Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Good news for Craftsman/Poulan owners!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 07:42 PM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Good news for Craftsman/Poulan owners!!

I just found a NIB cylinder for my Craftsman/Poulan 54cc engine from www.sears.com

The saw is a Model # 330. Cylinder is $39.00!!!!!!![sm=sunsmiley.gif]

I'm going to call them tomorrow after work and verify that price and availability.

My saw was my first conversion. I farmed it out to a guy to have it converted, and his carb attatchment wasn't very good. Carb kept vibrating off and eventually ruined the cylinder when a piece of the aluminum cylinder broke off- rendering the cylinder a paperweight.

I've since come up with a bulletproof way of attatching the carb. Considering that my old cylinder was useless, I didn't see the harm in experimenting with it. I spent considerable time engineering a new adaptor and several mistakes were made, but I've got a nice system now, and it stays put and doesn't leak. I'm hopefull that this engine will turn some good numbers with a new cylinder and piston rings.

You guys may want to consider scraping all other conversions if sears is really selling parts that cheap.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Good news for Craftsman/Poulan owners!!

Sounds good Rc Pilot. Let us know more, and post a photo of the new carb mount. Thanks Capt,n[8D]
Old 06-28-2004, 10:14 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is $39.00 for the jug only? Did you happen to check what the price is for a short block? COme to think of it... the 54cc crankcase is integrated into the saw body, so there is probably no short block available.

I wonder, though, if there is way to use the 54cc jug to overbore the 46cc Poulan.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:51 PM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The jug is $38.46+shipping.

Try this link www3.sears.com

Click on the icon on the bottom right side of the page. It says "Lawn & Garden" Then it will take you to a page where you are asked to enter a model number. You should enter 330- as thats the model # of the Poulan Pro 335 saw-- also the Craftsman 330 saw. Same saw- just a different paint job on the case.

That will lead you to a page where they have several other products with the 330 model #. Theres a printer, sander, power sprayer, etc... Just click on the one that says "Poulan chainsaw".

This will lead to another page where you can select the parts for your saw. It's all there. Seals, bearings, case halves ($43) , rings, piston, crank and rod, cylinder, magneto, EVERYTHING!! HeHeHeHeHe!

Volfy- I was thinking about using my case and tossing a 365 cylinder or a 370 cylinder/piston on it. You might be able to overbore the 54cc engine in this manner, but I can't locate the parts on the sears website for those 365 and 370 saws. Bummer. If you could cross-reference the case and determine that the case, crank, and rod were the same for the 330 and the 365, then you could probably just slap a new piston/cylinder on it and go like nuts!!

I called them today and asked about the price and availability. The price was correct, and the guy asked how many I needed, I guess they have plenty in stock.

Let's see:
Case $43
Cyl. $39
piston kit $40
crank bearings $4.75 each (2)
crank seals $2.49 (2)

Thats about $136 for a complete rebuild. You can scratch off $43 for the case if your is still good. So- your looking at a complete top end rebuild with bearings and seals for under $100. Thats the new piston, ring, pin bearing, and retainer clips, cylinder, and the bearings and seals for the case. Not too shabby IMO.

I'm going to get a cylinder, piston kit (which includes the rings, piston, pin bearing, and retainer clips), crank seals, and a gasket set.

Then it's going off to RCIGNs shop for a synchrospark ignition and a mount. I'll probably buy a muffler from Ken Lambert for this one. I bought a BCM for my last engine and I had to modify it drastically to make it work-- not worrth the effort when I can buy one from Ken for $50-60.

Happy shopping guys.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:11 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must not be doing it right. When I reach the parts list, it only shows 4 items (fan, heat shield, handle, carb).

Actually, $136 for a brand new 54cc "short block" is not bad at all, even if I have to trim the case. The only problem would be getting a prop adapter to fit the larger crankshaft taper. Interesting.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:24 PM
My Feedback: (107)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i get my cylinder kits and such from a place in marshall tx 50. miles down the road they stock most everything needed . plus can go to nashville ar and get the complete saw for 125. for a 54cc