Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Favorite optic kills?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Favorite optic kills?

I am getting my old GP Ultimate bipe ready to fly again and I need an optic kill for it. As of now, what are the favorites of you guys? I had a couple of the 42% variety and really do not care for them that much. One thing that would be great is if there was one that would regulate voltage down so I could use a lipo or other high voltage battery.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Favorite optic kills?

I have used the 42%. They worked fine for me, but now I use the RcExcell see photo below. My favorite by far of late is to hook up the choke with remote negating the need for an opto kill. As for regulator's I don't use them. As far as I know they don't make one that does not burn off the excess power to regulate what goes thru. Don't make much sence using a larger battery just to regulate/ burn off the excess putting it to the smaller batteryoutputwithout the regulator.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:36 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would like to use a Lipo because of how they perform. I have 4.8v batteries, but would prefer not to use Nimh, or Nicd anymore. There are a few benefits to having an opto kill that I like. When toggling it on and off with the TX switch, you can test and hear the plug spark, so I know I have it working.
The RCxcell does like a good unit and I am leaning toward one of those unless I hear bad things otherwise.
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The Ultra IBEC will drop receiver buss voltage down to the point where it's safe for the ignition module. 5.3 volts is the number that comes to mind. I bought mine through Syssa, though I know you can get it elsewhere as well. To my knowledge the Ultra has a pretty good reputation.

I understand the Rcxel will do that also, but there's some work that you'll need to do to it to make it do that. Doesn't look like too big a deal to me, but I haven't done it yet. Haven't seen many comments form those that have, so how well it works is kind of an unknown at this point.
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Electro Dynamics or Smart Fly...
using both with no issues.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Plus one for the ultra ibec but also had used the hobbyking one and the rcxel one with no issues. Loookat the life batterys for an upgrade to nimh, similar benefits to going with lipo but without the need for any regulators in most cases.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:03 AM

Hi .Has any one tried the hobby king one? $12 I.I.R.C worth a shot unless there complete crap of course . cheers the pope
Old 01-09-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using Smart Fly with no issues - Spektrum receivers AR7000 and AR8000.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:07 PM

Hobbyking one works fine, I have one but it needs a 6 volt ignition battery for it to work, would have been better if it would work with a 4.8 volt would save fitting a diode inline to the ignitionlike I done, but for $12 bucks it does its job just fine.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM
My Feedback: (4)

raydar, i just ordered the HK optic kill swich few days ago. I'm gald i ran into this thread, what diode do you use?

Thanks V.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:43 AM

IN4007 is the diode to use, do a search on them to get all the info you need.