Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Motor mount for DLE 20cc

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mount for DLE 20cc

Recently bought a new DLE 20cc engine, I will mount it into a Seagull Space Walker 2, My question: Is it recomended that it be mounted to the fire wall with a Du-Bro isoelastic beam mount. Reading the manual seems to state that DLE wants it mounted that way to prevent (damaging) vibration. Thoughts, opinions, and EXPERIENCE would be welcome.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:45 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Motor mount for DLE 20cc

ORIGINAL: rlold

.......................Is it recomended that it be mounted to the fire wall with a Du-Bro isoelastic beam mount. Reading the manual seems to state that DLE wants it mounted that way to prevent (damaging) vibration....................

That is NOT the DLEngines DLE20 manual, but rather a Tower Hobbies/Hobby Services/Hobbico manual on the DLE20
(look in the lower LH corner of it's first page).
That anti vibration mount is NOT needed, and not recommended by DLE. That's one of a handfull of errors in that manual.

Most any glow style eng mount designed for a 1.20 glow will do the job.

Further reading here........

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9863953/anchors_9863953/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9863953]NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post).....[/link]

.....and here........

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10197884/anchors_10197884/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#10197884]What Aircraft are you installing your DLE20 ......[/link]
Old 01-21-2012, 10:10 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Ditto about the motor mount.
However speaking of the seagull spacewalker..... Is it the 120 size? Mine was.I will tell you that I have had some recent experience with that plane, and it was not good..... I had that plane for 8 months, with a total of 12 flights on it (most of them very short). Each flight I was seeing flutter from the back of my plane. Of course I assumed it was control surfaces. After each outing, I came home and tried new things. IE: changed servos. linkages, etc. On my last fight, when I thought I had it all beaten, wham..... It happened again. I brought it down to find that it actually was fluttering or had fluttered the entire tail section just in front of the tail feahters. Upon inspection, the entire time I had it, I never seen, felt, or anything indicating that the tail section was loose or damaged in any way. I never had any bad landings or anything with these few flights. Anyway, when I bought it down (luckily) the last time I was very surprised to see that the tail section was partially missing and the problem was it! At the flying field we further pulled back the covering to see actually how it was constructed.... Not much between the lite ply bulk heads (spaced fairly far apart). There are two 1/4" (or metric eqivelant) balsa stringers on each side. One on top, one on bottom. Then sheeted only wth 1/6" ( or metric eqivelant) balsa sheeting. I never really noticed it that closely when assembling it. I'm a fairly new builder with good success, and know enough by now that, that is NOT enough support. I'm not slamming, just saying look at yours closely & be careful...... I attached a picture of mine, to show the damage and construction. The guys at the field were greatly surprised that I was able to bring it down like that. It was mushy in the controls, but came down safely all the same. The only thing holding it on was some sheeting, a couple of the balsa stringers and the control rods.
Good luck!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the help guys, and I will check out the aft construction on my space walker, I really liked the Sig version, But alas, one day I asked it to do more than it (and I) was capable of... There were no survivours, so I purchased the Sea gull version (as Sig is/was not making kits) As you can see from the Northern Minnesota locale, I am NOT going to be flying off a feild any time soon
Old 01-21-2012, 11:34 AM
My Feedback: (3)

I thought I saw recently that Sig was making / selling the spacewalker kit??????

Sorry my damage picture won't post. Very weird......
Old 01-21-2012, 11:43 AM
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: rlold

.....................As you can see from the Northern Minnesota locale, I am NOT going to be flying off a feild any time soon
Wimp![X(]
Not really I'm in the same boat.

Got ski's for two of my fleet, but the fingers keep saying no way!

Only bad thing about many Seagull products is their L-G seems made out of some mutation of pot-metal and aluminum (bends far too easily).
Old 01-22-2012, 09:33 AM

You can use a GP 120-180 beam mount. Its adjustable and larger so you can cut off what you dont need after mounting the engine

Ameyam