Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 Best -Ducted Fan e-jet for the money ????? >

Best -Ducted Fan e-jet for the money ?????

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Best -Ducted Fan e-jet for the money ?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 06:57 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best -Ducted Fan e-jet for the money ?????

Ok please chime in , include the price of plane -engine and speed contol only - do not include the servos , batteries ect .
So far based on video - Alpha F86- seems to be the choice -again based on $169 , plus engine plus speed control aprox $319 .
Can this performance be beaten with another ducted fan ARF -e -plane for the money ??????
Old 09-14-2005, 08:39 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Best -Ducted Fan e-jet for the money ?????

Have you considered a 3Dfoamy F-18 pusher? You don't see the prop in flight and they are awsome fliers!!![sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-14-2005, 09:09 PM
My Feedback: (13)

It may be just me, but the last time I checked, a pusher was not a EDF...

Again that just may be me...
Old 09-14-2005, 09:18 PM

You would be absolutly correct sir. I was merely offering a low cost good looking and good flying plane. My sincere appology.[]
Old 09-15-2005, 04:47 AM
LDM

Vic , yes I actually have that plane , but i was looking for a DF . Most of the conversions of the that plane were done with GWS and the performance was ok but not near as fast as the Alpha .
IN addition the 3d foamys are kits not ARF .thanks for your reply
Old 09-15-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LDM,

There are what I would consider much better kits out there for the money than the Alfa F-86 or Mig-15. They include the HET-RC FA-18 ARF and HET-RC Sniper. The FA-18 is a pre-covered balsa model and the Sniper is a Fiberglass Fuselage model!!! These far exceed the Foam Alfa jets in durability and performance capability right out of the box, without additional re-inforcements that are required for the Alfa's to hold up to high stress. Moreover, they are both Minifan-480 models, so you take a serious step up in performance with these models, which are capable of speeds in excess of 100+ mph; this far exceeds the speed of foam you will get with the Alfa's. Additionally, they can still fly slow enough for easy, gentle landings. I see many people buy the Alfa Mig or F-86, only to trash the fuse or pull the wings off and head to the trash bin. The FA-18 and Sniper both have an extensive set of replacement parts available, so of something happens, you are not stuck with buying the whole kit...just get the part you need! There is even a vendor or two offering a "replacement kit" plan for them...Alfa's can touch this and it makes you wonder why they sell like they do.

Don't get me wrong, the Alfa's are a nice foam EDF, probably the best available right now. However, they don't hold a candle to the Minifan 480 series of performance Jets. Also, they do not allow you to readily move your power plant over to many other models, where as the Minifan 480's are the foundation for affordable performance EDF. This means there are litterally dozens of models available in which you could move or reuse your Minifan 480 and power plant. That's just smart buying.

...And speaking of Buying, you can get a HET-RC FA-18 for $126, Wemotec Minifan 480 (The standard for EDF's) for $41, 2 Turn 400 sized Brushless Motor for $55 (depending on what you want, they can go up to about $130 for the 700 watt motors), and 40-55 amp ESC for $55-$85. The Sniper with Fiberglass Fuselage is $161 and the other parts are the same. This means you can have a Balsa (means it's repairable) Performance FA-18 with Minifan 480, 450watt Brushless motor and ESC for ...

...$287!!! That beats the Alfa price of $319 by over $30! Oh, did I forget to mention that those prices INCLUDE SHIPPING!!! The Sniper can be had for $312 with Jet, Fan, Motor and ESC...again with FREE SHIPPING. That's a fiberglass Fuse model shipped for under the Alfa price...hmmm, I would be sold! If it sounds like I am a vendor, I am not; I just like to help show people that true Minifan 480 Performance Jets are in the price range now for about everyone. A side note is that you can upgrade either of these to a 700W power plant and up you cost to only $320-400, depending on the motor and ESC you choose. Just one final point to make is that the FA-18 model is an ARF, already covered requiring wings, and tails to be mounted, then radio, fan and motor installed. The same goes for the Sniper and both models come in two color patterns.

I am not trying to sway your decision, but for the Performance, Reliability, Speed, Availability of Parts and just plain Wow Factor, I think you should take a hard look at Minifan 480 models...just a thought to consider. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Have a great one and good luck on your decision!

Carl
Old 09-15-2005, 09:46 PM
LDM

Carl . I have to say that for the most part I have been on this sight in the gas warbirds section and that is where my expertise is at , so on that note I would like to say that your answer was not only well thought out but very much appreciated .Its not about being wrong or right , but you supplied the facts , the interest and the answers that I needed . Thanks agian for your imput and now all I need to do is find that websight .You have me sold , no questions asked , I am going with the HET F18 , do you happened to have a web address ??
Thanks agian Carl and to all that replied
Old 09-16-2005, 10:37 PM

LDM,

I would be happy to help. There are several places that usually carry the HET FA-18's; I recommend the following... one is www.rtmodels.com in Florida and the other is www.warbirds-rc.com; Warbirds-RC is the one with free shipping, but RT may also offer it...I am not sure. I also recommend you get the FA-18, Wemotec Minifan 480 and the HET RC 2W Brushless Motor for a good 450 watt setup. The ESC is probably one of your most important items and can be purchased from one of my favorite vendors, Esprit Models in Florida. His website is www.espritmodel.com and he has several speed controllers from which to choose. There are also many other vendors that carry good ESC's.

I usually spend the extra money myself and buy the Hackers, but any of the 40-60 amp controllers work. Eflite has a 40 amp ESC at $55, there is a Hyperion 50 amp OPTO at $85, a Castle Creations Phoenix 45 amp ESC for $102 and a Jeti 40 amp O Plus ESC (OPTO) for $109. The EFlite can only be run with a 3S Lipo pack 450 watt power system, so there is no room for expansion. The Castle Creations Phoenix 45 can run a 3S Lipo pack 450 watt setup fine with BEC (power to the receiver) while the Hyperion 50 amp OPTO would need a battery or U-BEC. Moreover, they can both handle 4S Lipo packs for 700 watt power setups but you will need to supply power to the receiver from a separate small battery pack or U-BEC Eliminator pack. The Jeti O Plus ESC can run 3S or 4S Lipo packs and will need a battery or UBEC for the receiver .

I would suggest you check out the largest thread in the world of RC, the FA-18 thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204374

You will find tons of tips on the model regarding mods, gear adds, and power plant choices. Let me know if you have any questions.

Have a great weekend,

Carl
Old 09-17-2005, 06:14 AM
LDM

Thanks Carl , if you ever need help on the Prop warbirds look me up, your help has been outstanding , thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2005, 07:03 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Hi LDM,

Carl has given some great comments on all the above. Take his word as Gospel as he is very involved in the EDF's and in fact has done the Sniper manual, FA-18, as well as the Skyray manual that Markos warbirds-rc.com and I sell on RT Models.com.

Carl is a great asset to the RC Community to have him add to threads like these

Sorry I can't do the free shipping like Markos even though we work close together. I am in fact very slowly phasing out EDF's as I have had my own kit line for the past 5 years and spending more time on my true love of Canadian aircraft and RC designs based on them.

Thanks,
Old 10-01-2005, 08:04 AM

Minx, plans build, microfan razor 300 1320 tp PL 3s
Old 10-01-2005, 09:21 PM

Carl, Very informative indeed. I saw a vid of the HET forwarded to me by Jack Farland in FLA.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Soooo Mark, any good clearance offers?
Old 10-02-2005, 04:37 AM
LDM

Dave do you have a webaddress for the MINX plans or video Link , I tried searching by name and it would not come up
Thanks
LDM

Vic , do you still fly Prop plane , I am building a second H9 corsair
Old 10-02-2005, 11:51 AM

a friend of mine makes his own version of the minx called an ultra minx but doesnt have any kits at the moment if u look him up on here though his name is wireit and he has a pic of the orig. minx as his avatar
in the subject of edf jets i just built my sortaown design stryker edf , i used a gws 64edf with a park 400 inrunner on 3 lipo cells with a phoneix 25 esc only did a few short flights today down the road in a sraight line but it was handling GREAT! flies just like a regular stryker and had good thrust at half throttle but looks more like a jet because of a canopy modified from a crashed hell raiser bipe if u wanna know more u can email me at [email protected] if all goes right i should have it with me at apoka for all u florida guys to see ok just my 2 cents
Old 10-02-2005, 11:52 AM

the guy that makes the ultra minx is Joe Peek and he works at noells in wildwood, florida
Old 10-02-2005, 12:16 PM

im sorry didnt realize this was rcu joe is on rcgroups sorry
Old 10-03-2005, 01:48 PM
My Feedback: (1)

EDF-wise I've only experience w/ the Shulman foamy 18 (built myself w/ AXI 2120-12 (I think..) Phoenix 25, TP 3S 1320. Pretty darn good, though too draggy to be very fast but outa sight vertical. Terrific for practice for the trurbines....very pleased except for lack of a screaming top end.....but it is what it is....

...and the Alfa MiG. I'm truly impressed w/ that, mine with the HiMax 2025-5300, Phoenix 25 and TP 3S 2100s, HiTec Electron 6. Almost 1:1, so it will run outa vertical, as big a loop as you wish, very fast compared to the foamy 18, very stable even if quite windy, terrific engineering, very turbine like (though much faster thrust response). Even ROGrass..and very well, too, direction controlled on ground w/ ailerons (if needed), just gun it and it takes off automagically w/o ANY control input in about 75'. Truly.....once trimmed for flight, gun it and go to shallow climb w/o input. And, all for $258, shipped, from eflightline.com (kit w/ fan, HiMax, P25...even two Pico servos!). Takes some skill/patience to put it together perfectly (aligning wings/stabs), nimble fingers for installing servos, etc. And the skin is easily dented, otherwise it's actually pretty rugged. Build as they say.

Pretty looking, quite scale looks and flight, excellent instructions, and decals. Everything included except the glues. Need a week of evenings if yer really taking your time and particular/getting it all perfectly correct. I used JR micro digitals...controls are absolutely no slop and precise...it's on rails. I'm very happy w/ it, actually don't know how it might be improved (except maybe the skin softness); the HiMax from eflightline comes w/ bushing adaptor for perfect fit, runs cool and strong/all is reliable. There may well be more powerful motors that fit...and we always want more..., but this is a strong combo, far improved over the HL stock configuration...and much cheaper from the e-boys.

Ray
Old 10-03-2005, 02:48 PM
My Feedback: (29)

ORIGINAL: vicman
Soooo Mark, any good clearance offers?

Pending good flight reports on the upcoming HET-RC F-20 I'll stick a few up at a good price for a day or so just to get them out into the public.

Final pricing has yet to be placed on them as of this date though. As for anything else check the for sale page on the website I do once in a while throw up some items.

Thanks,
Old 10-03-2005, 02:50 PM

well after a few flights i like the stryker edf i did pretty fast and turns sharp without stalling above 1/3 throttle
not bad for a cheap edf model
Old 10-03-2005, 11:20 PM

LDM and Vic...glad to help guys and yes, I do also fly prop planes and have done so for a long time now. They are still a blast to fly, although I have become a big fan of EDF's in recent years. One of these days I am going to finish my wall flower, a 14 year old TopFlite .60 Corsair I have been do a little on each year...probably in another 14 years!

Mark, thanks for the cudos and sorry to hear you may be changing your product line. I have no doubt though that whatever you do, it will be first class all the way! Best of luck in your future ventures bro!!!

As far as the HET-F-20 goes...well I can't say anything yet about when it will be available, but there should be an announcement the next week or two regarding the model. I can say it goes together like a dream ARF and with a 600-700 watt Minifan power system, I expect it to perform very well. It's bigger, has more wing area and is 8" longer than the FA-18, with a weight increase of only 4 more ounces. Also, it's thicker wing chord should support retracts; finally, a minifan 480 ARF jet that supports retracts...how cool is that???!!! I'll make sure to give a report on the maiden.

Cya guys and keep em flying!

Carl
Old 10-05-2005, 09:13 AM

I am going to finish my wall flower, a 14 year old TopFlite .60 Corsair I have been do a little on each year...probably in another 14 years!
LOL, I have the same plane doing the same thing getting the same attention.

F-20[X(] Now were talking!
Old 10-05-2005, 10:35 AM

you should check out 6mmflyrc.com. they are coming out with a line of edf jets. There first jets is going to be an f-18 super hornet. 53"long w/40"ws. powered by a wemotec minifan and at about 2.5lbs. matt
Old 10-07-2005, 04:44 AM
LDM

Jay . I was actually started this post to see if the Alpha jets would be the winner baseed on what I have seen online with the video . I thought it was a cleat hot performer for the money but based on the foam weakness it did not get the attention that I orginally thought it would
Old 10-07-2005, 12:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

If by foam weakness, you mean the soft/easily dentable skin, I agree and wrote just that above. However, it is strictly cosmetic and if yer careful in construction/handling, it won't happen anyway. Otherwise, the model is perfectly rugged...the wing attachment 'problems' are solved by following the instructions: preparing the glue joint, using the correct epoxy, then a fillet of PU around the joint....all mess will be hidden beneath the wing fillets.

I think the Alfa MiG is a terriifc value at $258 shipped w/ the HiMax 2025-5300 and PH25, has terrific performance w/ the TP 3S 2100 (and needs it for CG balance).

Ray
Old 10-07-2005, 06:29 PM
LDM

Thanks Ray , if I dont build a home version of the F14 , I am getting an Alpha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.