Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Rhino Lipos

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 04:18 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino Lipos

Hey Guys,

I thought I might get a couple of Rhino Lipos to try in my "soon to be flown" Black Magic v3. Can any of you tell me what kind of balancing tab is used on those packs. I just want to make sure I order some adaptors if I need to. Are they Kokham, Polyquest or JST??

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...0C_Lipoly_Pack

Thanks,
Emory</p>
Old 05-28-2009, 04:41 PM

Default RE: Rhino Lipos

Hi,

they have JSTblancing tabs.

David

Old 05-28-2009, 05:07 PM

Thanks, David. I could not find that information online and I sent them an email asking that question, but have not heard back from them.

Emory
<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-28-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: larger;">Patternflyer ... no point emailing them to ask, its a typical HK/China business, low prospects of a reply unlike US businesses. I got 8 packs of their 5S 20C 4,900 mAh packs and they are working fine but I for one would not push them to the max of 20C. So far no issues at all. You can read the reviews from their website and its safe to say about 99% are very happy with the batts.</span></span>
Old 05-29-2009, 06:14 PM
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tIANci
I have pushed my Rhinos hard and am very pleased with them. They run cooler
than the much more expensive Flight Powers I used to use.

tommy s</p>
Old 05-30-2009, 02:36 AM

<span style="font-size: larger;"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Tommy ... I noticed about the comparison with FP, I use FP 5S 4,900s too ... you are most correct.</span></span>
Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 AM

I have heard some positive things about these batteries. I figured for what they are selling them for, it was worth a try. On my last black magic, I have a Chinese motor similar to the AXI 5330/f3a, and it had almost identical performance to it for 1/3 of the price. I was very impressed with it and it worked great until I planted it into the ground!

You are right, though, about the customer service. Certanily not the best.

Thanks,
Emory
Old 06-22-2009, 11:25 AM
My Feedback: (41)

My experience with the Rhino's is very positive. They are pure power! At $69 a pack! Youkidding me???
My friend bought 7 packs Rhino setsfor both he and his dad and they are perfect so far. The weight is a little heavy at about 45 to 46 ounces for the 10S 2 packs in series setup. For me it puts both of my planes overweight by a smidge. OK for anything but the Nats.
I just bought two new Zippy Flightmax 5000 15C packs. Should be at the housetoday! They seem to have all the things I'm looking for Cheap at about $85 a pack and still light at about 41.5 to 42 ounces all up. That's the perfect combo for my setup which is either an AXI F3A or the Pletty Evo 30 both with the YGE 80 Amp controller.
I did some testing over the weekend and I found the Rhino's hold there power / voltage at WOT better than some of my other packs.
Now the kicker from some of the observations that we have been seeing locally is the better Lipo's seemingly have caused some of our setups to screech worse that in the past with the weaker lipo's. We've had to in many cases limit the ATV's to stop it from happening.
As Rosanne Rosanne Adanna would Say "It's always something"!
M2
Old 06-24-2009, 09:31 PM

Mups, are you able to provide data on voltage achieved from the Rhino packs please? Volts/Amps/RPM from the start and end of the flight at full throttle would be great.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:01 PM
My Feedback: (26)

Here's a Eagle Tree graph of a 20C 5s 4900mah Rhino(part of 10S setup). Hacker A60-20S spinning an APC 18x 10 pn. This is the fourth cycle. I have about 20 cycles on it now and it is still performing well. Pack weighs 635gm including the connector. The complete flight is above 3.5 volts/cell.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82511.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	1224204  
Old 06-25-2009, 08:04 AM

Sorry Twoturn but I don't have any Eagle Tree data on mine.
What I can tell you is they come down cooler than any pack I have ever ran including many Thunder Power Extreme V2's I had last year. Which by the way all failed before their 40th cycle.
I have noted that under a load Rhino's seem to hold voltage a lot better than the True RC 15C packs that I recently sold off.
At static loads of 75 to 80 amps the Trues would drop to about 35 volts and the Rhino's drop to about 37 on fresh packs.
Right now I'm testing 2 Zippy 15C setups. They have the weight I can live with. So far very impressive! I have friends who also seem to like the Zippy 15C packs. They are selling at around $80+ a pack which is a steal in my opinion. I also still think the TrueRC 10C packs work very well but the Rhino's and Zippy's are better under a load.
What remains to be seen is how long they last. The TrueRC 10C's are lasting very well. I have 1 pack that has 100 flights on it and it's still good enough for competition. Mike
Old 06-25-2009, 10:11 AM

Funny enough I seen many times when the Rhino ran cooler than the Flight Power packs ... I have a few Flight Power and my Rhinos were cooler. No proper data but am pretty sure the Rhino was pushed as hard as it was the same plane.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: tIANci

Funny enough I seen many times when the Rhino ran cooler than the Flight Power packs ... I have a few Flight Power and my Rhinos were cooler. No proper data but am pretty sure the Rhino was pushed as hard as it was the same plane.
All I can say is the temps on the packs after pushing them hard is impressive. The Rhino's are really great so far. $69 a pack is off the charts cheap. You have to think that Flight Power, Thunder Power and the likes are sickened by the pricing. Who in business wouldn't be to see pricing structures deteriorate so rapidly. I wish I had a crystal ball to see who's in business 2 years from now and what exactly lipo's will be selling for. M2
Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 AM

could anybody give a temperature estimate on the definition of "cooler then others"? I will measure mine within a few days I hope so I can give some feedback as well.

Volkert
Old 06-25-2009, 11:56 AM

Wagen ... when I fly using my FP batts they are warm ... the Rhino in the same plane is starting to get warm. We are not saying the Rhino gives more power for sure but the temps are something to think about.

Mups ... I purchased 8 packs of the Rhinos ... sad to say my FP ones bloated but FP was nice enough to replace them for me. I was using the FP 20C 5S 4,900s. I still have 4 new FP packs in the hobby room, will not be bringing them out for the meantime.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:17 PM

This past weekend I flew in the pattern contest in Dunlay Texas, outside temperature
fluctuated between 104 to 108 degrees, lets just say it was South Texas hot !!
The 3700 mah Rhino packs in my pattern plane performed flawlessly and never heated over
109 to 110 degrees after flying the advanced pattern schedule. I put a 50% charge in them
Sunday evening and they all were at about 85% power used. I have seven sets that were
charged Friday night before the contest and weren't charged at all the whole weekend.
I used one set for trim and practice Saturday morning, four sets for four rounds on Saturday,
and two sets on Sunday. There is no way I could afford seven sets of the other "name brand" lipos.
I couldn't be happier with the Rhino batteries. It's pretty amazing you can push them that hard and
they don't heat up drastically.

tommy s
Old 06-29-2009, 06:50 PM

tommy,
I've been telling everyone who will listen that the Zippy Rhino 3700 packs are every bit as good as the TP Extreme V2 3850 packs that cost 3X as much. I'm pulling 60 to 70 amps WOT with my setups, and the packs run very cool (with almost no airflow over them). I now have 4 6S packs and counting
Ed
Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 PM

I agree Ed, I don't know how many cycles they will get but they are definitely a
bargain at their price.

tommy s
Old 06-30-2009, 12:34 AM

Ed ... good to see you here more often now. Are you going to impart your pearls of wisdom to us here? Ed is the man! Hehehehee ...
Old 06-30-2009, 07:10 AM

ORIGINAL: tIANci

Ed ... good to see you here more often now. Are you going to impart your pearls of wisdom to us here? Ed is the man! Hehehehee ...

tIANci,
You give me too much credit, but thank you for your flattering comment
Ed
Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 AM

Ed ... you always help out and you have tried enough set ups to be able to assist. That means you have been over spending!

Okay back to Rhinos ... I got my 5S 4900s and I feel that I cannot use up to say 4,000 mAh without feeling the loss of power. I am feeling that I can only get about 2,800 mAh out of her before it feels a little soft. Is it me, my charger/balancer (Tahmazo T15/VBlance) or something else?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:40 PM

I guess it must be you ( :-) ). I flew at one of my first flights with the Rhino 4900 to 4450mAh without any apparent loss of power. Now I reduced the flight time so I use 3500-4000mAh and that is working fine.

Volkert
Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 PM

Question is what am I doing wrong? I think I better get a onboard monitoring system like the Eagle Tree. Hmmmm ... or I need a coffee before the flight.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:34 AM

it might just be that one pack.... what is your end voltage at the end of the flight? What is the internal resistance of the individual cells? Normally you can measure this with the charger.

Volkert
Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 AM
OhD

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: mups53

My experience with the Rhino's is very positive. They are pure power! At $69 a pack! You kidding me???
My friend bought 7 packs Rhino sets for both he and his dad and they are perfect so far. The weight is a little heavy at about 45 to 46 ounces for the 10S 2 packs in series setup. For me it puts both of my planes overweight by a smidge. OK for anything but the Nats.
I just bought two new Zippy Flightmax 5000 15C packs. Should be at the house today! They seem to have all the things I'm looking for Cheap at about $85 a pack and still light at about 41.5 to 42 ounces all up. That's the perfect combo for my setup which is either an AXI F3A or the Pletty Evo 30 both with the YGE 80 Amp controller.
I did some testing over the weekend and I found the Rhino's hold there power / voltage at WOT better than some of my other packs.
Now the kicker from some of the observations that we have been seeing locally is the better Lipo's seemingly have caused some of our setups to screech worse that in the past with the weaker lipo's. We've had to in many cases limit the ATV's to stop it from happening.
As Rosanne Rosanne Adanna would Say ''It's always something''!
M2
Mike, what kind of IRs are you seeing?

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.