Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Put gyro in my jet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:15 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put gyro in my jet?

I have a small heading hold gyro (9 grams) from a helicopter that I am not using now. I was wondering if it could be of any use in a RC jet. The hand launches on my F18 EDF are always a bit hairy and I was wondering if I connected the gyro to the aileron channel if it would do a better job than I could at keeping the jet level during the first few seconds of flight until I build up speed? Also wondering if it would allow you to make cleaner loops, etc.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:18 AM

Default RE: Put gyro in my jet?

"...I connected the gyro to the aileron channel if it would do a better job than I could at keeping the jet level during the first few seconds of flight until I build up speed..."

Maybe not. Since hand launches, by definition, involve speeds just above stall, the effectiveness of the ailerons is questionable.

"...wondering if it would allow you to make cleaner loops, etc. ..."

yes, in as much as the wings will stay level

Old 11-30-2006, 01:15 PM

very interesting [8D]

one of my winter projects that should have been well under way was this...

http://media.putfile.com/harrier-61

but due to family commitments it has not even reached the design board [&o]

the 4 EDF's running on 4S should deliver 2.5 kilos of vertical thrust and i know i need to use Gyro stab's

i can only but Dream

Ray
Old 11-30-2006, 03:38 PM

Hey Ray!

I've busted the nose off a couple jets hand launching them and having the jet roll over and go nose into the ground due to low speed. So I saw that extra gyro and thought it may be able to better baby the ailerons until the speed picked up. I just didn't know if that could cause some funky handling problems once I am up to speed flying.

What about those EDF units with brushless motors for only $29? Four of those fans should give you 4.6 KILOS of thrust if the specs on their site are true! Sounds too good to be true but who knows. Have you tested that specific fan unit yet? Maybe you can use 4 of these LiPos to power the Harrier for cheap: https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=2133
You are not even up to $300 for 4 fan units, 4 brushless motors, and 4 2200 20-30C LiPo packs! The speed controllers and gyros I fear will make the price climb quite a bit... I'll probably try a single fan version of your giant F16 once time permits. Now that I can get fans and betteries for cheap time is the biggest constraint.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:54 AM

PilotSmith

the UK to US shipping costs have gone Crazy [&:]

they have recently changed the banding of what is considered a small packet and a parcel !

before it was calculated by wieght now its done by size [&o]

anything under 2 kilos was concidered a small packet, this was great for me cause the F16 was a Big Box with Depron in it,

now anything over 900 mm (All Dimensions added together) is considered a Parcel and the charges are rediculous [:@]

the shipping costs for an F16 is nealy the cost of the F16 its self [>:]

i have contacted many shipping companies and the prices they quote are all about the same !

each of them state the shipping costs are for 5.2 kilos because of the size of the boxes
its a crazy world !
so i fear they (Royal Mail, UPS, Fed Ex) have killed the US trade Stone Dead [&o]

Ray
Old 12-01-2006, 03:08 AM

Hey Ray!

I've busted the nose off a couple jets hand launching them and having the jet roll over and go nose into the ground due to low speed. So I saw that extra gyro and thought it may be able to better baby the ailerons until the speed picked up. I just didn't know if that could cause some funky handling problems once I am up to speed flying.

one other idea would be to use flapperons to help the low speed handling,

you wouldnt need much in the way of flaps if its a flat plate wing,

Ray
Old 12-01-2006, 10:37 AM

Too bad on the shipping. [] Have you checked into using someone like 3D-Foamy to cut and sell your kit(s) here in the USA? Let someone do the work and shipping for you and you get a % of it?

I did set up my F18 with flaperons. It was when I hand launched without using any flaps that it rolled and nosed in. But the hand launches are always hairy so was hoping using a gyro would make is less stressful on the launches. I don't want to use a bungee to launch. I like the simplicity of just grabing my radio, a couple batteries, and heading out to fly. The less gear to carry the better.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: PilotSmith

Too bad on the shipping. [] Have you checked into using someone like 3D-Foamy to cut and sell your kit(s) here in the USA? Let someone do the work and shipping for you and you get a % of it?

I did set up my F18 with flaperons. It was when I hand launched without using any flaps that it rolled and nosed in. But the hand launches are always hairy so was hoping using a gyro would make is less stressful on the launches. I don't want to use a bungee to launch. I like the simplicity of just grabing my radio, a couple batteries, and heading out to fly. The less gear to carry the better.
is/was it a depron kit?

it sounds like the classic tail heavy problem,

i know my Hawk design needs right feed in at launch but thats due to torque from the motor..

when i launch the Hawk at the airshows ( i dont actually fly at the Airshows.. i leave that to the Pro Pilots )

its like throwing a Javalin.. 0 to 60 in 3 seconds.. Ferrari Watch the Dust

who needs 520 BHP and 4 wheels

200 watts on 3S ..

Ray
Old 12-02-2006, 12:56 AM

Yes, Depron kit modified from pusher jet to EDF. And yes, was too tail heavy when that happened. I'm moving the battery forward on the next flight. Since I changed some of the dimensions from the stock plans was not sure where the CG moved to. Trial and error until I get it all right!
Old 12-02-2006, 02:35 AM

Why would you need 4 motors and edf's to power that harrier? Can't you just have 2 and then have them tilt by hooking up like a landing gear hydraulic arm to a tilting rod with a little stick sticking up and it will tilt mabey.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:34 AM

Dan

the idea is to use the 4 mini fans in the 4 puffers that can tilt from vertical to horizontal,

i dont evn know if its possible,
many have tried and all have failed [&o]

Ray
Old 12-02-2006, 07:50 AM

PilotSmith

yip i have had a few test flights like that too [&o]

one of my designs was like trying to balance an egg on a stick,
after 2 mins of keeping it in the air and trying my best to trim it so it would actually respond i gave up.. cut the throttle and started walking to collect the bits long before it even hit the ground[&o]

it came down like a sycamore seed and was pleasantly suprised that it was in one piece

moving the battery forward made a huge difference,
i often find that calculating the Cofg only gets it near where it actually flys best,

trial and error is the best way when you have mod'd a design

Ray
Old 12-13-2006, 03:26 AM

I don't know if it would be any use of a gyro hooked to the ailerons, to help a hand launch, the basic problem here with a ducted fan is air over the control surfaces at slow speed, ie hand launch, and I dont think a gyro will help at that point, but a gyro will help on elevator at high speed on a windy day, slap me if you disagree[&:]
Old 12-13-2006, 01:20 PM

So far it sounds like it is questionable if it will help due to the slow air speed but nobody seems to think it would screw anything up. Wondering if best to use rate mode or heading hold mode? Have not really given that aspect of using a gyro much thought.