Community
Search
Notices
Foamies! - RC Electric Foam Aircraft Discuss rc foamie electrics here (i.e. Zagi, Tazz, ProJeti, wingo)

Motor choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor choice

Ok I am tired of my chinese motors going out in the middle of the flight and making me crash[:@]. I am just going to spend the money on a good motor, but the choice is what one. I am looking to overpower a 3d foamy that wieghs about 15 oz and with a motor that doesn't have to work hard to do it. So I have narrowed it down to either e-flite 400 through 480. I was thinking about a 450 or so to hover at about 1/3 throttle or still fly 3d with a 20 oz plane. Any other motor manufacturer recommendations will also work. I think that I have given enough information this time and if you guys could help me that would be great.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 04-16-2007, 09:33 AM

Default RE: Motor choice

Check out Scorpion:

[link=http://www.ampaviators.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemi d=34]Scorpion Review[/link]

At least you can get full prop charts for each motor to fine-tune what you need.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:27 PM

I know you said you were considering two specific motors. I godda play devils advocate here.
could you consider this?

Brushless with speed controller combo $20
Maybe a retrofit for you but the price is right, high efficency brushless.
Browse around United hobbies. awsome prices. the hextronik and tp products are knockout cheap and they have user reviews.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:24 AM

not a fan of eflight motors...for the price you might as well throw in 10to 20 more dollars an go with Axi or micro dan, just my 2 cents
Old 04-29-2007, 05:21 PM

Not trying to be a pain in the butt. Do you have a Watt meter?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:13 PM

No I don't have a watt meter, but I have a perfectly good reasoning. The battery I have is a 1300Mah rated at 20c discharge rate so it can take about 20-25 amps max, and the motor is rated at a max of 30 amps. So if the motor is being overamped the battery would have exploded by now, but on the upside I fixed my motor it turns out that a connector came loose underneath the heatshrink an I couldn't see it until I really looked closely at the motor. So I sautered it back on and it is in good shape.

Thanks a lot,
Kevin