Community
Search
Notices
Flybarless Helicopters Discuss flybarless rotor head systems for all helicopters right here.

Micro Beast

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro Beast

Hey Guys,

Well here I go again. I have a Raptor 90 that I've changed over to Flybar Less and I havent been able to get it off the ground sense I installed the Micro Beast x.
I think I have it programed correctly. I have training gear on it to check it out and it seems to want to put left cyclic in when it is spooling up and would tip over if
I didn't have the training gear on. The Beast X is mounted on the top of the servo tray in in the front.
Have you heard of any problems of this sort. If you have any input I would like to here them.

Thanks, [&o] heliperry
Old 08-26-2012, 05:32 PM

Default RE: Micro Beast

You can not have any trim or sub trim in the radio. The head has to be absolutly square and perfectly level with no mixes or ccpn mixes. Np pich curve during setup, just a simple 0-100. The after setup set it as you want. All trims and subs that is done with in the Beastx The training gear plus the nitro may be including vibration to the unit. Revisit your programing and your over all set up. Be sure to NOT touch your cyclic while you are on the ground. Lift it right off and don't mess around. Get rid of the traing wheels.

Jim
Old 08-26-2012, 11:37 PM
My Feedback: (4)

What type of mounting tape did you use? The pads that come with it or something else?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:14 PM

As for what tape I used under the Micro beast, I used the soft tape included with the gyro. Then while testing the gyro I removed it and put a thinner piece with a little foam
under it and was thinking about running straight double sided tape w/no foam. I've heard that they aren't running any vibration tape under them. Is this correct?
My gyro is mounted to the top side of the surve tray of the Raptor in the front. Do you think I should move it to the rear of the
tailboom mount.
Not sure if I'm getting vibration up front some how. I have balanced every thing on the heli. and it spools up nice.
I'm not sure about getting rid of the training gear yet...lol I've had it tip over and beat itself to death and I'm not wanting a repeat...lol I'm a little worried if I pop it off the ground
it may go nuts..[X(]
I'll look at my set up again just to be sure. If you think of anything else let me know.

heliperry
Old 08-27-2012, 04:47 PM

I use the stock tape but remove the center plug. I also have used the 3m but use about three layers. So far I have not had any trouble. Trust me.... Pop the heli off the ground and not mess around or they all will roll over to a point. If you ease it up the ground effect meeses with it. Remember to never touch the cyclic till it is off the ground. I recommend that you set a throttle hold and let it be you best friend. I ride mine or have a finger by it ready to shut it down.

Jim
Old 08-28-2012, 01:42 AM
My Feedback: (4)

One piece of 3M double sided is all you need. If you look on RunRyder or Helifreaks you see they all say the same thing. It seems the pads that come with it are to soft and allow the fbl controller to move a bit. Even Ron's helipros south tells you not to use the provided tape. [link=http://www.ronlund.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RHPS&Product_C ode=BTXA76003&Category_Code=RADGY]http://www.ronlund.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RHPS&Product_C ode=BTXA76003&Category_Code=RADGY[/link]

There should be no problem mounting the Beast on the front gryo plate.

Also put a piece of tape across the plugs, keeps them from coming out.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Looks like I'm going to loose the training gear.. and just pop it up. ..[X(] with my finger on the throttle hold switch..lol.
I'm going to go thru the program and make sure it is all correct this week and give it another try. Googles pic of his setup looks
just like mine on the front. So i'm going to try it there until I find out other wise.
You guys have been a lot of help and I am thankful for your input.
I'll let you know what happens next. Hope its all good!

heliperry
Old 08-29-2012, 10:38 AM

Well took the training gear off and spooled the heli up and nothing changed the head made a cyclic move to the left very quickly and I was able to hit the
throttle hold switch and saved it. Man I'm not sure what is going on with this heli! I havea a friend that has a micro beast in his scale heli and it doesn't act this way.
He helped me go threw the program at the enitial set up and he is'nt even sure what is going on. I'm realy getting frustrated now.
I can't spool up the heli quick enough with out it wanting to rotate over to the left.
Any more Ideas would be helpful. I'll go back to the drawing board and go threw the prog. one more time.

heliperry [:@]
Old 08-31-2012, 03:56 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Trex 600N with MicroBeast and is rock solid with 3 headspeeds. I can assure you that MB is tolerant of some vibrations, cause mine has some.
My opinion, having read quite a bit about it, is MB is okay with some frequencies of vibs and not others. So first, I would look to eliminate as much as possible.
I've seen a few discussions that certain heli models, such as the Trex 500 put out a certain freq vibration that MB doesn't like at all, and exhibit the same
problem you are having. The fix seems to be a specific tape by 3M, (look it up on helifreak), and mounting the controller in a different location. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:27 PM

804, sounds like a good place to start in moving the MB to a differtent location. Not sure what else to do but start trying different things, like moving the Micro Beast to the rear of the heli on the tail boom mount and using the 3m tape to lock it down. I'll look it up on helifreak and see what they have to say on what tape.
Thanks for the input. I'm still trying to get it airborn. I'll keep every one posted on how it goes.
Thanks
heliperry
Old 09-01-2012, 04:28 PM

Thought of something else.
Have you tried running up without blades?
If not, try it with the current setup and see if the head tilts.
Then move the MB with different tape and try again.
Might give you a way to troubleshoot, and if successful after moving,
a bit of a confidence booster.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:38 PM

804, Is that safe to do a bladless rotor head run up? Not sure if it would over rev the engine.
I've never run a heli motor with out blades..lol
heliperry[X(]
Old 09-01-2012, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you absolutly sure you dont have any trim in somewhere, even sub-trim ?

An easy way to check is by flipping the reverse switches between normal and reverse, if the servos move then you have some trim in somewhere.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: heliperry

804, Is that safe to do a bladless rotor head run up? Not sure if it would over rev the engine.
I've never run a heli motor with out blades..lol
heliperry[X(]
Yes, just be easy on the throttle.
You'll be astonished how fast she'll rev.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:41 AM

I'm ready to try anything at this point. I'll check the servo trims and try the head w/o blades..lol
I'm glad I have other heli's to fly. I have been wanting to get this heli in the air for a long time..lol
Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 AM

If your radio allows it, and you haven't already done so,
I would disable the trims (after setting them to neutral of course).
On my dx8 , you go to" trim steps" in the systems menu and set trim steps to zero for aileron, elevator, and rudder.
This way, if you accidentally bump the trim levers, nothing happens.

Also, here is a thread with some good advice on what to expect when first flying FBL.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=444966
Old 09-14-2012, 03:54 PM

Hey heliperry,
did ya get it sorted?
got a buddy with a Raptor 50 thinking about converting to FBL.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:20 PM

Hey, 804

I havent' had time to try to get it back in the air yet. I did move the micro beast to the rear tail boom mount and went thru the prog. one more time.
Now I'm just waiting to get a nice day and try it once again. When I do I'll keep you posted.

heliperry