Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
 New LiPo down to 4 min flight time?? >

New LiPo down to 4 min flight time??

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

New LiPo down to 4 min flight time??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LiPo down to 4 min flight time??

Hey guys, I just got a 3c 1300 mah lipo a week or so ago. got arobatics kit and new motor. got vision peak ultra charge. I charge my battery at 1.3a I never quick charge.

Recently after installing the "super landing gear" I noticed my flight time went from 20 min or so to 4. This might be a coincidence with the landing gear because when I can not hover any longer at full power, my battery still shows it has 12volts or so. Full charge im at 12.55v

Battery still has a full peak charge of 12.55v and shows around the same when totally charged.

For some reason I seem to lose major power with this battery. even full throttle trim sounds as if the rotors are turning slower, even on my full charged battery. Then i get 3-4 min hovering time and its done. no lift at all.

Could I have gotten a bad battery that lasted only about 10-20 charges? or does this sound like another problem like the 4 in 1 or something.

Im really lost about this one... hope to hear your suggestions soon
Old 01-17-2006, 09:29 AM

Default RE: New LiPo down to 4 min flight time??

i had the same problem. first try the stock batt if you still have it or another lipo if available. if the problem is the same try and check the gear mesh. you should be able to run a piece of paper thru the gears and it will come out like a fan fold. if this is ok try switching back to the old motor just dont run the 10 tooth motor to long and watch the temp. if this helps you have a bad motor. also while you have the motor out spin the head to check the bearings. hope this helps! ps. double check the motor you got with the aerobatics kit is a 9 tooth pinion.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:23 AM

From experience I can tell you this sounds very much like a motor problem. After hovering for a few minutes, touch the motor to see if it's hot. If it is, the motor needs to be replaced. Like reiffron said, make sure your using the 9T motor.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:32 PM

A good way to tell if a battery is messed up is to simply notice how long it takes to fully charge. If it is about the same amount of time as when it was working fine then there is probably nothing wrong with it. Of course, it should be discharged before you start. My 3 cell is dead when it reads just under 10V immediately after flying, it then gradually rises to ~10.2 and that is when I put it on the charger. I use a charger that displays the mah for each charge and I usually get ~1190 mah into my 1200 mah 3 cell when I run it down all the way.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:33 PM

I will try and switch out the motor and go back to stock battery. Yes, my motor is Very hot after on a few min of flying with a heat sink on. Also yes, I verified that is indeed a 9pin motor.

With stock motor, stock battery, arobatic blades, and super landing gear. how much time do u think i should get flight time?
Im not sure cause that landing gear is heavier than stock.

Also, When should my motor be very hot to touch. after about how many min of hovering?

p.s. my battery takes same time to charge. about 1hr 10 min. from about 11.30 v to 12.55 v

i also notice that today, i flew fine for 10 mins. then couldnt hover. then landing for 10 sec, then I could hover good for 2 min. rinse repeat 2 more times. But still wasnet 20 mins total hover time without landing
Old 01-17-2006, 10:37 PM

It should never be very hot to the touch. That's looks like your problem. They should only be a little warm.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:41 PM

doh.. guess I got a bad motor then
I just got done flying a bit and once again it was VERY hot and smelled a bit like something burning
the 4 in 1 was a bit warm but not hot.

p.s. Is there some thing I should do to break in a new motor? or u dont really have to?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 AM

i like the water method of breaking in a motor, use a d cell battery and connect it to the motor. dip it in a glass of water and let run for about 30 minutes. remove from water and disconnect batt, blow dry and lube bearings. sounds funny but it works. the water will keep the commutater clean while the brushes wear in. the only thing on a brushed motor that needs to be broken in is the brushes, they come with a flat face when new. as they run they begin to form a round face to match the shape of the commutator. the water keeps the comm clean and lubed during break in. there are many ways but this one works for me.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:41 AM

ur right, that does sound funny I never would have thought u could submerge a motor in water. 30 min? that sounds long but ill take ur work for it. How long does it make ur motors last? Also, lube what part of the motor. Im assuming bearing are inside the motor. should i take it apart? Or u just talking about lubing the pinion?

p.s. thx for replys
Old 01-18-2006, 06:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Almost sounds like the landing gear is to heavy for it. With more weight, throttle needs to be higher, motor runs hotter, batt. run is shorter. Why not put the stock landing gear back on and see what it does ?.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:45 AM

SUCCESS!!! Thx all for the help. It was a failing motor. I just bought a new 9pinion motor and i got about 17-18 min hover time. Thats more like it

p.s. I noticed when I bought this motor the cord was factory wraped around the pinion. My other motor was not, and was in the acrobatics kit. Seeing as my failing motor was almost brand new, im thinking someone might have done a old switch-a-roo.
Anyhow, from now on im looking for new motors with the cord factory wraped tight around the pinion ")