Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
 Megachoppers any good?? >

Megachoppers any good??

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Megachoppers any good??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megachoppers any good??

Hey:

Just wondering guys, have a chance to get a megachopper, the one that is sold at most radio shacks here in Canada. Is this chopper any good indoors?? Can u hover it at all?? I have read the stuff about it on various sites, some say u can hover some say its just one that can go up down and left and right.

Is it worth getting compared to the Bladerunner??

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:54 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Megachoppers any good??

I think youre better off with the bladerunner.
This megachopper doesnt seem to be able to hover, as I dont see any rotor pitch capabilities.
I think it flies because of a slight forward centre of gravity, so it automaticly starts going forward. It ll be flying like an airplane.
Although I think that will be an interesting flight, I think its more fun to fly the BR. But I guess you can call that personal taste.
Also, I think the megachopper is rather expencive for what it does.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:09 PM

The megachopper should not be considered a helicopter because they're is no way to control it's flight. It is more like a wild rocket with a small rudder. Buy the bladerunner instead. You can control that.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:58 PM

- No, you can't hover it if you are talking about a stand-still one.
- And, yes it can do more than just point left and right i.e. you can move it around but with poor precision.

I have never flown any helicopters or any other sort of choppers so I don't know how megachopper compares but I think it's a fun toy and here is how it works: you only have two controls - throttle and left/right control. Throttle controls the speed of the main rotor and proportionally the tail rotor. The left/right control just increases/decreases the tail rotor speed slightly to move the tail around. You add throttle to start flying it. As soon as it lifts off the ground, it starts drifting to the left. The plane "drifts" i.e. the whole chopper starts moving sideways to the left and not the nose rotating to the left. The amount of drift is dependent on throttle. If you add more throttle, it would fly higher and drift faster to the left and vice-versa. From then on, anytime you add throttle, it drifts left and anytime you reduce throttle, you drift right. Of course, the altitude changes as well. You use, left/right control to move the tail around in the obvious manner. If you are drifting to the left and you move the tail (and thus the nose) to the left by 90 degrees, the chopper would start flying in the direction of the nose and it would keep doing so unless you change something. That's how you fly it - look at where it's drifting and then change the tail/nose direction to make it go where you want it to go. Then to make it go in some other direction, you add/remove the throttle slightly to get it drifting in a different direction and then move the tail around. It's easy to fly it but it's very hard to fly it even with a moderate precision due to a variety of other reasons. Total precision is impossible. After quite a bit of practice, I am able to fly it indoors in a 10x10 feet room - sort of flying in rough circles but I can't, for example, fly it from one room to another. I think it's outside of the chopper's capability to be flown so accurately.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:11 PM

Any alternatives to Megachoppers toy in around the same price range besides the Bladerunner? I think the Bladerunner can only be flown indoors.

Anyone have any mods to the Megachoppers in terms of flight control?

Thanks,
Steve

P.S. I'm a pre-nooB