Community
Search
Notices
Forum questions or problems Post any questions about how to use the forum or any bugs/problems you may be having in this forum.

Loading but with errors

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:26 PM
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loading but with errors

Every since the old RCU was converted to the new RCU and then back to the old I have been experiencing problems...The pages are loading very slowly and once they are loaded I get the "Done" message at the lower left computer screen...And then for no reason the page attempts to load again with the green staus bar at the bottom showing up but has errors on the page...It does this repeatedly, over and over again...About every few minutes...As I'm typing this it hasn't done it but when I surf RCU and read the forums the problem arrises again...What's up???

Kevin
Old 03-08-2009, 10:35 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Loading but with errors

Try closing all windows and deleting all cookies. Then come back to RCU and Log in again
Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Nope...No dice....This is happening on my computer at work too which is stringently managed by our IT guys....So it's not on my end...It's not a cookie problem.... It says that it is trying to load a picture...When I have time I'll post the exact error message...

Kevin
Old 03-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ads are being loaded in an iframe. I am testing this as it allows for faster page loads since in an iframe an ad cannot hold up the load of the regular page. To test this go to your account settings on the site and then disable banner ads. If it fixes it then this is the issue. Let me know here or via pm so I can revert the code back on the calls and see if that fixes it while the ads are then re-enabled.

thanks

marc
Old 03-10-2009, 10:49 PM

Thanks Marc...This fixed it...Can I re-enable the banner ads again or will this be an ongoing issue???

Again...THANKS!! Kevin
Old 03-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Banned

You can try to enable again. The iframes should not be an issue except on some older browsers or extremely strict IT dept's. An iframe to the browser is just a request in another window that happens to be on the same page. that's it.

marc
Old 03-19-2009, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem as Kevin. Blocking Banner ads has helped but its not the total answer.

For quite a while now, RCU Forum pages have loaded at a very erratic speed. Sometimes they have caused my Browser (Vista/IE7) to crash, and I have had to restart it.

I don't believe that its my set up. I have 2 PC's. My main PC is Vista/IE7 and the spare is XP/IE7. Up until the end of 2008, loading of Forum pages was very rapid on both machines. In 2009 - and especially over the last few weeks - page loading has been very erratic. All the other modelling Forums that I am a member of have been performing normally.

Browsing RCU has become a very frustrating experience.

Could some of the recent changes to the RCU Forums be the cause of this? If so, is there any early end in sight?

R R Wasson
Old 03-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned

Not sure if this is something on your end. I have 3 PC's here and a mac and cannot duplicate what you are describing. I wonder if you have some firewall issue or something else on those machines. It could be that or just bad network route to our servers.

you could run a traceroute to see if it is network related when the slow loads happen to rule that in or out

marc
Old 03-20-2009, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc,

Thank you for your reply.

I couldn't rule out network routing. I am based in the UK. Most of the time, the pages load more quickly AM GMT - i.e. when most US users are in bed! I have also done some Trace Route analysis and found that there are often bottlenecks on some of the Rackspace Servers with IP Addresses beginning 69.20 (I provided more details to John in my E Mail of 16th February).

However none of this would explain why the pages were loading normally before end 2008 and have slowed up during 2009. I certainly haven't changed any settings on either of my machines in the interim period. All my other Modelling Forum pages are also loading normally on both machines and some other UK users that I have spoken to have had similar experiences to me.

It is all a bit of a mystery.

I am a frequent user of RCU and I just wish that the pages would load with the same speed and consistency as they did up until the end of 2008.

In any event, thank you for responding so quickly to my posting.

Regards

R R Wasson

Old 03-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Banned

I'm not sure either because other then the ad code we have not changed servers, database or any code in the forums other then some very trivial formatting in minor areas. There is no additional queries to our database or server laods.

when it happens again try the traceroute and post it here so we can see if this is network related. because we do not have widespread reports of performance issue and I'm on all day hopping across our servers and don't see it that leads me to believe it is a network issue or possibly something with your configuration.

marc