Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Walbro Carb MYSTERY

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 07:20 AM
My Feedback: (182)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Walbro Carb MYSTERY

I'm thinking that if you can take the time to do a conversion you're probably as bad as me and will go through old carbs to make them work again. I've got a Walbro carb that is making me want to beat my head on the wall! It's been torn down, cleaned and re-assembled using good diaphrams/gaskets and getting the needle lever set right. I start with 1 1/2 turns out on both the high and low needles. This thing pours gas to the engine...it literally drips out of the carb. I've torn down and made work more than my fair share of Walbros, Tillotsons, Zamas, etc., yet I have NEVER had this much agony with a carb. Any ideas on just WTH might be causing all of the grief here? I was told by another guy to seal the 'welch plug' with fingernail polish. OK, I went into it, yet again, yesterday and sealed all three 'plugs' on the needle/seat side of the carb and I also sealed the screen side of the brass needle seat. I'm going to give it a go today...hopefull it works! I'm open for ideas should the sealing efforts fail...yea, up to and including using it for a fishing weight.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:13 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Walbro Carb MYSTERY

I hesitate to suggest it, as you seem to know what you're doing, but are you sure you are using the correct inlet tube on the carb?

Good luck, and let us know what you find,
AV8TOR
Old 08-25-2004, 09:54 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gene Chernosky
...including using it for a fishing weight.
Just make sure sure to clean off the gas-oil residue before you tie it to the line.

Seriously, take a quick search on Ebay should net you many offers of Walbro carbs on the cheap. Spending hours working on something that you can get a $15 replacement is not frugality - it's masochism.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If everything is set up right including the lever arm according to specs., which should be set level with the inner carb body, and the gaskets, diaphrams in the proper order, The only thing left to leak is the rubber tipped needle valve connected to the lever arm. They do wear out too. Also make sure there is nothing on the needle seat.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Gene Chernosky

I'm thinking that if you can take the time to do a conversion you're probably as bad as me and will go through old carbs to make them work again. I've got a Walbro carb that is making me want to beat my head on the wall! It's been torn down, cleaned and re-assembled using good diaphrams/gaskets and getting the needle lever set right. I start with 1 1/2 turns out on both the high and low needles. This thing pours gas to the engine...it literally drips out of the carb. I've torn down and made work more than my fair share of Walbros, Tillotsons, Zamas, etc., yet I have NEVER had this much agony with a carb. Any ideas on just WTH might be causing all of the grief here? I was told by another guy to seal the 'welch plug' with fingernail polish. OK, I went into it, yet again, yesterday and sealed all three 'plugs' on the needle/seat side of the carb and I also sealed the screen side of the brass needle seat. I'm going to give it a go today...hopefull it works! I'm open for ideas should the sealing efforts fail...yea, up to and including using it for a fishing weight.
ive read all the posts here and agree with whoever it is that suggested a worn needle and seat. a walbro carb should not drip fuel. also check that the fuel tank its drawing from has a functioning breather. if its blocked then its possible for the fuel to pressurise the tank and force fuel past the pump valves and cause it to leak.

hope this helps
Old 11-06-2006, 10:16 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Dirty /worn needle seat
Old 11-06-2006, 10:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know how it would pressurize the tank. Collapse it maybe, but the motor would quit first.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

Don't know how it would pressurize the tank. Collapse it maybe, but the motor would quit first.
have you ever shaken a plastic bottle of coke and felt the bottle harden up??...same thing can happen to a fuel tank. what about if you leave a fuel can in the sun for a while??...it expands. this sorta thing happens often here in oz.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up several engines this summer. Most are very easy to get going. One thing I did NOTICE is one engine had a carb that when i was going to pull the fuel line off and repalce it....the little brass inlet pressed in carb was loose. I cut old line off and tapped the fitting back down in place. Be sure to support the carb correctly when you do this. I never would have noticed the brass nipple being loose...but the line was kinda stuck on it. Like RCIGN says "do not asume anything" He is right!!! Capt,n