Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
 HBK2 & Dx6i Settings, I'm Close >

HBK2 & Dx6i Settings, I'm Close

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

HBK2 & Dx6i Settings, I'm Close

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HBK2 & Dx6i Settings, I'm Close

Hello everyone, I have my HBK2 setup with my Dx6i, not really very good but set up, Is there anyone out there with a HBK2 3900 motor using the dx6i TX that can give me there settings.
I have gotten settings for all setups in many forums that has me close but haven't seen one yet that is HBK2 specific yet

Thanks
Old 10-11-2008, 01:42 PM

Default RE: HBK2 & Dx6i Settings, I'm Close

Slotdr:
I have a file that has pictures and DX6I settings for teh Belt CP, they are the same setting for either heli, and it also explains the use of the DR/RXPO setup. If you youle like a copy PM me with your email and i will send it to you.

R[8D]N Sr
Old 10-11-2008, 03:39 PM

Disney1 I used your settings to get me going and they were a great help as for others on different forums, I wouldn't be able to get off the ground if not for you ans Z, just trying to get it as close to the stock as possible so I can fine tune from there, I can't find anywhere the stock throttle & pitch curve information, even sent a email to China, no luck
Old 10-11-2008, 03:49 PM

Slotdr:
Glad to have been of help. You might try a post on the HBK II Tuner Thread. Someone ther may be able to give you the stock curves.
Here is a link to that thread,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60...%2CKing/tm.htm

R[8D]N Sr
Old 10-12-2008, 03:53 PM

Here's how mine is set up
Hbk2 3900 10T W/ ESKY 25A ESC & 2200mah battery

-TN- / -TS
L 00.0% / 83.5%
2 23.5% / 67.0%
3 44.0% / 53.5%
4 66.5% / 70.5%
H 100.0% / 100.0%

-PN- / -PS
L 36.5% / 00.0%
2 45.0% / 25.0%
3 44.0% / 50.0%
4 75.0% / 79.0%
H 94.5% / 100.0%

TN = Throttle Normal & TS = Throttle Sport (idle-up)
Same Logic for PN & PS (pitch)
Do not fly 3d here, but do fly 95% of the flight in idle up mode.
Usually take off in normal mode & while in near hover or level FF transition to idle up.
Other way around for landing.
50% pitch = zero deg pitch while +/- 100% = +/- 10 deg pitch
in normal mode, the throttle setting shown above allow for smooth spool-up.
Hover is somewhere just over 65% of stick
Old 10-12-2008, 06:07 PM

Thanks jh1947
No 3D for me either, what is your swash mix settings
Old 10-12-2008, 06:50 PM

They are all +60
The Sign (+/-) you need is dependant on how you've got your servo reversing configured, and how your servo actually moves W/ respect to that sign.
So if your servos are moving in the right direction (and I expect they are) pay no attention to the sign I show here, just note the magnitude shown.
You'll get it dialed in. It just takes some thinking about what each parameter does, & how you want your heli to behave vs what its doing now.
IMO, initially stay away from expo. True, it can be a way to deaden the response at center stick, but move outside that zone, & you can suddenly find yourself way over correcting. So first focus on developing a set of parameters that yield a smooth linear feel/response that you're comfortable W/. Then, if you really need it, move on to something more exotic... I still (after getting the 6i in March) have no expo loaded, and have no plans to do so. (but maybe that's just me).
Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 PM

jh1947:
I did quite a lot of testing on the DR/EXPo settings to find out exactly what it dose. I have also created a document on setting up the Belt CP or HBK 2 with the DX6i. Below is the section that deals with DR and EXPO. You will find that it softens the center of the stick, but like a bell curve slide to full servo responce when Not used with D/R. When used with D/R it is a flatter bell curve giving you a gentler responce across the full stick movement. The nice part of D/R and EXPO is that as a person gains confidence and experience thay can slowly remove the percentages, kind of like training wheels.
R[8D]N Sr

Quote:
6. D/R and EXPO. Here is how it works. The use of these settings are controlled by the switches on your TX labeled, ELEV D/R, AIL D/R and RUDD D/R each switch position is either 1 or 0 each switch position controls the settings for that servo only. There are two number sets on the D/R EXPO screen, The first one is default set to 100%, and is the percentage of full servo throw that is used. The lower the setting the less the throw of the servo. The second number is default set to INH, this is how sensitive the center of the sticks are. The higher the number the LESS sensitive the center of the sticks are. The D/R and EXPO control ONLY the Aileron, Elevator and Rudder inputs. The two settings work in combination with each other, so If you set the first number to 80, and the second number to 15, you will only use 80% of the servo throw at full stick movement and the center area of the stick will be 15% less sensitive. You have two setting groups available with each TX switch position (1 and 0) for each control, AIL, ELEV and RUDD.

7. To set the D/R, EXPO enter the D/R EXPO setup screen and with all 3 switches set to 1 adjust the settings to your desired level. I started with 85% and 20% , then flip all three switches to 0. Set the settings to a more sensitive setting say 90% and 10% ( these settings are only guidelines). You will need to experiment to learn what works best for you.

8. Setting the D/R COMBI. The D/R COMBI allows you to combine the control of the three settings in the D/R EXPO to one switch. Thus allowing you to flip between the settings while in flight with the flick of a single switch. I used the ELEV D/R switch for the COMBI , because it was easy to flip with out taking my fingers off the sticks. You should set what works for you.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:23 PM

Ron
Nice explanation/write up.
For others who may find this thread, it will surely remove some of the mystery behind how these parameters affect the behavior of the base settings.
However, think we'll both agree that its another layer of complexity.
My position, as stated in the previous post, remains the same. I've found that the DX6i, using just the base settings, can yield a very flyable King.
Also it should be noted, my mantra (for me, not you) is KISS. The more I can follow that path, the better off I seem to be.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:31 PM

jh1947:
Thank you for the compliment.
I agree with K.I.S.S. completly.
I only wanted to put the quote in to help everyone understand D/R and EXPO as the manuel is rather vague about what the settings really do.[X(]
And as you saw I did say that the settings wee only a guide line. and to do what is best for the pilot.

R[8D]N Sr

Old 10-12-2008, 09:23 PM

For all of you that might want a Free copy of the Belt CP- HBK 2/DX6i set up file I created.
It now has a down loadable address.
Thanks to [link=http://www.ushobbysupply.com/]US Hobby Supply[/link] for hosting the file.
The cureent version has additional info on RX installiation, HH Gyro set up, also how to set up for retracts.
Here is the link for down load.

http://www.ushobbysupply.com/pub/Bel...DX6i-setup.doc

R[8D]N Sr
Old 10-13-2008, 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: jh1947

-TN- / -TS
L 00.0% / 83.5%
2 23.5% / 67.0%
3 44.0% / 53.5%
4 66.5% / 70.5%
H 100.0% / 100.0%

-PN- / -PS
L 36.5% / 00.0%
2 45.0% / 25.0%
3 44.0% / 50.0%
4 75.0% / 79.0%
H 94.5% / 100.0%

Usually take off in normal mode & while in near hover or level FF transition to idle up.

I know that there are many ways to set the king2 up with a nicer radio but you should watch the DX7 video from Jermo on helifreak(Located in the Finless video section) if you have not done so. Seems that with those settings, going from N to S mode, you would have erratic behavior? Anyway, just wanted to pass the video along in case you have not seen it. The DX7 and Dx6i can be set-up the same as far as the 5-point curves go...Taming the Heli down to how you fly with tweaks after the basics are learned really helped me. Especially the part about the S Mode needing to be a linear curve for precise 3D flight above and below ZERO degrees. Later on of course....

Z
Old 10-13-2008, 08:47 PM

Thanks Z
Can you send me the link to this video, can not find it on there site
Old 10-16-2008, 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Zim-uh-tosa

ORIGINAL: jh1947

-TN- / -TS
L 00.0% / 83.5%
2 23.5% / 67.0%
3 44.0% / 53.5%
4 66.5% / 70.5%
H 100.0% / 100.0%

-PN- / -PS
L 36.5% / 00.0%
2 45.0% / 25.0%
3 44.0% / 50.0%
4 75.0% / 79.0%
H 94.5% / 100.0%

I know that there are many ways to set the king2 up with a nicer radio but you should watch the DX7 video from Jermo on helifreak(Located in the Finless video section) if you have not done so. Seems that with those settings, going from N to S mode, you would have erratic behavior? Anyway, just wanted to pass the video along in case you have not seen it. The DX7 and Dx6i can be set-up the same as far as the 5-point curves go...Taming the Heli down to how you fly with tweaks after the basics are learned really helped me. Especially the part about the S Mode needing to be a linear curve for precise 3D flight above and below ZERO degrees. Later on of course....

Z
Yes, Definitely have watched his videos. And definitely a "must see". The departure from the original "linear" curves was deliberate. (which is why radios W/ 5 points curves are considered superior)
For my flying style (Beyond hovering, but not 3D), I wanted near constant head speed, smooth mid air transition when switching between modes ("Normal"/"Idle Up" ), and smooth spool up in "normal" mode.
Am guessing what got your attention was the Idle-up Low throttle settings. If/when I move into flying sustained inverted flight, I'll probably extend the low side settings to include 100%, But right now, my thinking is, if a fit of DumbThumbs hits, and in my panic, I slam the throttle down, at least the motor wont go to full power. W/ everything upright I rarely take the throttle below 45%, and as stated earlier, these point settings yield a constant head speed. The point 4 pitch setting is only 4% off the so called Ideal value. It got tweaked as part of blending the two modes.. To my thumbs (& mind) these numbers yielded a craft that feels linear in response.
My elevation here is ~800ft, I have flown this craft at sea level, and at 1750ft. It felt a little sluggish at 1750 but could have been due to battery aging.
While I found these numbers to give good results over a fairly wide range of altitude, I'm not suggesting that they are, in any way, universal.
Your craft weight, motor/pinion, ESC, actual setup, and of course personal preferences are going to determine what works best for you.
I offered these up, mostly because, they have worked well for me as an intermediate flyer, and my craft, and radio, seemed to match slotdr's
Thanks for providing me the opertunity to explain why what they are.

Jim
Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: slotdr

Thanks Z
Can you send me the link to this video, can not find it on there site
yah,

Sorry about that slot. Here is the link that will get you to the [link=http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692]Heli 101 Setups[/link]. This will include and probably answer every problem you might have in video format. Here is the link directly to the [link=http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=28681]DX7 Video[/link].

Enjoy!

Z