Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
 lipo batteries and charger >

lipo batteries and charger

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

lipo batteries and charger

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lipo batteries and charger

hi all

ive just got a stock hummingbird (370 motor) i can hover the heli untill the pack is empty
and know im in need of longer flight time

can anyone recomend a lipo(or what ever they are called) battery and charger(part numbers)or a web address im in the uk

thanks

miskin
Old 02-29-2004, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lipo batteries and charger

You'll want to use a 3 cell Lithium Polymer (LiPo) battery on the HB. It will fly with a 2 cell but not as well. I'm using 2 different batteries in mine, an 860 mAH and a 1320 mAH. Both are Thunder Power batteries. It seems to fly better with the 860 mAH because of the lower weight. Although I believe the stock battery is a 700 mAH NiMH battery so flight times won't be much greater with the 860 mAH LiPo.

As far as chargers go, I'm using a Hobbico Quick Charger MK II, which I've been happy with. I've heard some say that it doesn't charge the batteries up fully. Other choices are the Great Planes Triton, Astroflight I know makes Lithium chargers, and there are others. I don't have any experience with them though. Someone else here I'm sure does.

Lithium Polymer batteries are the way to go. You need to be careful with them, though. There have been cases of these batteries exploding. It seems to always be the case of a charger failing to shut off, over discharging the battery or charging at too high of a current. Never charge them at more than 1C, that is, 1X their rated current. For example, for a 1320 mAH battery, charge it at no more than 1.32 amps. Also, never charge them unattended. Keep an eye (or finger) on the temperature, mine never really get warm at all. I've had no problems with mine. But it's something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps,

Mike