Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
 Blade set up Question? >

Blade set up Question?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Blade set up Question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade set up Question?

I have a Jabo II and the blades are loose, I know they are supposed to be somewhat loose but how to I set them up, also the small blades on the head(stabilizer blades??) how are they supposed to be set?

Thanks
Bill
Old 12-27-2004, 05:10 AM

Default RE: Blade set up Question?

I also have a jabo 2,Make sure the main rotor blades are tight but not that tight that when you crash they dont move,you want them to move a little incase of a strike with a forign object.
As for the paddles,make sure they are aligned with the swash plate,looking from side,the swash plate and the paddle should be identical in pitch.Make sure the screws that hold the paddles tight are secure and wont move in flight.
Hope this helps,i actually just did this properly last night,and while i have flown before to some degree,after this critical trimming procedure it now flys like a dream,honest make sure your trimmed out well to get the best flights.
Cheers
Gaz
Incase your interested have a look at my video on homepage http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.austin7 this was before the trimming out,so imagine how much more stable this would have been if setup correctly in the first place.
Good Luck
Gaz
Old 12-27-2004, 05:44 AM

Gaz, thanks for the advice, I did watch your video, I hope me and my son can fly like that one day. How do you like your Jabo II so far?

Bill
Old 12-27-2004, 06:08 AM

Thanks from me too Gaz. I just got mine after waiting on it since the 3rd and I've yet to get it airborne. Just spinning it up till it gets light on its skids and getting the feel for the controls now. Glad I got the throttle down pat, Had a couple intances when it was trying to attack me. While I'm waiting for the batteries to charge again I do some dammage on the sim I got with it. Man I think I found a new hobby.

By the way, I'm glad that someone other than me has this brand of heli. You hardly ever hear its name said on this website. Well they're gonna hear it alot more since I finnally recieved mine.

Mike
Old 12-27-2004, 09:28 AM

How tight to set up the blades?
I would tighten them down until they won't move, then back up until they will just start to fall slowly by their own weight when turn side way. This will provide the lead/lag in flight as the main goal (thus reduce the vibrations), then when you hit something they will fold and lessen the damage is just the side benefit. When the rotor turns clockwise (looking from the top), the advancing blade at 9 o'clock will have a "lag" or slightly behide the center line, while the retreating one will have a "lead", which is somewhat ahead of the center line. The lag caused by the leading edge fighting with the incoming air flow while the lead caused by the help of the air flow. Imagine yourself walking into the wind (lag) and with the wind (lead).
Old 12-27-2004, 10:24 PM

Thanks again for the advice, I broke a rotor head and can not fly until it comes in. I am taking the time off to learn a few things about tuning!

Bill
Old 12-29-2004, 08:45 PM

Hi,

I'm a newbie and got a Jabo II week ago from ebay. Today, I broke the landing gear while practicing. Can someone tell me the best place to buy (inexpensive) replacement parts? I live in the U.S. Thanks!!!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 09:36 PM

[link=http://www.hobbyjapan2000.com/store/products.php?cat=22]Hobbyjapan2000[/link] has some parts if you know the part number for it. I bought mine of eBay too off of [link=http://www.uce-tech.com/rcetechomopo.asp?number=16&head=1&headers=JABO%20I I%20Spare%20Parts]this[/link] guy but I don't know if he's respectable enough to do business with again cause of how he handled me with my purchase. Was your manual even close to what you've received? Mine was totally off on just about everything in it. Thank god for this site for I wouldn't have a clue on how to set this up. My manual's breakdown of the parts has everything mixed up.( Landing gear # cross referenced says its a rotor in my manual) Also my throttle is on the left and the manual said it's on the right. Came directly from China so maybe something was lost in the translation, But thats no excuse. As far as spare parts go, This is about all I know. Wish I did more research on it before I bought it, My LHS doesnt handle any heli parts so it's all online for me. My next purchase will be something more common.

I also broke my landing gear too. Thank goodness for superglue and zip ties.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:57 AM

Thanks for the info Major.
I figure I'll glue it until I really know what I'm doing. My manual was totally wrong as well. It's a good thing I checked out this site before deciding to buy.
How long did it take you to get the hang of it? Right now I'm limited to flying in my basement in an area that is about 15 ft wide and 20ft long and it's been tough. However, I actually broke the landing gear the only time I tried it outdoors. What do you look for when setting/adjusting the trims on the controller? No matter what I do my heli always drifts left on initial lift off. Then I fight to stabilize it to no avail. Any ideas?
Thanks again!!!
Old 12-31-2004, 09:29 AM

I'm in the same boat as you are, I'm totally new to heli's. I flew fixed wings many moons ago and decided to get back into RC'ing again. I had several cars too but they are nothing like flying a heli. So far I haven't had my heli off the ground too far, Mine drifts left and the tail go's right when I accelerate and I scare myself into shutting down the throttle and land. As far as the adjusting the trim go's, You'll have to adjust it twice. Once when your learning with the training gear on the ground still and another when you actually get airborne, I've yet to get that far though. I can get it to hover with the training gear just off the ground but I always over correct myself. Also you might have to adjust your flybar (The short blades between the main rotor) alittle. Mine was pitched when I got it out of the box. From what I understand they should be straight with the swashplate. I've also heard that if you give it a little + pitch it will help you hover a little easier. It didn't really change much for me when I did that so I set them back to straight. Did you tighten your main rotor blades? You should tighten them so they're just lose enough to fold in a crash. I've nicked about everything in my house with them and so far I haven't broken them yet. Another reason to leave them loose is so they can straighten themselve out to were they want to be when the centifagal force is applied with throttle.

I only have about 8'x8' to play in so your doing alot better than me for room. I also tried to take mine outside but it's been to cold and windy to fly a micro. I need to find a indoor spot thats bigger than what I'm learrning in now. When this Ohio weather straightens out I'll try to fly it outside again.

Mike
Old 01-01-2005, 08:22 PM

I've purchased Jabo II parts several times from
http://stores.ebay.com/HELICOPTER-WHOLESALE.
**** = ebay . com

They have the Jabo II Landing gear PART JB-1065 for $9.00.

Some parts are better priced compared to other places I shopped.

The only problem is it takes 10 to 14 days to ship.

Novak
Old 01-03-2005, 12:20 PM

Thanks KidNovak.

The link was cut off for some reason. Can you PM it to me or give me the seller's ID? I'd like to order some parts today. How do you like your Jabo? It's my second week and I'm really getting frustrated. I have a couple nitro trucks and this is my first Heli. It's very addicting. I just wish I was better at it.