Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
 Poulan wild thing-42 cc chiansaw engine-how easy to convert? >

Poulan wild thing-42 cc chiansaw engine-how easy to convert?

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Poulan wild thing-42 cc chiansaw engine-how easy to convert?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poulan wild thing-42 cc chiansaw engine-how easy to convert?

Hello fellows.
I just saw a few chainsaws on Ebay .Its a Poulan 42cc chainsaw with 16" bar.I was wondering if anyone looked in to converting that one?How easy it will be compare to homelite 45 cc?

Thanks ahead,
Mitty
Old 07-23-2004, 08:20 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Poulan wild thing-42 cc chiansaw engine-how easy to convert?

Hi,

I have one, disassembled but not converted yet. SUPER easy to convert if you want to use electronic ignition. No cutting; looks like a model airplane engine when you disassemble the saw. Power should equal or surpass the Homelite 45cc engine.

BTW, if you look around in the forum, you will find some Poulan info. The 42cc does not have the carb mounting problems/hassles that the 46cc has.

Good luck,
Please let us know how it turns out if you convert it,
AV8TOR
Old 07-27-2004, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Poulan 42cc can only be used with electronic ignition if you are converting it over to model aircraft use.The magneto is mounted to the inside of the plastic chain saw case and not on the engine.Haven't seen anyone come up with a way to mount the magneto to the engine yet and I doubt that you ever will.Most are trying to lose the extra weight of the standard ignition system in favour of the much lighter electronic ignition systems.Unfortunately.........they are an expensive add on.You better have deep pockets if your planning on buying a few of these units for your el cheapo type weed wacker engine conversions.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:30 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Figure on around $120.00 for the ignition system and prop hub. You would need a prop hub anyway, so deduct around 20 for that and the ignition ends up costing around $100.00 or so. You will end up with an easy starting lightweight and powerful motor for MUCH less money than the commercially available gassers.

That's what this forum is all about...

AV8TOR