Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Thunder tiger 61

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 11:33 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thunder tiger 61

This is a super conversion Bob davis sent me down a new TT 61 his latest conversion, the diesel head was fitted (no glow head)
brand new 0 time never run, the compression is out of sight. I got home tonight from work, put the engine on the test stand fueled
with davis abc fuel as i grabbed the prop and SLOWLY choked and turned about 3 times I could feel a kick.I hit it ONCE with the chicken
stick and instant start 14x6 wood zinger ( will go to a 15" tomorrow) a real hummer great idle, instant throttle response compression
screw way out ( it may need at least one more head shim). It was too dark to tach, this is the MOST impressive conversion I have
ever seen and I thought my MVVS 61 conversion was good this is a no contest, the carb*** is huge about 18mm bore I only ran 1/3
throttle. I did check last night and my irvine jetstream carb for my irvine 36 is a perfect fit and about half the bore will try it. this thing
knocked my socks off , responsive, quiet, Also exhaust very clean oil out very light amber, If any of you are considering a 60 size
engine I think this has MVVS beat by miles and less bucks you can pick them up for $100
Bottom line incredible piston seal out of the box, smooth response low idle less than 5 minutes and NEVER run as glow
Max if ever there was an engine to be as a factory issue this is the one BUT would it be as good as a davis head unit??
and we all know tiger will not take the leap martin
*** then again it ran fine on this carb just restrict the throw on the barrel , I think full throttle will be about 50% will check tomorrow

Sunday 10AM got a few more minutes of run time before doing the family Sunday visit thing.
top flite 13x6 9400 70% approx thottte the big bore tt carb idle about 2400 it will get better only, 15 minutes TOTAL time on this
engine is only 15-20 minutes and it never saw glow fuel so a total break in will take more runs also will try the irvine carb
Just did the irvine carb thing, at this point not much total difference just full speed open more on the carb barrel, maybe 80% the fact it ran that well o the big carb was a surprise

UPDATE Sunday 2PM now turning 9600-9700 after another 15 minutes same prop decided to run MVVS against it same numbers
so looks like same preformance for less bucks than the MVVS
Old 05-16-2004, 02:51 PM

Default RE: Thunder tiger 61

Martin,

Don't forget the MVVS is an ABC engine, while this TT is an ABN.
The MVVS piston+sleeve and its Swiss bearings are likely to last considerably longer than those of the TT.

The MVVS also comes originally equipped with a 7mm carburettor, which doesn't require that you buy another one, that will allow you to use full throttle.

With the MVVS you also get two heads.

The DDD conversion parts are quite expensive. You can buy some OS clones for the same price.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:39 PM
AMB

Default RE: Thunder tiger 61

Dar I had a problem with the 40 it swallowed its cir clip Paul sending new piston and liner under warranty not common happens
with KandB Supretigers and am sure others too martn and Hi to you and family martin
Also turns out carb a non issue on the TT61 top end about 70% throw on the factory issue