..., his 'tude is perfect for RCU...
How so? Please expound.
Yeah, this ought to be pretty good.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: DLE What?!?!

ORIGINAL: willig10

Well yes they do T.O.M. and my guess is at some point in your life you decided to want to fly gas as well. I am sure you learned everything there was to know the minute you bolted your shiney new gas engine to the firewall.
Originally I flew small and large glow for a great many years, a lot of which transferred over to gas use. At that time I became involved with gas engines I was not interested in gas RC at all, but was coaxed into it by a giant scale master because I wanted to fly larger planes, not tiny ones. Instead of pestering the world with questions I spent the next several years flying with him, learning about engines, giant scale construction materials and techniques, composites, and scale flying style. I took the time to learn one on one with a master. From there I went out of my way to make trips to visit other journeymen and small engine masters. During that process I found employment in a field that permitted even greater growth with engine knowledge and experience. All of the above are things anyone could do if they wanted to and were willing to sacrifice a little to obtain what they seek.

I did not then, nor do now, believe anyone can obtain all the knowledge they seek from text if they really want to be good at anything. If they don't want to get their hands dirty, spend time, effort, and money in hands on experimentation, or think it will be fast, cheap, and easy, they should get out of the endeavor.

I'll share with anyone but they must have a real interest in learning something instead of simply having something handed to them on a platter. From there those that received need to give something back instead of perpetually taking.

No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Am I opinionated? You bet. Do I feel any remorse about that? None at all. Do I care what others think of those attitudes? You already know the answer. No need to apologize for being good at what you do.

A1pc,

I was here passing out help and information long before you knew the site existed. Since the time when I first started here the same questions have been asked and answered a thousand times. The same silly mistakes are still made, the people are more lazy than ever when it comes to getting personally involved in anything they want, and they are cheaper than ever where quality and performance are involved. Laziness has reached new pinnacles. In short, many perusing the gas engine forum in RCU are looking for something for nothing, all while demanding the best there is available, which is a type of person I cannot stand.

Want a great example? Go over to the RCGF thread on the last page and note where some fool wants contact information for the RCGF repair station. He was too lazy to read anything other than the one post above his. Had he read three he would have found the link. This and other stupid stuff runs rampant on RCU. Fortunately there are RC sites for grown ups that have a fair level of knowledge, are not afraid to get hands on involved, where the people are not so feminine sensitive to anything said or heard. I used to post a lot about construction, repairs, builds, and set up but because of the kiddy pre-school outlook here I stopped most all of it.

The RCU gas engine forum mantra: "We deserve to fly the best with the rest but we cannot afford it so someone should be required to give us all we want, and it has to be the most powerful with the highest level of reliability. It also has to run perfectly out of the box, and require no user input"

BTW, I usually don't care much for your attitude either but you have a right to it.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T.O.M.
Your perception is way off. I am sorry but you sir do not know what other people do when they are not on RCU. Yes people post silly things at times. However, just like you stated back in your day. You went and trained with a master. Well I dont think there are many "Masters" around much anymore. Also the ones that are around at times have the attitude you so eloquently put out here on RCU. You may be a good person to be around in person but your attitude and air of superiority is what makes people not only here but at the field shy away from asking guys like you anything, for fear of the hidden punch at the askers expense.

You sirduring yourtraining, am sure you asked questions of your so called master that irritated the hell out of him. However I also bet he answered your questions with respect and dignity.

As I have said numerous times. If someone posts something that you feel isso below you to answer then by all means leave it alone and dont stir up the pot. If you feel obligated to answer then all I ask is that it is done with some form of respect to your fellow modeller.

You know T.O.M. you are not the only show in town and there are others that have gained someknowledge about gas engines here as well.

I value your knowledge base however I do not enjoy your banter and tactics when you respond the majority of the time. It isnot called for and being rude may be fun for you and a way to exert your authority but itdoes not wash with me.

Glenn Williams

Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: jedijody

.........his 'tude is perfect for RCU.............
Not at all!

Being helpful from experience (without a fowl attitude) is usefull to all.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Being condescending diminishes that, and ends up reflecting on RCU overall.

Treating stupidity with respect is condescending.

Being obscure when direct is the most approporate breeds continued error.

Sorry, but I haven't found a good reason yet to protect people from themselves. That responsibility belongs to the indidivual in question once they pass the age of about 16 or so. It's a Darwinian thing I suppose. That same Darwininan process developed some of the skills I obtained for hiding behind something solid when some people fly instead of complementing them on their "skill".
Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 AM

So in your case arrogance is bliss huh?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:47 AM

Willig10,

Actually, there are a lot of masters around, and most of them. INCLUDING myself, are quite pleased when we are asked to help or teach when we are out flying. We'll go out of our way to assist and instruct, giving up our flying time and labor without complaint.

However, that is rarely the case. Get to the field and offer to help someone that is clearly in need and you'll more likely get growled at. Of course everyone with their first through third gas engine knows more about it that you do. They can tune better, fly better, use a better oil, run the engine at the perfect temperature by using a heat gun, and have the best engine money can buy. You know why? Because they read it on the internet. They'll respect your knowledge only if you sell it to them or sell them a product. Others flatly resent that someone knows more than they do, and snub appropriately. Usually at later great expense.

Want to see my attitude change? Here's how:

Don't be lazy, do a search. Don't always want something for free, spring a few dollars to obtain better. Want to find out what works best? Experiment a little because one size does not fit all. Want an answer? Great, but don't feel you deserve an engineering textbook describing how the answer was derived. When you obtain an answer from knwon experience, don't argue with the result. Because it wasn't what you wanted did not make it wrong. Don't try to steal from someone. Because you wanted it cheaper so bought it elsewhere does not mean another person providing the best service owes you his free labor. He doesn't, and should not be shamed for becoming bitter about the free loaders.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:57 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on..
Old 06-23-2011, 11:11 AM
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Antique

Right on..
Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 AM
My Feedback: (55)

Well said, back there a few posts (#79), Glenn.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Patric,

Thing is, you'd never allow someone to spew the negative content you do here, over on TFC.
Ara Tidwell ring any bells? How long did he last there....14 days?

Impatient people have always been jumping into a thread, and too lazy to read the whole thread, re-ask a question
that has already been answered many times in the last few months. And they always will. You or I cannot change that
phenomena. The other engine wizards here often pass up responding.

Only thing you & I semi-agree on is users need to do searches before repeating a question ad nauseam.
I however, have de-tuned my attitude here in that area. Gotta go with the flow in these forums.

Post a reply with no negative commentary, and your knowledge shines!
Post a reply with the holier than thou, know-it-all attitude, and the most knowledgeable wizard in the entire world
comes across negatively.

We are in a social environment and should be polite and respect everyone's feelings, etc, etc.
When those times arise you can't, just pass up replying.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 AM

Please continue. I would like to know your definition of a free loader. I guess I see things in a different light. Or maybe we are comparing and discussing 2 different topics.

When I look at a guys post. I tend to read between the lines. Most guys have paid money for their equipment. I don't think there are too many that have not. Beingthat the equipment is good or not so goodshould have no bearing on how you or someone else responds to a question. To many here on RCU they see you as a jerk, who getsoff belittling someone for asking in your opinion asilly question.

Thisis not the 60's.

I tellyou what. You go ahead and continue to be theway you are. It is obvious thatyou have no desire to change your attitude. (You can't teach an old dog new tricks). Ifthat is what floats your boat.I guess I am not turned that way. I don't see any harm ineducating people with a non confrontational attitude. I spent many years in the military and I can take as much as Igive.It is when I see someone being a bully behind a computer screen that I have issues with. I would guess that inperson your a totally different guy.

As for me I will also continue to answer people when I can, however you can bet your bottom dollarthat when I do it will not be withsarcasm and rudeness, Here or at the flying field.

It's just the way I am. I dont apologize to anyone for being nice.I also sleepwell at night.

Ciao

Glenn Williams
Old 06-23-2011, 12:22 PM

Patric,

Thing is, you'd never allow someone to spew the negative content you do here, over on TFC.
Not true, I can name a couple of threads where almost anything goes. However, we are not here to discuss TFC. I'm certain I'll receive PM's both here and there about this thread. There has been a bit of laughter over there already.

Ara Tidwell ring any bells? How long did he last there....14 days?
Ever develop any historic activity on Ara? If you had you would know why he's not there, and not there at other forums anymore.

Impatient people have always been jumping into a thread, and too lazy to read the whole thread, re-ask a question
that has already been answered many times in the last few months. And they always will. You or I cannot change that
phenomena. The other engine wizards here often pass up responding.
Probably the best course. I'll join the others and not bother to respond. Have you noticed how few responses this forum receives from those other experts? The response rate has declined about 85% from what it used to be, so the blind have been left to lead the blind.

Only thing you & I semi-agree on is users need to do searches before repeating a question ad nauseam.
I however, have de-tuned my attitude here in that area. Gotta go with the flow in these forums.
I prefer to educate instead of go with the flow. Many will not initiate self help until they are pushed rather hard. Most would prefer to have someone do their work for them. Once they become a little angry you know they are "hearing" something.

Post a reply with no negative commentary, and your knowledge shines!
Post a reply with the holier than thou, know-it-all attitude, and the most knowledgeable wizard in the entire world
comes across negatively.
Information is useful or is not. Use it, or not, for what it cost you. Of course there are those questions that are initiated in a combative manner, which are always a lot of fun to respond to just to see how far it can go.

We are in a social environment and should be polite and respect everyone's feelings, etc, etc.
I refuse to be a part of your social engineering project. Those that want to be PC are more than welcome to be so. Remember that line in the movie: You can't handle the truth? That sort of explains it for me. There are a great many people out there that have no desire to be just like everyone else. Do you propose we should all drive the same kind and color of car? It does get down to that simple of a level. Don't know if you realize it, but most of you are part of my social engineering project.

When those times arise you can't, just pass up replying.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jedijody

.........his 'tude is perfect for RCU.............
Not at all!

Being helpful from experience (without a fowl attitude) is usefull to all.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Being condescending diminishes that, and ends up reflecting on RCU overall.

Look up at the top when viewing the headers in this Gas Engine section.
You'll often see 30-50 registered users logged in throughout the day.
Now, multiply that by 3-4 times and you begin to see how many 'lurkers' are
browsing here. Plus, hot/active threads thoughout RCU get top billing on RCU' homepage.

Many of us have scars, but that's not a badge of honor.
More important is the one who gave the scar![8D]
I'm not going to defend TOM, he's more than capable of doing that himself and much better than I could. I personally don't find his remarks abrasive butI can understand howthose with guilt about not attempting to find already availableinformation on their own might. I am one that believes the only dumbquestion is the one you don't ask but the answersare many times right infront of the asker, a little effort is all that's required to find it.I do my best to be civil and try not to offend, not always successful but hey, I'm human and a sinner.

Those that view the threads but seldom contribute I don't refer to as "Lurkers", a much better term for them is Learners. They read, use search engines, most have learned to weed through threads to find the useful information and use PM to ask specific questions of those that they know will give them the right answers.I converse directly with many of them on a daily basis.

I agree that scars are not a badge of honor but they can help explain a perspective or point of view.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: willig10

Please continue. I would like to know your definition of a free loader.
That's easy. A person that wants something for nothing.

People that know where the best service will be but elect to buy at a location selling for $20.00 or so less. When they need help they call or send the product to the person they would not buy it from. All the while they are expecting the same level of service as those that purchased from the excellent service provider. It's ok for the cheapest place to make some money but it's not ok for the person you want to work on it to make any. Is that the way many of you see it?

Next we can too is people that crash their equipment and expect to see it repaired for free.

Next we have those that screw up their equipment by doing something dumb and expect it fixed for free.

Then you have those that buy the cheapest product they can, who later whine and complain when those budget products fail to measure up to higher quality performance and operability standards.

How many of you fall into any or all of the above descriptions?

I guess I see things in a different light. Or maybe we are comparing and discussing 2 different topics.
This is clearly evident.

When I look at a guys post. I tend to read between the lines. Most guys have paid money for their equipment. I don't think there are too many that have not. Being that the equipment is good or not so good should have no bearing on how you or someone else responds to a question. To many here on RCU they see you as a jerk, who gets off belittling someone for asking in your opinion a silly question.
Whether equipment is good or not so good has a direct bearing on performance, yet many refuse to acknowledge that. In that alone a great many issues originate that were completely unneccessary.

This is not the 60's.
You are correct, yet so many trying to participate in gas powered modeling are still stuck in the 60's, or being generous, the 80's. Stepping up in equipment is too expensive. The days of the s-148's and such are long gone. So are many of the methods that were used. They're still functional but better used in other places. In some ways it's worse than being in the 60's because back then people still opened up an instruction book and read it. Sometimes they even had to learn to be creative because there was nobody around to spell it out or do it for them.

I tell you what. You go ahead and continue to be the way you are. It is obvious that you have no desire to change your attitude. (You can't teach an old dog new tricks). If that is what floats your boat. I guess I am not turned that way. I don't see any harm in educating people with a non confrontational attitude. I spent many years in the military and I can take as much as I give. It is when I see someone being a bully behind a computer screen that I have issues with. I would guess that in person your a totally different guy.
Again correct, for I have no need or desire to change. I'll overlook the cliches'. Thanks for your time in the military. It's appreciated and you were never forgotten.

As for me I will also continue to answer people when I can, however you can bet your bottom dollar that when I do it will not be with sarcasm and rudeness, Here or at the flying field.

It's just the way I am. I dont apologize to anyone for being nice.

I also sleep well at night.
As do I.

Ciao

Glenn Williams
Ya'll keep goin'. I'm having quite a bit of fun with this, and a lot of you are finally getting your opportunity to blow of some steam. Me too Feels good, doesn't it?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Andika

ORIGINAL: Uncas

If you want th best then buy a DA.
They are talking about 30cc engines

MOKI 1.8 = 3.9 hp @ 11,000 rpm /25:1
DLE 30 = 3.7 hp @ 8,500 rpm /30:1
DLA 32 = 3.8 hp @ 8,200 rpm /40:1
OS GT33 = 3.9 hp @ 9,000 rpm /50:1
Mintor 33 = 220€ /316$ VAT exclude.
MVVS 30 = unknown ?
Syssa 30 = unknown ?

RCGF 32 3.9hp @ 8600rpm recommended fuel to oil ratio 33:1
same price as the DLE
Old 06-23-2011, 03:06 PM

abrasive or not i see through all of that and have learned too much to mention from TOM, Jody , Ralph and others. Ive been flying for about 19 years and am still learning!

ps. i installed 125-527 in all my fuel tanks, and 125-528 in my gas cans... that should eliminate that-> thats the internals on a H9 inline fuel filter, i have a feeling my vent line sucked in some crap now that my can and tanks will be filtered properly i shouldnt have any problems with clogged screens for years!

*edit i filled up one of my gassers partially and ran it till the engine died, and it completely sucked the tank dry(walbro felt clunk)... i was kinda worried about that... just FYI

edit added pic of filter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82359.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1626877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36204.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	1626878  
Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 PM

Now that's ugly.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:36 PM
My Feedback: (18)

shoot i did'nt have anyone to ask questions, or let alone the internet to do searches!!!!! i learned the hard and expensive way by my self out in the mesquite laden lands of west texas!!! i did'nt even know about the ama , or a local hobby shop existed till after i already new how to fly!!! by the way the local shop was 102 miles away!!! all my shopping was done thru mail order!! good ol tower hobbies was my only source!!! also tought my self how to tune glo and gas!!! i do also understand that for a lot of people if you don't ask questions including myself how will you learn!!! then there is the darwin syndrome!!! some will never get it !!!! i have a aircraft building and engine repair service i run out of my shop!!! i am also willing to teach while i buildi !!! i have all dle engines in my personal hangar!!! a 20 2/30's, 3/55's and a 111, and one older a&m 4.2 i am in love with it's a stump puller!!! all run great!!! i do custom conversions from TCSA, with a home machine shop in house, and i will have to agree with T O M it sure gets old!!!!! (THE PETE AND REPEAT )if you can't fix it your self give it to one who can!!!! would also save a lot of thread work,needle point,ect!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:29 PM

Understand, I do.

There's at least 4 people in this forum that have been having issues with their DLE's while using the stock DLE plug. Of note is the factory spark plug issue became public at least 3 years ago, and has been well touted since. Only those that failed to perform due diligence before or after the engine purchase would be unaware of it, but they obtained their engines from a location that fails to inform the customers of issues and corrections. But they saved a few bucks by going there. Hopefully they didn't crash their plane with all those savings.

If we take a short step over to factory settings we'll still find people that seem to think a gas engine should run with the needles set as they were when the engine was put in the box. However, they'll twist the needles on the glow engines for every flight.

Then we have the people that are afraid to push the spark plug cap completely onto the spark plug.

And the real whopper are the number of people getting into this forum that have never bothered to open and read the newbie to gas engine sticky, but ask every question that's answered in the sticky.

Yes, I know, people hate when they are told their kid is ugly.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:38 PM
My Feedback: (20)

There is also the DLA engines out there, which are competitively priced. Contact va model builders for more info.

DLE-DLA 32 32cc SPECIAL OFFERING PRICE
Item# dle-dla-3232cc-gasoline-engin323238
Regular price: $319.00
Sale price: $259.00
Old 06-23-2011, 06:49 PM
My Feedback: (2)

About two years ago I predicted on one of these forums, that the new smaller engines would overload the forum servers with new people(making a low budget transition to gas) who wouldn't have a clue about gas engine setup/adjusting. While I doubt the servers are overloaded, the rest of my prediction is coming true. The 15 & 20 size engines will bring new blood to gas, but I imagine the smaller engines are going to need a finer touch than the larger gassers. This will bring more "Why won't it run?" questions from those who don't want to stray far from the "factory settings" or check/verify the timing before ever starting the first time.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys...please don,t take all this so serious. When you read a post, pick the good intent from it and let what you feel is not said just the way you think it shoud be said....go by the wayside. Maybe this bad weather and the way this summer is going has a bad effect on peoples moods.

Please let a person be himself. Everyone by nature over the years just grows into a definate way of helping, replying,asking questions....ect. That is their way, and do not expect them to be exactly like yourself. But you should always treat people like you would like to be treated. You know....Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Anyway...lighten up a bit Guys...and let your lite shine. Lets make this a fun place and a informative place people can come to for help. But there are some new Guys that need to Google some basic things first...we cannot answer every thing in a moment. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 06-23-2011, 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Guys...please don,t take all this so serious. When you read a post, pick the good intent from it and let what you feel is not said just the way you think it shoud be said....go by the wayside. Maybe this bad weather and the way this summer is going has a bad effect on peoples moods.

Please let a person be himself. Everyone by nature over the years just grows into a definate way of helping, replying,asking questions....ect. That is their way, and do not expect them to be exactly like yourself. But you should always treat people like you would like to be treated. You know....Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Anyway...lighten up a bit Guys...and let your lite shine. Lets make this a fun place and a informative place people can come to for help. But there are some new Guys that need to Google some basic things first...we cannot answer every thing in a moment. Best Regards Capt,n
+1
Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: ec121

About two years ago I predicted on one of these forums, that the new smaller engines would overload the forum servers with new people(making a low budget transition to gas) who wouldn't have a clue about gas engine setup/adjusting. While I doubt the servers are overloaded, the rest of my prediction is coming true. The 15 & 20 size engines will bring new blood to gas, but I imagine the smaller engines are going to need a finer touch than the larger gassers. This will bring more ''Why won't it run?'' questions from those who don't want to stray far from the ''factory settings'' or check/verify the timing before ever starting the first time.
You make a very good point. Something often overlooked with small gas engines is their sensitivity to tuning. My experience has been that the smaller the engine the more it will react to smaller movements of the carb needles. Those coming over from glow generally use the same amount of needle movement with a gas engine as they did with a glow. In and of itself that is very bad but when doing the same with what I'll call a mini gasser it becomes a catastrophe. When tuning a gasser of any size, small things bring large results. This is why following a very standardized tuning procedure, and taking your time doing it, pays off in spades.

Once you learn how it's done it will rarely take more than 15 minutes to tune a gasser, and that's without bothering using a tach. More time is wasted when using one of those because what's important is throttle up and down and how the engine sounds at wot. The numbers mean very little in the long run.

I'm signing out. She belongs to you now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.