Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

MacroMedia Player...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 07:32 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MacroMedia Player...

What is this crap? Every time I come here, I get a pop-up every ten minutes or so asking me to load it. I don't need it nor want it, and it is becoming rather annoying.

And it only happens on RCU.

Why is that?????
Old 08-24-2004, 09:09 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MacroMedia Player...

Chances are, it's a timed pop-up. or, there's an 'adbot' that will 'pop up' this ad everytime you log onto RCU.

it's not RCU, it's probably your computer.
also, don't click on 'YES' or 'NO' as it';ll jsut confirm it either way. Click on the little 'X' at teh top right corner of the "request to install software"

Internet marketing strategies are sneeky, and rely on people ignorance, those who don't really know.. These 'adbots' get installed and track your 'internet surfing' habits. It then reports these finding to teh marketing co. who will then cater an annoying ad campaign tailored just for you.. Which you get. and get. and get. and get..

the 'gator corp.' , 'gain corp', and 'Quick time' are notoriously bad at this...

Get an 'adbot / spybot remover' such as 'Ad Aware' or 'Spysweeper' (freeware versions)
install it, and run it. You'll be surprised at what you'lll find!
Run it monthly, or weekly, depending on how you feel / surf..

Also, get teh 'google tool bar' as it'll block most pop-ups.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:14 AM

I shoudl have ercognized teh name 'Macro media' and not confused it with Quicktime'!! OOps

'Macromedia Flash' is an internet plug in to show some fancy animation. It's a bit of a trend, but I also find it somewhat annoying.

Installing Marcomedia 'Flash' is not a bad thing, as some websites require it.
I don't know if RCU uses any 'FLASH' code.. but that's probably what it want's to do, allow you to see teh fancy 'flash' code on teh web-page
Old 08-24-2004, 09:44 AM
Banned

Some of our ads are Macromedia Flash based. The same ones microsoft, GM, Ford, Yahoo, Lycos, Mapquest, CNN, ESPN all use when they show flash media. My suggestion is to download the free plug in so these render properly and you will stop that message when the flash content comes up.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:51 AM

Well, it happens on both my home 'puter and here at work. And I can get severely disciplined for downloading anything here at work, thanks to idiot secretaries who have downloaded all sorts of viruses, etc while looking for music, chats, etc. And I don't want anything like that on my personal home computer.

<<Some of our ads are Macromedia Flash based.>>

Okay. So you're still telling me its MY computer???

BTW, I have Ad-Aware & Spy-Bot on both 'puters.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:37 PM

At least we no where it is coming from now. I guess we will have to live with it[&o]
Old 08-24-2004, 02:35 PM

Yep, your machine..

Speak to your IT department to have teh plug-in installed...

There are worse things that can happen, than jsut a few pop-ups!
Old 08-24-2004, 02:42 PM

<<..your machine...>>

OK, please 'splain it to me (I'm rather computer-ignorant).

<<Speak to your IT department>>

You mean the No-Help Desk at Data Processing? I work for the state, man. What kind of techies do you think we employ for thirty-five grand a year???
Old 08-24-2004, 03:42 PM

Yeah, probably, teh kids who groan when you tell them your machine crashed.. And then blame you for being an "ID-10-T" person.. (write it out, without the dashes..) and that the problem is a PEBKAC problem (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair)

(Sorry, jsut some afternoon 'IT dept' Humour!)

Yes, Most 'large companies' have a department devoted to "Information Technologies" (Computers, servers, routers, printers, and yes, software) Or, there is usually a person who is responcible for maintaining / upgrading / fixing the office computers.

Most large companies / organizations have this type of policy in place. It stops you from downloading everything off the web, and loading up 'games', etc.. Things that you can do during work, that is not considered 'work'. Also, some people run very specific programs, and their computers are 'dedicated' to a certain task. Installing your own software might conflict with the current settigns, and crash teh whole thing. And, if the IT department dosen't know about it, it'll blame it for eh corruption / problem. The other thing, is as we've mentioned, people who aren't really sure, and click 'YES' to everything, or try to change things the 'think' will make a difference...

"Joe, I deleted all teh DLL files, because I never use them." [bad, very very bad!!]

It seems that this particular machine (your machine, the one in front of you) has not been 'upgraded' with this particular plug in. Probably assumed you wouldn't need it, or you can install it yourself.. You shoudl have an anti-virus running, as well as a firewall on the main server. So, I woudln't worry too much about it.

You should have them come by now and then, to ensuer your operating system is up to date (periodic upgrades), along with a few other softwares you have running: patches, bug fixes, updates, etc... There are tonnes for all the various "Windows" OS out there!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:05 PM

Why does this only happen on RCU. Its starting to come up on every page, every thread.
Just another idiot between the M&S!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Banned

this won't only happen on RCU. It will happen anyplace using the common flash file format. a few of our ads and more coming will be flash based. It saves download times for users.

Simply download the free plugin if your system does not have it or if it is not up to date. That stops the prompt. It is your browser prompting you for this and NOT RCU

marc
Old 08-25-2004, 10:48 AM

<<Simply download the free plug-in...>>

Unfortunately, its not that simple. While I'm sure that will stop the annoying pop-up, as I stated I do not have the luxury of doing it.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:41 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

<<Simply download the free plug-in...>>

Unfortunately, its not that simple. While I'm sure that will stop the annoying pop-up, as I stated I do not have the luxury of doing it.

that stinks. what do you do when you go to sites like yahoo, msn, espn and such. they all run flash stuff.