Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
 Starting Zenoah Engines With Magnetos >

Starting Zenoah Engines With Magnetos

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Starting Zenoah Engines With Magnetos

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:49 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Starting Zenoah Engines With Magnetos

I've read through several posts about starting Zenoah engines that have magnetos. There is a significant difference of opinions about the ease or difficulty doing that. What has been your experience? Dan.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:53 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Starting Zenoah Engines With Magnetos

Easy when the prop is mounted in a position that permits the sensor to develop the required speed before passing a magnet.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you mind being so kind, as to share that " position " ?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is detailed in the Toni Clark website. http://www.toni-clark.com/english/ue...€‹uebe_uns.htm

Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 02-02-2011, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<hr />
ORIGINAL: spaceworm

It is detailed in the Toni Clark website. http://www.toni-clark.com/english/ue...€‹uebe_uns.htm

Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard
<hr /><h1 style="color: #0a328c; font-size: 1em">ZUGRIFF NICHT ERLAUBT</h1><p style="font-size: 0.8em">Die angeforderte Seite darf nicht angezeigt werden.</p>
Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I recently got a giant stinger with a G62 engine.  It used to have a recoil starter that apparently went bad and was stripped down. No one could hand flip it fast enough to create a good spark. I use a fellow club members electric starter while I wait for my own.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 PM

Thank you everyone for your inputs. I appreciate them. Keep them coming. That German provider of the Zenoahs, they call them Titans, was very interesting. Dan.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

Good luck.

Sincerely, Richard

It is also referenced in the Zenoah owners manuals.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:25 AM
My Feedback: (66)

All the advice here is good. I re-oriented the prop on my G38, and it was much easier to start. If that fails, however, you may have compression issues....don't ask me how I know[]
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 AM
My Feedback: (43)

Keep in mind that all three magnets have to pass the pick up to fire. When you put the prop in the 'normal' place, the pick up is in the middle of the three magnets, and it will never fire no matter how hard you flip it from that point. This is the reason that it makes it a bid odd to start( at least the 45s and 62s). You actually start your flip well before TDC and it does feel wierd to flip hard against no resistance, then you hit TDC near the 12 oclock position in mid-flip.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 AM

I've had ther spring start and it works great but you need to use alittle high temp grease on it everyseason
Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 AM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn
<hr /><h1 style=''color: #0a328c; font-size: 1em''>ZUGRIFF NICHT ERLAUBT</h1><p style=''font-size: 0.8em''>Die angeforderte Seite darf nicht angezeigt werden.</p>
[/quote]

Copying the complete address rather than just clicking on the highlighted link address would have returned you the english website[8D]

Sincerely, Richard
Old 02-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Here ya go Dan. I have been doing this for quite awhile and it works flawlessly. The key is prop placement in relation to the magnets. I set mine up with the first magnet approx.1/2 inch BEFORE the pickup. Then keeping that spacing I place the prop at 3 and 9 or like this -. What you must do is not slap at the prop because what you need is speed. I place my gloved hand under the prop and go quickly over the top and when you feel compression you must continue right through that all the way through and out of the way with your hand. The goal is to quickly swing the prop over the top and through compression always keeping your hand in contact until it naturally swings out of the way. This does work very well, I do it every weekend. Usually pops on the choke in about 2 flips and with choke off usually starts in 4 to 6 flips. Good Luck, Kevin.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:44 PM

Now Kevin, that really is a detailed description. Thank you, Dan.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, very good description Kevin. I have a CH Jumpstart on my G62 that works great but I'm going to try the hand crank method this afternoon when it warms up.

Does anyone know if CH Ignitions ever plans to open again? Sure hope Bill Carpenter gets well.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:39 PM

We all hope he gets well. Dan.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Dan, I guess I just can't spin it fast enough. Flipped the Jumpstart on and it started right up.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:56 PM

With a threebladed prop, you better be Damn quick. On my G-62's I actually put the prop on compression at 10:30-11:00 oclock position, back the prop up to 12:30-1:00oclock position, and give it a good wop. It'll start on 3rd or 4th wop. REMEMBER, a G-62 has to be soaking wet, I mean gas coming out of the carb when choked. Also, I find the G-62 really likes the NGK BPMR7A sparkplug gapped at .019- .020. I also found out it likes 92 octane over the 87. Been flying my G-62 powered Ziroli Stuka for 15 years now, so I know what works for me, and I'm willing to bet it will work for you too. We dont need no stinking spring starters. LOL
Old 02-08-2011, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

I agree, very good description Kevin. I have a CH Jumpstart on my G62 that works great but I'm going to try the hand crank method this afternoon when it warms up.

Does anyone know if CH Ignitions ever plans to open again? Sure hope Bill Carpenter gets well.
I would sure like to reopen seems like I have let everyone down.We have 10,700 customers in the computer.I am building a few ignitions but doub't I will ever be able to start up again.
I am going for more surgery Feb 21st. My ribs and what is left of my sternum has all came apart.I guess they are going to tie my ribs togeather with titanium bars and titanium wire.The only time it hurts is when I am awake and when I breathe.LOL.Don't ask me about coughing.
When I get all over this I will post a note.If I can help anyone I will do what I can. Send me a PM.
Just found out a couple weeks that I received the Carl Goldberg award from AMA for 2010,don't think I deserved this.But I guess someone did.
The RCEXL from China is still the best ignition being sold.Most problems with it are user caused.It is exactly the same parts and circuit as mine except they do not have all the features of Ed volmers Syncro Spark computer timing control.
Later. BCCHI
AMA 2500
Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 AM
My Feedback: (43)

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

With a threebladed prop, you better be Damn quick. On my G-62's I actually put the prop on compression at 10:30-11:00 oclock position, back the prop up to 12:30-1:00oclock position, and give it a good wop. It'll start on 3rd or 4th wop. REMEMBER, a G-62 has to be soaking wet, I mean gas coming out of the carb when choked. Also, I find the G-62 really likes the NGK BPMR7A sparkplug gapped at .019- .020. I also found out it likes 92 octane over the 87. Been flying my G-62 powered Ziroli Stuka for 15 years now, so I know what works for me, and I'm willing to bet it will work for you too. We dont need no stinking spring starters. LOL

That is strange about yours having to be really wet to start. Mine will kick the crap out of you if it gets even a small amout too wet. I flip mine choke on till it pops once, then choke off and it starts up within 2-4 flips. If I flip it just one more time, choke on after it pops, its flooded and it will try break my fingers. I started flying mine in 2005, and I have yet to touch the needles. I got luckly right out of the box, and it runs perfectly. I am running a 22X10 ultra menz with 87 octane gas a Mobil 1 2T oil at 40:1. It will pull my 26 pound Wilga just shy of vertical, out of sight. Awesome engine!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 AM

Thanks bcchi for the update. You know we're all on your side. Dan.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 AM

Jeff, I think that one of the reasons that I'm not flipping my engine fast enough is just what you talked about, that is, twice it tried to separate my fingers from my hand though not recently. Bill (CH) did a great service for some of us by developing the Jumpstart. I have it on my 2 G62s and it never fails.

Bill, I wish you the best with your surgery on the 21st. Many modelers owe you so much for your contribution to our great hobby. Your AMA award is well deserved.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bcchi,
Do not worry about anything else right now. Just keep yourself in the best possible shape so when they do the surgery you will be in ggod shape...and even better after healing. We are all praying for your health and sure want things to go for the best.

All the things you have done has really contributed to this RC hobby, especially in the nice big gas poweredairplanes, that have become favorites of many. I am very glad you got the Goldberg award. I am sure other,s are glad too. Best Regards &amp; take Care Capt,n
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Interesting.....on my 62, I have full choke on and flip it (ign. off) until fuel is spitting out of the carb really good. I open choke and within 1-2flips its running-this is the cold start technique. With a warm start, I just give it a flip or two and its running....no issues no fuss! My prop is positioned @ 1:00 as I just begin to feel slight compression.