Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

zagi turned to rocket : new pic

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zagi turned to rocket : new pic

Alright I became bored with the zagi about 6 months ago. I got into flying jets and loved the speed. Then I got to thinking that it would be nice to have that zagi back for those windy days when flying jets just wasn't possible. I have alot of experience with the brushless zagi but that still wasn't fast enough and I wanted to be able to go straight up like a rocket. So I traded in my mega 16/15/3 and speed control and started from scratch.
I know from what I've read that the zagi can still be hand launched with a weight up to 50 oz, so as long as the thrust was good then all would be ok. I also know that a thinner airfoil will reduce drag and increase speed, but the dreaded zagi flap was still an issue. the answer was !QUOT!carbon fiber matrix!QUOT!, this is what I did
-hand carved airfoil templates for for use with a homemade hot wire cutter(bow). I tried to copy the zagi airfoil freehand at the same time thinning off about 3/4in. at the inner cord and about 1/4 in. at the wing tip.
-then after cutting all the areas for electronics I installed a 24 in carbon fiber spar at the cg. from there I connected an additional carbon spar from each wing tip to the center spar and epoxied them together also using a small piece of wire at the connecting point for extra strength(inside spar tubes).
-after adding electronics and all taping(fiber and colored) I then designed another of my own personal coroplast canopy designs, which is almost indestructible.
- the motor and battery choice is as follows: mega 22/20/2 and castle creations 60amp esc tanic lithium polymer 4s2p(2600cells)

this wing is amazingly strong, I don't think zagi flap is possible. no fish tales here, this baby goes straight up, yes 90 degrees from the horizon like a rocket, and doesn't stop until I take off the throttle. with a full throttle hand launch she climbs to about 600-800 feet in about 15 seconds flat. I'm in love all over again. she's almost as fast as my jets but a hand launcher I will post a pic soon . this is the best zagi I've built and I've built many. she weighs in at 45 ounces with battery and motor, but the weight seems to only help with the speed and wind..
Old 03-31-2004, 01:12 AM

Default RE: zagi turned to rocket

Your crazy man! You may have the speed, but you lose all the zagi's main abilites. And the its best ability is its glide. I'd say 50-85 mph is fast enough. I run a Zagi XS with its stock setup, and it kicks ass. The new XS is unflappable even at jet speeds. And I mean unflappable. Its as stiff as a rock. Also instead of doing all that carving, you could of went and bought your self a XS core from Zagi. All the spar slots are pre carved.
If you ever plan on making another zagi, try this method. Its sure to save you much time and all that effort to recreate Zagi's almost symetrical airfoil on the XS.

-Steven
Old 03-31-2004, 06:39 AM

my zagi wing cores cost me $2.00 dollars to make myself. my zagi glides awesome. unlike your stock zagi once she comes within 20 feet to the ground I put her at full thottle and back up she goes. instead of waiting for that thermal I chase it. my zagi has stayed up for 45mins which to me is long enough(neck pain)building and design is just as fun as flying.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60458.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	117203  
Old 04-09-2004, 08:54 PM

45 minute run times? What are you running?... Must be a lipo setup. My XS glides extremely well actually. All that BS about the XS having a higher stalling speed is wrong. I could have my XS flying at crawling speed(litterally). And with a aveox or astro flight 020 brushless motors. I could get my plane to do 80 mph in level flight(fast enough for me )

-Steve
Old 04-09-2004, 09:11 PM

ya it's a 4s2p irate lithium pack, I just love how I can go straight up in less then 15-20 sec, then throttle off and catch a thermal or two. and If I'm feelling spiffy then I'll do some high speed flybys. My flying buddy thinks I'm crazy too. my favorite thing to do is drop full throttle from about 300 feet straight for our heads then pull up about 10-15 feet from us and spiral roll all the way back up to 400-500 feet or so. You really can't gage how fast your flying until you fly right over your head. yes I know its dangerous but oh well
Old 04-09-2004, 11:53 PM

Aren't you worried about the lipoly. I totally changed my mind about lipoly's. They aren't safe, and if it were to self distruct... all i could say is OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a little crazy.. spiral back to 400 feet in the air... ughh 45 minute flight times.. ugh.. ouch neck cramp! I was told that lipoly on the Zagi XS wouldn't be safe at all. I am a very good pilot with my Zagi. But is it worth the destruction of a $130 kit.. Including the battery which cost probally 50-60 bucks, and the motor.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:28 AM

lipoly isn't really that sensitive. I've done a few mild crashes with the packs and have had no problems. lipoly is like brushless once you've tried it its really hard to go back. my 4s2p pack is only 14oz. and can handle 45 amp draw. to be able to get a nimh that can handle the same draw you talking at least 12 sud-c cells weighing in at least 24-26oz. no AA size cell can hamdle those type of amp draws.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:28 PM

eh... thats a heavy lipoly... I'd use a smaller lipoly for my setup. I think if I were to have a astro 020 id run a lipoly 2 cell 1500 mah. I dont know much about lipoly's but i think that battery weighs in at about 5 ounches.

-Steve
Old 04-11-2004, 09:43 AM

ya the 020 can only handle 20 amps max, if you where to buy a tanic 4s pack it would weigh in at around 6oz., you would get around 15 min flight time and a thrust to weight ratio of 1;1 which will make her fast and still keep her light like you like. the battery new costs 95.00 and a 5x3 apc prop will draw only 18-19 amp full throttle. you would still have to build your own canopy to house the pack(coroplast is good) but she would fly about as fast as mine. the reason I like the heavier weight in my zagi is so that I can fly in any windy condition and still have good control. here's motorcalc for you it's not always very accurate but it gives you a good idea. like where it says hand launching will be difficult, well I've had no problems.

MotOpinion - Untitled
75ft above Sea Level, 28.00inHg, 65°F

Motor: Astro Brushless 020 5T#20 #803M; 2567rpm/V; 1A no-load; 0.07 Ohms.
Battery: Tanic 2200; 4 cells; 2200mAh @ 3.7V; 0.0227 Ohms/cell.
Speed Control: Castle Creations Phoenix 35; 0.0045 Ohms; High rate.
Drive System: 5x3 (Pconst=1.11; Tconst=1) direct drive.
Airframe: Zagi 400; 480sq.in; 22.4oz; 6.7oz/sq.ft; Cd=0.042; Cl=0.3; Clopt=0.52; Clmax=1.03.
Stats: 169 W/lb in; 142 W/lb out; 14mph stall; 19mph opt @ 37% (97:52, 76°F); 25mph level @ 45% (64:06, 79°F); 1379ft/min @ 55.4°; -185ft/min @ -6.3°.

Power System Notes:

The full-throttle motor current at the best lift-to-drag ratio airspeed (18.2A) falls between the motor's maximum efficiency current (12.6A) and its current at theoretical maximum output (80.3A), thus making effective use of the motor.
The voltage (13.1V) exceeds 12V. Be sure the speed control is rated for at least the number of cells specified above.

Possible Aerodynamic Problems:

The static pitch speed (85mph) is much greater than 3 times the stall speed (14mph), which might make take-off or hand launching very difficult, and is inefficient in flight unless very high speeds are intended.
Pitch speed can be decreased by using a lower pitched and/or larger diameter propeller, a higher gear ratio, a lower cell count, or some combination of these methods.

Aerodynamic Notes:

Due to some of the potential problems listed above, this model may require an experienced pilot.
The static thrust (22.2oz) to weight (22.4oz) ratio is 0.99:1, which will result in very short take-off runs, no difficulty taking off from grass surfaces (assuming sufficiently large wheels), and steep climb-outs.
At the best lift-to-drag ratio airspeed, the excess-thrust (17.7oz) to weight (22.4oz) ratio is 0.79:1, which will give very steep climbs and incredible acceleration. This model can easily do consecutive loops, and has sufficient in-flight thrust for any aerobatic maneuver.

General Notes:
Old 04-11-2004, 11:34 AM

ugh.. lol to much information!!! By making your zagi heavier, doesn't it stall much easier as well?
Old 04-11-2004, 12:43 PM

I love to stall, that's called 3d flying for me. A stall is easy to pull out of if you have excess power. never have problems stalling on landing
Old 04-11-2004, 04:11 PM

I see.. Yes stalls are fun. I wasn't talking about how your plane stalls in the air. I was just wondering how you landed. Im going to go fly my stock XS today. Its been about a month now since I've had a chance to go out and fly. I'll tell you how it went when I get back from my flight.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:44 PM

have fun. I'd be out there too if it wasn't raining, maybe tomorrow. I want to get some footage some day so I can post it online maybe soon
Old 04-11-2004, 06:59 PM

Footage!!! Get it as soon as possible!! I need to see this zagi of yours!!! I won't be leaving for another 30 minutes. Its nice and windy and sunny as ever in la county today . I will get some footage of mine with two other pilots who fly zagi's with me. They both have the viper engines(astro 020's) and I run the dinky 400 pusher(old used car). lol..