Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

9C throttle EPA settings for e-planes

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 02:00 AM
FDC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9C throttle EPA settings for e-planes

Hi all,

Newbie here. I'm testing the electronics on my first electric plane and was testing the throttle. I noticed that the motor would only start once I reached 1/3 travel of the throttle stick. Then at about a bit of a half throttle (two notches) the motor would turn off. I was successfull in starting the motor just after one notch from the lowest throttle using the EPA function however no matter what adjustments I make for the full throttle, the motor just cuts off at the same two notches from half throttle.

What I want to achieve is that I could swing the throttle stick up to the maximum position without the esc cutting off the power the motor and starting the engine just after one notch from the lowest throttle settings thus I could have a linear and proportional control to the motor with regards to the travel of the throttle stick.

I'm using a 9CAP.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 9C throttle EPA settings for e-planes

I don't want to step on Krysta's toes but one reason might be your onboard battery pack isn't charged enough and your esc is going into low voltage cutoff. This happened to me when setting up a motor with a 7-cell pack and a speed controller designed for 8 cells minimum [&:].
Old 01-20-2004, 08:22 AM
FDC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 9C throttle EPA settings for e-planes

Hi FlyFalcons,

Although you did'nt exactly answered my query regarding my question about the EPA adjustment but you definitely answered the core of my problem. Did some testing again with the batteries fully charged and this time, the esc would cut-off two notches before full throttle. I double checked the esc cut-off voltage to be 4 volts. At least one notch before the motor cuts-off, the voltage level is already varying around 4.1 -4.2 volts. So when I push the throttle upwards one more notch, the voltage probably dips down to 4 volts or lower but my digital VOM just ain't fast enough to display the actual drop in voltage but after the cut-off, the voltage rises again to an almost unloaded voltage level.

Since the esc would cut-off before I reach the full travel of the throttle stick, I will not be able to actually measure if the epa adjustments are working correctly.

Thanks a lot for the input!