Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
 1300mAh LiFe sufficient for ignition? >

1300mAh LiFe sufficient for ignition?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

1300mAh LiFe sufficient for ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1300mAh LiFe sufficient for ignition?

I am considering replacing my current 5c (with diode) NiMH ignition battery with a 2C LiFe 1300mAh from Hobbico to save weight. Will this be sufficient for ignition for a DLE20/30 for upto 5 flights a day? Is there really much of a point in the 75g weight saving?

Ameyam
Old 01-01-2012, 03:59 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: 1300mAh LiFe sufficient for ignition?

From extensive testing, recharging at the field and recording usage, I have determined that my ignition units are drawing 10 ma per minute while flying. From that, I would say you have nearly 2 hours of flying time on that ignition pack. I don't know what the packs would do near the bottom of the usage curve as I have never drawn them down that low.

Hope this helps. I have always believed that many fliers carry too large of a battery for our typical use. I always carry a fast charger to the field as well. Just a matter of personal preference. For what it's worth, my flight batteries draw the same amount of power doing warbird-style flying; fast passes, and graceful manuevers, etc.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:06 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

Agree with the above. Leave the diode though.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:22 AM

Yes; I use the diode, too.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Lifer

From extensive testing, recharging at the field and recording usage, I have determined that my ignition units are drawing 10 ma per minute while flying. From that, I would say you have nearly 2 hours of flying time on that ignition pack.
Not to want to rain on your parade of "research", the simplest way is to read this document
It's the published specs for the ignition module

http://www.modelaviation.com.au/manu...rcexlspecs.pdf

Besides, 10 mA pr minute equals 600mA pr hour (or 600mAh), way more than the published specs state
Old 01-02-2012, 03:50 AM

The purpose of my post was to relay facts and information to a fellow modeler in the hope of helping another. Whaqt was the purpose of your post?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, 10 mins a flight and at the max 5 flights is 50 to 60 minutes. This is a 1300mAh. Should be more than sufficient

I didnt understand 'leave the diode'. Are you saying to put in a diode (actually 2 or 3 will be required) or use a BEC instead. I have never used a BEC, its completely greek to me as I am a mechanical enginner, not an electrical one. I prefer to use a diode- the ones on my NiMH are taped onto a piece of ply andw wrapped with insulation tape for greater rigidity

Ameyam