Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Osiris CG trhows and expos

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Osiris CG trhows and expos

Hi guys just my to tell evry one i just got my Osiris flying it have 5 flights with the recommended cg 7” form le and (hacker combo 70 amp Speed control hi tech servos apc 15/10)
Im very impressed on the flying characteristics of the plane I’m beginning to think that the plane out flies me but also found the cg far back for my taste…..
It has a lot of KE coupling with the ail and been suffering windy conditions and not been able really to trim the model.
Dou you have any suggestions on throws and cg to get the most out of the plane??
Thanks!
Old 12-01-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Osiris CG trhows and expos

I suggest you move the cg forward about half an inch and try both a 16x10 and a 15x12 apc prop. I use about -40% expo on ailerons, -20% on elevator and -50% on rudder. But everyone has different preferences on expo so fly and adjust to your liking. Mix out the coupling and you should be good to go.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:43 PM

I felt the same way for the first few flights. The problems were mostly in pitch as I had too much elevator throw. I rechecked the elevator halves and decided they were slightly different as well. Cut the joiner apart and swapped the single Hitec for two Futaba minis. I also reduced the elevator throw to slightly below the suggestion in the manual for low rates and rechecked the CG to make sure I was just in front of the 7" point. These changes made a huge difference in the way the plane flew. I did have some roll/pitch coupling on knofe edge to mix out as well. I currently have 40% expo on aileron and elevator and 50% on rudder. This is for the low rate condition which still has enough authority to do snaps with a very positive stop.
The other change I made later was to switch to a APC 16X10 prop from the 15X10. The prop change made everything steadier and provided the extra power needed for a few maneuvers. If you are not using a throttle curve I would suggest a mild exponential to increase the motor response on the low end.

I like the plane much better now.

John

Old 12-01-2011, 05:26 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In Colorado (5400 ft) we are flying ours with the CG as stated.
We've been going to bigger diameter props on the Hackers. I'm using a 17x10, others are using 18x8. Seems to smooth the plane out and provide better downline speed control.
Dan

PS. John, glad you got one - you needed another plane!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:50 AM

thanks guys ill try the cg and post some info i dont know about the prop the 70 amp speed controll will take the aditional lod on the prop??? Im using the 5000 mha lipo

Thanks again
Old 12-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Dan,
My herd would be a bit thinner if you would stop stealing my customers.
But the Osiris is definitely one I will hang onto.
John
Old 12-02-2011, 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: grillo

thanks guys ill try the cg and post some info i dont know about the prop the 70 amp speed controll will take the aditional lod on the prop??? Im using the 5000 mha lipo

Thanks again
I know that it would work with the 16x10 prop. I have no experience with the 17 inch ones though.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:00 PM

What engine are you running the 17" prop on?? Hacker?? Thanks! Charlie
Old 12-03-2011, 12:07 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We are using the Hacker on 5s. I am using the castle 70lite, though i do have it mounted in direct airflow.
Dan
Old 12-06-2011, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the reply on the cg and throws for the plane; last week end I was able to fly just 1 flight due to the weather; I moved the cg ¼ (well i dont know about cg but the batt was moved fwd (actually one finger hahahahah)) and solved all my problems; In the KE the plane stopped trying to roll out; the elevator mix was close to minimal
Ill have to set the mix with rudder after setting the side trust….. still trimming (8 fligths total) but the weather has not been kind at all started raining on Sunday and had some snow on Monday………..
I shorted my T680 charger due to a missed attention so will order a new charger soon[:@][:@]
Probably the t6 multy so tat i can charge all the lipos at once

Have a blast thanks again!!!!!!!!