Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New 20cc popular gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New 20cc popular gas engine

How about it USA....lets clone the new popular 20cc RCgas engine. We would have another engine made in the USA. Cut loose with some of the $$$.Some big company can easy make & sell the same engine for about the same price. America can do it. Lets show people we can make engines here with even better quality. Would it be nice to buy from right here in the good old USA. Capt.,
Old 02-27-2011, 08:09 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New 20cc popular gas engine

Sorry Captain.... Nice thought but it will never happen. Oh we could make a fine engine here, but a 20cc engine would be priced at $389.00, minimum. Probably more.

Remember those little crankcases that some of us got to make twin cylinder engines? I talked to Keith Baker from BME, and he said that in today's world in the USA it would cost over $200.00 a piece just to have the crankcases made.

AV8TOR
Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am hoping that Syssa comes up with a 20cc version of their SAP180 30cc engine. If it has the rear carb/rear exhaust like the 180 it will be a strong competitor as the Syssa is made in the USA.

Ed
Old 02-28-2011, 08:02 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was approached about this same thing last year before the release of the Popular 20 CC Captn.
A vendor wanted a true 20 cc engine and the answer I come up with was this, to much money to do a complete engine, but an already made glow engine could be converted to gas at a fraction of the cost if the correct parts can be found and bought in a large quanity. Needle bearings carbs and igns and so on.
They didn't seem to like that and wanted a whole new engine, so the project never got off the ground. I wasn't going to flip out the cash and effort just for the fun of it, to many other things on my plate thats more important to me at the moment.
Heck you have a Lathe and a Mill why don't you make one up.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:46 PM
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any thoughts on the Mark G140 RC? It is a 23cc engine. I know they are hard to get though.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:17 PM

This reminds me of a question I have, that maybe one of the old pros here can answer...

The quest for power is never ending. Revised porting, larger carbs with pumps, superchargers, and many, many other things are tried to increase power. YS has even gone to the somewhat extreme method of using an engine to supercharge itself, which makes for extra parts and complicated machining. So here's the big question:

Why don't the glow engine manufacturers put needle bearings on the rod?? Wouldn't this be a pretty easy way to more power because you could run about 2/3 LESS oil, and that would allow more combustibles in the mix such as methanol and nitro, and therefore make more power? (And it would seem to be an easier and cheaper way to gain some power than a lot of the other methods tried...)

AV8TOR
Old 02-28-2011, 03:21 PM

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

Why don't the glow engine manufacturers put needle bearings on the rod?? AV8TOR
simple general answers.
Needle bearing designs are more bulky than a similar sized bushing design.
Needle bearing designs weigh more than a similar sized bushing design.
Needle bearing designs cost more than a similar sized bushing design.
Bushings have a higher mechanical strength than a needle bearing.

Yep, the advantages of a needle are reduced lubrication requirements and lower rolling friction but many of the high end glow engines require the lubrication more for the piston area than they do for the bearings.

Don't the large Supertigres use a much lower oil content than most glows? It can be done.

And I have been called a lot worse than either "old" or "pro"
Old 02-28-2011, 03:50 PM
My Feedback: (4)

It has been proven many times, less oil does NOT increase power, quite the opposite....
Old 02-28-2011, 04:03 PM

Well, yes Ralph, when going from 50 to 1 or higher ratios down to around 16 or 20 to 1. But the glow engines run much more oil than that. Like 5 to 1.

AV8TOR
Old 02-28-2011, 04:22 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, yes Ralph, when going from 50 to 1 or higher ratios down to around 16 or 20 to 1. But the glow engines run much more oil than that. Like 5 to 1.

AV8TOR
Needle bearings might be more prone to corrosion than bushings when constantly exposed to glo fuels. It might be hard to install a needle bearing in the big end of the rod and still maintain enough rod strength, yet still make the whole assembly fit inside the very compact glo engine crankcases.

The old Webra Blackhead 60 from the late 60s, early 70s used a needle beaing on the wristpin, plain bush at the crank end of the rod. I always thought that heavy bearing caused the engine to be more of a shaker than similar engines. That engine was king of pattern for several years though.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry Captain.... Nice thought but it will never happen. Oh we could make a fine engine here, but a 20cc engine would be priced at $389.00, minimum. Probably more.

Remember those little crankcases that some of us got to make twin cylinder engines? I talked to Keith Baker from BME, and he said that in today's world in the USA it would cost over $200.00 a piece just to have the crankcases made.

AV8TOR
I kinda wish you would not have come back with "it will never happen" . That kind of thinking is what stops people in there tracks. I belive it can be done. We needd to find a shop that has a couple CMC machines that are not being used. Also someone with the desire in that company to build RC engines.
This country needs to get going & start building things we know USA people would buy. A lot of the parts can be purchased in mass quanity like carbs, bolts, ignitions, bearings...ect. The cylinder is the pricey part. But we got people here in the USA that can combine all there ideas & efforts to get the job done. We also have now the internet to excange theses ideas about instantly.

I hope too Syssa could expand & produce some more good engines. They could I believe if they had more of the right kind of people helping in what ever why they can. Including financial backing. Just my 2 cents! Capt,n
Old 02-28-2011, 04:59 PM
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks truckracer I have been wondering about the Webra 61 black, I have a Webra ignition for one and you answer my question about if it had needle bearing rod or not. I might try later down the road to get one now.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:21 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

what gets me is why McCulloch, Homelite, Poulan and others don't build RC Engines, they already have the stuff
Old 02-28-2011, 05:55 PM

Probably liability. It's pretty hard for people to sue an overseas country. Here's the way Rotax has it set up to "cover their *****" while selling aviation engines in the USA. They are made in Austria. However, the engines are marketed through Bombardier of Canada. From there, they are distributed to the United States. I was told by a "honcho" high up in the US side of the business that if you, (or more likely some widow's lawyer) ever tried to sue Rotax for an engine problem, you would get the keys to an empty warehouse in Florida if you won the case. That's as close as you would ever get to "Rotax", and that's why they will sell engines here. But as the guy said, they STILL have law suits attempted against them, and they have to pay to fight them. That's why their engines cost so much.

Almost nobody in the states wants to take on the liability, or try to pay the ungodly premium for liability insurance, that one would pay for marketing aviation products of any kind in the USA and you can't blame them. Years ago, some idiot taxied an old Piper into a fuel truck and died. His wife sued Piper because that old airplane didn't have shoulder harnesses in it. She won the case, and I believe it was for 58 million dollars or something like that..... Most all manufacturers quit making single engine airplanes for a good number of years until the government finally moved to limit the number of years that they would be responsible for any given airplane. Even so, the prices went from $20,000.00 for say a Cessna 172, to $140,000.00.

AV8TOR
Old 02-28-2011, 05:58 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Good Grief! Trial lawyers, liability claims, Government regulators as well as cheap as dirt foreign competition put those companies out of business years ago. LOL
Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM

It,s all based around the crank,s, where ya gonna get them,not here!We have hot dogs and hamburgers,the place,s to get cranks have brown meatballs,braut wurst and shrimp fried rice,good luck