Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
 Want to buy Heli >

Want to buy Heli

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Want to buy Heli

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 11:54 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to buy Heli

Hello,

I am think of buying a small electric heli and I only have $130 to spend.
I have seen some on ebay for Dragonfly helis for $100 or so.
They include the flight sim and cable and training gear and some have crash kits.
Are these crap or are they decent?
Here are some examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DRAGONFLY-RADIO-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Walkera-Dragonfl...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks

Rob
Old 09-25-2005, 11:44 PM

Default RE: Want to buy Heli

Hi Tomcatguy.

That's a good starting model. The radio is crap, the Heli is cheaply made. The servo's are of questionable quality, and make sure it's a version 2 (with the Fiberglass head stiffener).

But it's a good starting point. I fly mine almost stock now. Just a little trimmed off the main blades to make it more stable. Look through these forums for the Walkera 4 thread.

They are easy to fix, and cheap to repair. And very forgiving, but are quite difficult to fly. Even for a micro-electric.

Although it might not sounds like it, I'm actually a big fan of the model. I fly it around the house most days

David
Old 09-26-2005, 12:06 AM

Hey thanks for the info oops! Here is the Heli I really want to buy.
Please tell me if it is worth it or not.
Is it ok to buy from China?

Here is the heli:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Dragonfly-...QQcmdZViewItem

It comes with a crap load of parts and accessories and is $105 shipped!!!

please LMK what you think asap as it is about to end.

Thanks oops!

Rob
Old 09-26-2005, 12:34 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Wow, that's ALOT of crap that helicopter comes with, and only $35 shipping, and the guy has 100% feedback!
It also looks like the new version with the head stiffener.

I'd say go for it. I don't know where you live, but in Canada, ordering from honk kong actually works to our advantage, because, for some unknown reason, there is no customs charges for packages from HK coming to Canada.

If you can score that package for under $80 you should be all over it, becuase that comes with alot of extras for that price.

Sure, it's not the best helicopter on the planet, but for that price, you can't beat it. Just make sure you go over the helicopter first and inspect everything, make sure everything works and moves properly, and ask questions on these forums. It'll save you alot of trouble in the long run, believe me!
Old 09-26-2005, 12:36 AM

Will that flight sim work with my XP run computer?

Rob
Old 09-26-2005, 12:48 AM

Aslong as your system has a serial port, it SHOULD work. I've used it sucessfully on win2k. WinXP uses the win2k core, so there shouldn't be any compatability problems. Sometimes it does require some fiddling with settings, but there's plenty of posts here on that subject to help you with setting it up for the simulator.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:49 AM

Cool, I am going to buy right now. Thanks for all your help!!!

Rob
Old 09-26-2005, 02:47 AM

Those foam blades look interesting. Has anyone else here tried them?

David
Old 09-26-2005, 09:37 AM

Be sure to give us a review of it when you get it, I am looking for my first heli and this one looks pretty good.

Thanks for the post.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:17 PM

I watched the video in the auction and it looks like those foam blades are on the heli and it looks very stable. And he was flying outside. I have asked loads of questions to the seller and she speaks and types english quite fluently so I will keep in touch with her through out the shipping and even after the heli gets here. It is coming from China so I will keep my faith that everything will come as in the picture.
I am nervous about the price and it coming from over seas because I have been told that the quality is not as good as the US or the UK or even Europe for that matter. However after asking the questions to the seller, I feel a little bit better knowing she has a 100% feedback rating and responds to all my emails within a 1/2 hour period.

If you want to contact her and ask your own questions her Ebay ID is ppmm1983.
You can even use the link in the auction above to get ahold of her. Her real name is Alice.

I will keep you all informed on the progress. I should expect my baby in the mail in 7 or so days due to weekends.

Thanks for all the help fellas

Rob
Old 09-26-2005, 04:46 PM

As a side note, just about all of the micro helicopters are pretty similar in terms of construction. They all "feel" cheap, regardless of where they're made (and almost all of them are made in china). To get the real feeling of quality, you need to move up to bigger models. In the micro range, the shogun, t-rex and X-400 are the "quality" helicopters that feel solidly built. As stated, I actually enjoy ordering stuff from HK because it's cheaper for me, and to be honest, I tend to receive packages quicker from HK than I do from the US, no doubt because US - Canada customs are a bit more closely watched now ever since 9/11. I've never had a package lost coming from overseas (which is more than I can say for ordering packages within the continent, which is kind of sad, really).
Old 09-27-2005, 06:56 PM

I would be interested to see how those foam blades work-especially since you have to use plastic "gaskets" to adjust the pitch of the blades. Without a pitch gauge it seems like it would be difficult to get them both the same.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:13 PM

I could disconnect the whole head and use a protractor. You think that could work?