Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
 The New Great Planes XPD 8 - Is it Hype? >

The New Great Planes XPD 8 - Is it Hype?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

The New Great Planes XPD 8 - Is it Hype?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The New Great Planes XPD 8 - Is it Hype?

Hell No! This is one EDF that lives up to its hype. When Great Planes states that it is new technology developed from the ground up, they were not kidding. I have always wanted to fly electric ducted fan ARF but have not found an aircraft worth mentioning. Many EDF's are flimsy, poorly designed or whatever, and as a beginner into the field, one crash and it is back to the repair room, if you are lucky enough to find all of the pieces. But wait, this Great Planes XPD 8 not only flies as great as the video shows but it can bounce as well. My first two flights were a little shaky and both ending up having the aircraft hit the ground pretty hard. But low and behold, no damage whatsoever. After the second crash, I reprogrammed the transmitter to the recommended low rates, realigned the both ailerons again and checked and changed the CG. When this XPD was launched for the third time it was up up and away. What a wonderful flyer, fast and true to everything that Great Planes states. You only need to lightly toss this aircraft into the wind. If you throw it too hard it will not fly out smoothly and straight. My only concern and area for improvement would be that the canopy has to be hollowed out more to accept the recommended battery. Without enlarging the inside of the canopy, you cannot secure it properly. A dremel works well here but be careful that you do not end up going through to the other side. Highly recommend this EDF to everyone that wants to experience a new flying adventure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62139.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	501008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94726.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	501009  
Old 08-03-2006, 04:19 PM

Default RE: The New Great Planes XPD 8 - Is it Hype?

Have mine almost together. Just put in the electronics and set it up. Look forward to first flight.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:12 PM

Good luck for your new "jet". I would recommend that you use 5 minute epoxy on the winglets and then run a bead of the same epoxy along the seam of the winglets and main wing. This sure helps keep both winglets attached when it does not make a perfect landing. Also, the tower hobbies website recommends a 6 inch servo extension. I ordered one but never used it? Oh well, you can always use extra supplies. This XPD flies very similar to the Stryker but looks and sounds tons better. The main difference is that you need some throttle on when landing as it does not glide very long or far. After 10 flights, it is still in brand new conditon and flying better than every.....wait, it might be me just getting better with it. Hopefully Electrifly will expand their EDF line now that they have a great performing ducted fan.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:34 PM

Thanks. I did read about the Epoxy and bead in the manual. That is what I used and did. I do not like foam safe CA. I also bought the servo extension as per Manual. You are correct. One can not have enough spare parts. I am looking forward to putting it in the air. It has been about 15 years since my last flight. Like riding a bike RIGHT ! ! ! We will find out soon. Thanks for the tip on power on for landing. I had kind of thought it would require it. I plan on doing some glide testing with altitude before I land the first time.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:06 PM

Good luck and let me know how it went.[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I love the XPD 8. I have mine set up with the e-filte park 400 4200 kv motor, great planes silver series controller, and a TP 3rd gen 1320 pack. Flies like its on rails once you get it dialed in. I have about 8-10 flights on it also and so far I have deformed the front a little and knocked a winglet off only because I am not the best hand launcher. I really reccomend the low rate settings with some expo to smooth this little rocket out. I fly my 1320's down to the cut off because i feel it glides so well.

Best regards

Matt
Old 08-09-2006, 05:39 PM

Great to hear another positive response on some rather new technology. I fully agree with Matt that you only need the low rates with expo dialed in. I have set my expo at -40 and handling it is fairly easy. This baby is built as tough as the Parkzone Stryker and I am expecting it to last as long. The higher rated battery as mentioned above would be better than the recommended battery as you do not get much flight time on 910mah. Bring on another durable EDF Great Planes.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-10-2006, 09:18 PM

Well I have finally got around to doing the final assembly. (life got in the way and it has been hot, over 100 degrees every day)

I am using the 3FR Skysport SS3 (Single Stick) FM 3 Channel Radio System with two S3108 Micro High Torque Servos, C-25 Mini High Frequency Electronic Speed Control w/BEC and Lithium Polymer 11.1V 910mAh 3-Cells In Series Battery Pack.

I have a couple of newbie questions:

I have followed the instructions and on page 10 step 10, it say's to hold the elevons in the neutral position. Where is the neutral position? Is it the center line of the fuse?

I have a Surface Deflection Indicator from Robart and checked the rate. I only have 3/16" up or down. The Z-bend pushrods are in the outer holes and the pushrods are in the lowest holes in the elevon control horns (just like in the pictures). I have followed the instruction to a 'T'. Why do I have so little rate?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:57 AM

Hello
The neutral position was where I had my first problems as well. If you look on the bottom of the fuselage and follow the line that separates the black from the gray bottom, this is the center line. Your elevon must be lined up so that the gray line on the elevon is lined up with the grey line on the fuselage. The elevons will actually appear to be going upwards but if you look at the wing from the bottom you will notice now that the wing is now lined up, flat, with the elevons. Look from the front of the wing. Use a straight ruler or edge and it should be fairly straight and even now. You might not be getting enough throw because the pushrod should be attached to the outer most hole on the wing servo. Hole furthest away from the servo. The elevon control horn should have the pushrod going through the bottom hole, closest to the wing. When you use these holes the pushrod will be in straight across position, rather than on some angle up or down. I think this is how yours is hooked up now isnt it? Is your radio programmed for the right end point adjustments? Can you move these end points further out? And where the servos centered before installing them into your aircraft? I suspect that if everything is okay as per the instructions then it is a transmitter setup problem.
Hope some of this information is helpful
Old 08-11-2006, 08:24 AM

jrt20001, thanks for the help. The neutral position is as I thought. Seems most logical. As for the rate. I have done all as you suggested. I have a radio that does not offer endpoint adjustments. How will less rate affect flying. I suspect it will just make the Jet less maneuverable. Will look to see if I can get a longer horn for more throw.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:50 PM

any fan mishaps?? my fan blew on the test bench before i even got out to fly. it went at about half throttle with a e-flite 4200kv and 3s 1320 battery
Old 08-12-2006, 06:17 PM

Hello
I do not think the little bit of less throw will affect this aircraft too much. Even on low rates at the recommend settings will have this jet flipping through the air with little stick movement. I would just make sure you have enough height when doing loops. It should fly fine as it sits. In regards to the fan are you talking about the motor blowing or the blades flying off the motor shaft? I used locktight where it said to in the manual and tightened the set screws onto the motor shaft quite tight. My fan unit has been running flawlessly since it first flight. If the motor or fan unit blew, I would think Great Planes would replace it free of charge? Please let me know what happens?
John
Old 08-13-2006, 06:56 PM

the fan blew apart. according to Great planes Hyperflow doc http://www.electrifly.com/miscproducts/gpmg3910.html this fan is good to 50K rpm. I locktited as the directions speak of. my LHS helped with the motor combo. so my 4200kv should be turning the fan at full throttle at 46620rpm, right? i made half throttle before it gave way. the impeller had about 5 cracks from the center screw. it broke into 3 pieces all with blades and part of the hub. is it best to leave the nose cone to the impeller off? thanks for the comments
Old 08-13-2006, 10:33 PM

Hello
The original XPD design is rated around 28,000. Your 46K is at the extreme top end for this design. I would email electrifly or great planes to get a more technical answer on your modifications. Sorry but I cannot offer any further assistance on your problem.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:24 AM

I can't find the video from post #1. I click the link and it takes me to the video area, but can't find the clip for the XPD-8. Help please?
Old 08-14-2006, 01:24 PM

Hello
Here is the link to the XPD video.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMKN1&P=7
Good luck
Old 08-19-2006, 04:46 PM

Cheers,
We built our XPD-8 with a Mamba Motors 4200KV motor. The fan unit ran very smoothly and pulled 15.5 amps at WOT (Duralite EVO 20 3s 800ma, GP sliver 25a ESC). I set the CG at the reccommended location and used low rates with -30% expo. The plane flew nicely once around the pattern and then appeared to suffer complete loss of control and dived straight into the ground. An experienced pilot (not me) was at the controls. Radio interference seems the most likely culprit and all the usual suspects are being rounded up. (The range check was perfect to over 100' with the antenna down). Does anyone have any suggestions for set-up (other than what has already been posted) that we might try next time? Does everyone like the stock CG position?
My new XPD-8 is on the way from Tower - fortunately the EDF unit is completely intact and we just need a new airframe. Any set-up advice much appreciated - otherwise I plan to set it up just as the instructions reccommend again and hope for a better result. Thanks!

p.s. I think this EDF unit is light-years better than the GWS units which I have used in the past!
Old 08-21-2006, 12:57 PM

Very strange indeed. I have had two clitches where the same thing happened to me. The plane was flying beautifully when suddenly on a bank the plane flew straight into the ground. First crash, no damage whatsoever. Second clitch crash, high speed straight into the ground and only the round foam air intake area was damaged. A bit of work but now she is flying again. The electronics and ducted fan took zero damage. This is sure a tough EDF. I have another airframe and micro receiver on order. I have noticed that there is a strong magnetic current coming through the fusealage where the receiver is located. Could this strong magnetic field from the EDF throw the receiver electronics for a loop once in a while? Also, I used to fly with the ESC push button just on the outside of the air frame but now put it inside the fuselage. I am only guessing as to why it is glitching once in a while. Since I have rebuilt the nose section and relocated the ESC push button I have had 4 more flights with no glitches. Maybe some one at Great Planes knows the answer to our once in a while glitching?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:25 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank God this thing is built like a brick house (w/o the weight! LOL).

I just finished mine over the weekend and had an EXPERT flyer to "test drive" her this afternoon. To say that launching her was a challenge would be the understatement of the year. After SEVERAL failed attempts and some VERY hard landings, we finally got her up and she flew like she was on rails.

I had a 1350 pack in it. My dealer didn't have the recommended pack in stock. Maybe that was too much weight? How can you reliably check RPM on these things? Thrust to see if I'm getting what I'm suppose to be getting? IS the "stator extension" necessary in a BRUSHED installation? The manual doesn't reference using it in a brushed installation (hence, mine is not installed) yet I just looked back at the PICTURES of the rear of the unit for both the brushed and brushless installation and they look the same for the completed unit! Was I suppose to install the stator??? Would that help my thrust? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

I need some advice. I LOVE the plane but if I can't launch it, it's not worth having. I REALLY want this plane to fly and fly RIGHT!

I wanted an EDF that worked as advertised and I really thought this one was it. Is there anything else comparable out there?

Thanks,
Frustrated Bob
Old 08-22-2006, 01:59 PM

The larger size battery could be a problem on launching. I too went to a slightly larger battery than recommended but had problems launching as well as sealing the canopy to the fuselage. One I installed the recommended size and rebalanced the aircraft, it launches flawlessly. (must launch it into the wind and not any other way). It can be sensitive to slight crosswinds when you first launch it. The stator is not installed in mine either. I checked the manual again and the stator installation is only in the brushless version. The brushed version does not include the stator right up to its finally assembly. Good luck and up up and away...............
Old 08-22-2006, 07:27 PM

Thanks JRT. I should have the correct battery in on Thurs. Sure hope it helps.

What's my next EDF plane gonna be? Any opinions? Looks like Hobby-Lobby has some really neat stuff. Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:22 AM

Hello Wilson
I tried the Hobby Lobby ducted fan Firebird and the EDF assembly is quite flimsy. The cowling is made out of a super thin plastic and trying to get this cone nice and round so that the exhaust exits evenly is a pain. Also, you have to use duct tape to hold the wires in place..... DUCT TAPE?. Mine was flying on its first flight but the radio did not have expo dialed in, so I went around, wildly mind you, to bring it back in for a checkup. Upon its approach for a landing and about 50 feet up, the Firebird dove straight into the ground and shattered into a million pieces. The foam is really flimsy compared to the Great Planes XPD. I really do not know why this aircraft took a nose dive. My only guess fron looking at this pile of foam parts was that one of the ailerons separated in flight. I would not recommend this EDF to beginners due to it slightly difficult assembly on the fan unit and its inability to withstand a crash. I have the Firebird outrunner motor and ESC for sale if anyone is interested? Spare parts for me right at the moment. This Great Planes Parkflyer Ducted Fan technology is so far the best out there as far as I am concerned. Bring on another EDF Jet with this new technology.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:54 PM

Good advice JRT and thanks for it. Guess I'll just wait and see where GP goes with the new XPD technology next (besides the Miglet, of course, which is just a red version of the XPD-8 it seems). Hopefully, it's at the top of their agenda to rapidly expand their offerings based on this innovation in EDF's.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:26 PM

Electrifly would do best to assemble the EDF before shipping this aircraft. I purchased another one because the original airframe was pretty beat up from the learning curve of getting this unique aircraft to fly. Once it was all assembled, ducted fan and all it was time to break in the motor...........BUT.............the motor was not spinning properly? It appeared to be off centered but I cannot be sure as it disintegrated and broke apart. I knew this engine worked prior to installing because I tested it so what the heck happened here? I was really ticked off , now I had a completely already assembled aircraft with a ducted fan glued in place and sealed inside the aircraft. OUCH. I had to disassemble my old XPD and remove its engine and cut open a brand new XPD and reinstall my old engine. Boy, was I ticked. Hopefully this one will fly now that I have worked out the bugs on the first one. An earlier post had a similar problem with the EDF breaking apart so it must not be so rare? I would highly recommend that Great Planes assemble and test these ducted fan units to avoid frustrated R/C ers like myself. Any other thoughts on this issue?
Old 08-27-2006, 05:08 PM

Hello all,
This is my first post to the forum. I thought I would just drop in to say Hi. My XPD-8 suffers from random interference. Infact it was what caused it to crash on it's maiden flight. It will fly like a dream and then suddenly it will just enter a dive momentarily, the motor will also stutter at this point before it returns back to normal flying. I have investigated this and cannot find the source of interference, I have tried various things including using the reciever in another plane = fine, checking the frequencies with an RF scanner = all clear, its always good on the range test, the next thing I will try is a new crystal set as i fear flying crashed crystals is not a good idea. It is a shame i can't fit my PCM1024 reciever in the compartment as its just too damn small!

Anyway, I fitted a 4200kv brushless and test flew this evening, I think this is what the XPD-8 was really built for, how impressive was the performance!! Its just scary when it starts to glitch at that speed. (noticably less glitches this flight but they are still present)
The stock 370BB motor only lasted 3 full flights, it didn't seem right out of the box, too stiff and too much play in the shaft.

Finally
Have I got my CG setup right? I am using the great planes CG machine and I balance it perfectly on this to the CG in the book, 156mm from leading edge? Its just the nose always wants to creep down in flight and i find i am adding a fair bit of upward trim to the elevators. How could I shift more weight to the back if the battery and ESC are already at the back? I would be grateful to hear comments/suggestions on CG for this model.

The current setup in my XPD-8 consists of, 910mah Li-po pack, 4200kv brushless motor, e-flite 25amp ESC, RCmart micro receiver, Futaba 6EXA TX.

Regards,

Neil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.