Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
 Another newb looking for suggestions/ideas! >

Another newb looking for suggestions/ideas!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Another newb looking for suggestions/ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another newb looking for suggestions/ideas!

Hello, I am looking for a few suggestions for what to purchase to get the best bang for my buck. First off, a little backround on myself. I am not new to flying, I have had 3 nitro planes, two were high wing trainer style planes and the third was a mid wing 3D style plane that was a little bit too advanced for me, but so much fun. I haven't flown anything in about 5-8 years so I am rusty but would like to get back into planes going the electric route.

What I would like to do is make purchases that would allow me re-use some parts. I would first like to buy a transmitter that I can use with ALL of the planes that i am looking to buy. I want something that has 3 model memory minimum and won't really break the bank (I see this basic radios for $50, though I know they don't have model memory, but I don't need any more bells and whistles than that). I am assuming I am going to buy all the planes that are BNF (though this is new to me as it wasn't around when i was flying). I am also going to be passing the planes down to a friend who will most likely purchase the same transmitter as me, so that has to be taken into effect (or does it?). I'd like to be able to use some sort of trainer function, preferably wireless with this radio. These are the styles of planes I would like that purchase:

1.) Micro Trainer - I figure i'll get the most use out of this playing in the backyard and they seem to be pretty indestructable. I'd like to get something that might be more of an advanced trainer (do these have ailerons?), but i'd also like to be able to give it to a friend with 0 flight time so that he can learn on it as well. It would be great if this plane would use the same batteries as the next plane, but I doubt it since this is a micro. I know i can go directly to the second plane, but I can only fly a larger plane at my friends house since he has a 5 acre field behinnd his property.

2.) High wing full size trainer - Many people recommend the Apprentice 15e or the Super Cub (I think that is it), but I am not certain if they would work with the same radio as my first plane? Also, I definitely want ailerons on this plane. I learned with ailerons and now I couldn't imagine not having them! I'd like something that will most likely have the same runnning gear as my third plane so that I can re-use the batteries and maybe even esc and motor if I really needed, though not necessary. I will also be giving this plane to my friend for him to learn on as well.

3.) Park Flyer - It seems the Park Zone T28 (non micro) is the go to plane here and i'd like to purchase one of these for my third plane. Once again, i'd like to re-use my radio and hopefully the batteries from my second plane.

4.) TBD

I also have a Duratrax Intellipeak Ice charger from my old touring car days. I know it charges LiPo's, though i have NEVER ever used it as they were coming out when I stopped R/C stuff. Does anyone know if that is still a decent charger for the planes?

Any other suggestions you could give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for all of the help!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 AM

Default RE: Another newb looking for suggestions/ideas!

So, is there anything like the Hobbyzone Super Cub with Ailerons? I don't really want to have to hack the wing apart to give it ailerons, i'd prefer to just buy it to begin with.

I think i am going to go with a Spektrum DX6i DSMX transmitter and then get a BNF plane with ailerons and use that plane to teach my friend on with the trainer function. Then when I get the T-28, i'll give him that plane.

So, any suggestions?????
Old 10-14-2011, 06:21 AM

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

OK here hopefully this will help. The Apprentice 15e can be purchased as RXR, where you add your own receiver. Get a Spektrum radio, either the starter DX6i or a DX8, Choice depends on capital, the DX6i can store 10 models, both aero and heli.  All BNF planes work with the DX6i radio. If you want to get a parkzone flyer BNF, you already have the radio.

What i did was get an Eflite T-34 Mentor, it comes with the DX6i radio, then I got the Apprentice and added an AR600(?) RX to it. I also have a UM T-28 and UM Corsair along with several micro Helis on the same radio.  Since none of my planes require more than 5 channels I am all set.

The Um T-28 is a great little flyer, and binds well with the DX6i, and gives you the ability to adjust the settings, give exponential to the controls, dual rate it, mix it, do whatever you want to make this little bird do some crazy shtuf.  I learned to fly with that one, then moved on to the Apprentice, and flew that one right from the start, take off land, without any help, in my back yard too, of course my backyard is 5 acres, but I still have fences to avoid.  It is a great flying plane, I highly recommend it to anyone who asks.

The T-34 is also a good flying beginner plane, but on this one I do recommend an instructor since it is a bit more aggressive in the air than the Apprentice, but very stable and self correcting.  It is a progressive trainer in that you can remove the training wheels, what are otherwise known as wing droops, and the plane is quicker and more responsive, but can also wing stall so you definitely want to be good at flying before removing them.

Any way you look at it, you are going to spend money, so might as well get your moneys worth. You can get the RTF UM t-28, and the radio it comes with can be used for other micro BNF, may even work with the parkzone T-28, but to do so you would have to bind  every time you switch between planes.  Or you can spend the money upfront on an RXR Apprentice  and DX6i radio set, and have when you need for the future.

For the Mentor, $499 with DX6i,  The Apprentice PNP $229, DX6i $209, Together $438.  Apprentice with DX5e $299.

The DX5e doesn't store models, so you would have to rebind when you switch planes, and reset the controls. So can you use the one radio with other planes, yes, but you have to reconfigure it every time.  So there you have it.

Been there, done that, have the receipts to show it.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:03 AM

Wow, the mentor looks like an awesome plane, but is kind of expensive with that Radio. I was thinking of trying to pick up one used for about $110-$130 and then buying something BNF. I am also concerned that a complete newbie might have a tough time flying that plane and it may end up being expensive firewood. While I am no longer a newbie, i'm thinking that plane is probably around my skill level after I get back into things with a trainer. Did you have much trouble with that plane at all? I assuming it has a pretty high stall speed? If the mentor was more in the $300-$400 range with radio, i might give it a shot, but I don't want to make an expensive mistake. Id rather have 2 planes for that price in case something happens I will keep it in mind though as that plane surely looks like fun!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The difference between the Mentor and the Apprentice is fairly close in flight characteristics. The Mentor takes a bit more runway to get in the air, has a higher rate of maneuverability, and can fly faster, but otherwise is just as easy to fly.

When you add it all up, the price of the Mentor without radio and RX is $299, the Apprentice is $229, so it is about $70 more.

There are other radios out there that hold multiple models, but dont work with the BNF planes.  The choice is yours though for what radio to use.  If you want to get the mentor down the line though, it will be more expensive when you add up the motor, ESC, rx and servos.  The one nice thing about the Apprentice and Mentor is they take the same battery.

If you can afford it, get the Apprentice RTF as your first plane, then you can add the Parkzone, or see if you can find a deal on a BNF and TX.. I got my DX6i when I bought a BNF mSR for $125, and sold the DX6i that came with my Mentor for about the same.  Or find a used one, the RX for the DX6i is between $55 and $80 new depending on which one you get.  I looked at Ebay, not much out there though.

When I was looking for a 4 channel trainer, the Apprentice was the lowest cost one I could find. The fact that it used the same pack as the Mentor made it an even better value.  All the other low cost planes were 3 channel, which wasn't what I wanted, since I was used to flying 4 channel.  I gave the Nexstar a good look, but it was still an FM radio. 

There are lesser priced trainers with radios out there, but keep in mind, getting repair parts for them is difficult if not impossible at times. At least the Apprentice parts can be obtained either from the LHS or direct from HH.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Try tower hobbies scratch and dent section some great slightly used on there which were probably used for a demo flight.. check weekly as you will find great bargains 
Old 10-22-2011, 01:17 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bind and fly is an Horizon Hobby brand and there are a wide selection of planes and helis that work with this system. It is based on the Spektrum radio system, so you will want a Spektrum brand radio.

Based on your comments the DX6i is probably a good choice for a radio:

Radio only
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPMR6610

With receiver
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM6610

micro trainers:

Super slow that can be flown indoors or outside in very calm conditions

Vapor - includes lights for night flying
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=PKZU1180

Ember - Endoor or out door in light breeze - fly in yard or front of the house
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3480

#2 Plane

I would recommend aminimum of 600X600 flying space -4 soccer/football fields
Once you gain experience you can fly in half that but will feel cramped.

Super Cub BnF - 3 channel
Great first plane, very rugged - One fo the most successful self trainers on the market.
If your friend has no experience his would be an excellent trainer plane
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...380#quickSpecs

Apprentice 15E - PNP - needs receiver and battery
Great for you as you have some experience with ailerons
Use receiver that came with the DX6i that came with a receiver.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2900

#3 More Aerobatic the the first and perhaps a bit faster

T-28 is an excellent choice - BnF
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=PKZU1580

Mini Ultra Stick ARF
By this point you should be ready to put in your own electroncis
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2250

Ultra Stick 25 ARF
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL4025

F27 Stryker BnF- Go Wild
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=PKZU2280

Plane 4 - RC Soaring

Radian Pnp - needs receiver and battery
Relaxing flying for over an hour on a 1300 mah pack
This is my main kind of flying
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4775

</p>
Old 10-22-2011, 01:40 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When you are ready to advance to kits these are excellent sources and easy builds

www.mountainmodels.com

http://www.stevensaero.com/Model-Air...-p-1-c-15.html