Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Who makes a quiet 35cc Gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 07:36 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who makes a quiet 35cc Gas

Okay, I'm new to gas. I'm building a Dynaflight flybaby this winter. I was thinking of putting a Fugi 35 on it. I like the 3 year warranty. I've searched for mufflers on RCU and I can't find an answer in the 35cc category.

Who makes a quiet < 90db 26cc to 35cc gasser suitable for the Flybaby? OR where to I buy a muffler that works? I'm not interested in every bit of performance, but I am interested in not losing our field. Say less than $500.00?

Thanks,
John
Old 08-22-2003, 07:48 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Zenoah G26 from Horizon is a terrific little inexpensive engine with plenty of power for your application. A Bisson muffler can addded for $54 -

http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/muf...mageField.y=14
Old 08-22-2003, 07:51 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Here is the Horizon description and pricing

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...p?prod=ZENE26A

Total investment is about $350 plus shipping
Old 08-22-2003, 11:34 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

The MVVS 35 with the stock muffler is quiet.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:12 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gerry - Thanks for your comment s about using the Bission muffler. Does it make an appreciable difference in sound levels from the stock muffler? Some of the posts seem to indicate that Bissions' were loud???

TKG - Is this the $99 quiet tuned pipe that Morris sells? I don't see a stock muffler.
http://morrishobbies.com/product_inf...roducts_id=107

I was wondering if anybody could actually tell me what their experiences were with two or more different engine manufactures i.e. an actual comparison.

Maybe I should have said who is the loudest and avoided those.

My problem is that there are only 2 guys in my club who fly gas and they are both into the larger motors.

Thanks guys,
John
Old 08-23-2003, 02:23 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default Focus on the prop and muffler.

An engine makes noise. Bigger engines make more noise. It's that simple. Now, if you're serious about wanting to go quiet and willing to take the necessary performance penalty (there's always a small penalty), I'll tell you how you can achieve it. At our field we've been forced to go quiet. We've imposed a 93 Db limit on engines below 1 cube and 96 on engines over. Much experimenting has revealed the key is in efficient mufflering and reducing prop noise. Prop noise is a function of blade tip shape, diameter and speed. The further you can keep the prop tip speed from Mach, the quieter it will be. Blades with a thin tip, like on APC props, produce less tip vortex and are inherently quieter. Smaller diameter high pitch props work better in this regard. The intent is to lower the peak RPM down without overloading the engine. On the picture of my "own design" G-62 plane based loosely on a Lanier Stinger (mines all wood with plug in wings), I've used an APC 3 blade system (I believe it's a 21 X 12) and a Davis Diesel can muffler on a flex pipe. I've replaced the stock ignition with a CH electronic advance as well. Not a cheap setup, but very quiet. It metered 96 Db from the back and sides and 98 Db from the front, all measurements taken over grass from 9 feet distance. I've only got 3 flights on this bird (am in the process of moving and it's not finished) but it flys with authority. Larger volume baffled "can" type mufflers are available from a variety of sources but require some ingenuity in mounting - a "system" approach.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	103963_3876.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	58449  
Old 08-23-2003, 03:16 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

I guess that Morris is selling it without a muffler now. The orginal had a Europen side mount muffler that was very quiet but cost about 1000 rpm