Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

60-90 pattern

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 03:30 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60-90 pattern

Is there any signficant cost advantage in electrifying the smaller pattern planes?
Old 08-20-2005, 07:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 60-90 pattern

Jeff,

If by smaller you mean a .40-size pattern plane then the answer is yes.

Check out my Skylark conversion thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2126230/anchors_2126230/mpage_1/key_skylark/anchor/tm.htm#2126230]here[/link].

Hobby Lobby used to sell this nicely built plane for around $150. When nobody bought them, they dumped their stock for $115 each.

A smaller plane is lighter in weight so you can buy less expensive motors, ESCs, and batteries.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:11 AM
My Feedback: (6)

First the 60-90- size I really don't like that term at all if you try to fly one of these planes with a 60 it's a real dog if they are ARF's at 8 1/2 lb or more, so lets say 90 size, what you run into for pattern is the same no matter what size 90 or 2 meter is flying time which means more batteries, chargers and balancers, so you would have to figure out what motor, controller and batteries you would need for the 90 size to get the preformance you need, but the problem with EP is that if you buy everything for the 90 size then you will have to stay within that range or then you will have to buy new motors, controller and batteies for the 2 meter, so the end results would be you spend more.
Steve Maxwell
Old 08-21-2005, 07:55 PM
My Feedback: (58)

Jeff,

Go with a 2M plane, you won't go back...

scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41033.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	313294  
Old 08-22-2005, 01:35 AM

I agree with Steve Maxwell, if you invest in equipment specifically for the "90-size" models, then this may not be useable for the 2M models. On the other hand, a "large 40-size" model can fly quite well on a 5s pack (5-6 Ah capacity) i.e. one of the two packs used for 2M models. Then you can later use two packs in series when you go to 2M models. You would require a new motor and regulator, but this is fairly (???) cheap compared to the batteries.
Invest in a charger that can handle up to 10s li-pos, and use a balancer.

Back to the original question:
Is there any signficant cost advantage in electrifying the smaller pattern planes?

Do you mean cost advantage compared to glow?

Any electric model will be more expensive than an equivalent glow model. More so the larger the model is, but even electric 40-size models are more expensive than the equivalent glow model. (Providing you actually include all expenses required for practical use.)

Magne