Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 F-22 EDF twin MF480 balsa and ply >

F-22 EDF twin MF480 balsa and ply

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

F-22 EDF twin MF480 balsa and ply

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-22 EDF twin MF480 balsa and ply

I thought I'd post some pics on a project I've been working on for a long time now. I don't visit RCU much but the EZone/RCGroups is down right now so I figured I'd drop by here for a visit. There's a thread on the EZone EDF forum with a lot of pictures. I've got more work done since the last pics were posted, I need to take some more. Current status is the wings are glued on and the retracts are all in, but still there's much to do. The Best In The West jet rally is in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to get ready for that. The paint will probably still be wet but I think I'll make it.

This is my own design developed with the side and top view that comes with the Italeri 1/48th model kit. I cut one up to get the cross sections, and had to match those to the side view provided, which took some finagling. The outline is very scale but not totally. Mostly the deviations are not noticeable, such as the landing gear bulges on the bottom of the fuselage/wing joint, and some fairings on the tail, but the outline is pretty much 100 percent. The fuse is lite ply bulkheads and 3/32 balsa sheeting. The canopy is blue foam covered in glass, I could make that into a plug or cast it in plaster to make a vacuum forming plug. The wings are foam covered with balsa, cut on my homemade wire cutting bow powered by a cheapo power supply I got from aircraftspruce and specialty (homebuilt aircraft supplies). I've probably cut 30 wings and tail cores with that thing, best 30 bucks I've ever spent.

My plan is to eventually have most of the parts, including most of the fuselage sheeting, laser cut. It would save a lot of time over having to measure and cut each piece, which can be time consuming, but I guess I like working with balsa. There is some strip planking involved but not much, and with CA strip planking isn't really a big deal, there's no need to give it accupuncture with 100 needles sticking out of it, holding the balsa in place.

The finish will but Ultracoat Lite Clear film, and that will be painted with Testors Model Master sprays. I covered my scratchbuilt A-10 this way as well, and after two years the paint is still sticking and from a few feet it looks like a glass job. The clear can be stretched around corners like you wouldn't believe if you use a heat gun and have an extra set of hands.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74478.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	251875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85080.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	251876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64353.jpg
Views:	1726
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	251877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75116.jpg
Views:	1228
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	251878  
Old 03-31-2005, 12:01 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: F-22 EDF twin MF480 balsa and ply

Very nice job. I am building the DF-22 and the lighter gray is Monokote Dove Gray and the painted parts use the matching Dove Gray Monokote paint. The darker gray is Testors Model Master Gunship Gray.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:28 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it fly?
Old 05-08-2005, 12:10 PM

Beautiful!!!

I've been trying to find plans or a kit for the F22 in EDF but haven't had any luck.
Please let us know how it goes !!!