Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

best oil to use

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:12 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best oil to use

ok guys whats the best oil to use...........i have 70cc twin (MLD)..........also..sould i use high test or reg gas
Old 01-11-2013, 06:32 AM

Default RE: best oil to use

Just go over to Fischer Blvd. and get some used fryer oil from Mrs. Obco's doughnut shop, at least the exhaust will smell great
On a more practical note, one of the popular oils is Stihl HP Ultra. Going to high octane gas with a low compression engine usually results in less power. I run 87 octane in my gassers, unless the manufacturer calls for high octane.
Pete
Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

Sthil, Red Line

Any quality air cooled two cycle will work well.

I use Red Line at 40:1 and regular gas
Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to say that Stihl Ultra and Red Line are the oils to use. Two stroke air cooled engines.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 AM

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Best oil, wow what a question. Even though I use Red Line mixed at 32:1 most any oil designed for air cooled 2 stroke engines will work well in our relatively light duty engines, but since we generally want the best for our little jewels some of the better known quality oils are, Stihl Ultra, Red Line, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, Lucas, Mobil and Bel Ray to name a few.

Karol
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: karolh

Best oil, wow what a question. Even though I use Red Line mixed at 32:1 most any oil designed for air cooled 2 stroke engines will work well in our relatively light duty engines, but since we generally want the best for our little jewels some of the better known quality oils are, Stihl Ultra, Red Line, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, Lucas, Mobil and Bel Ray to name a few.

Karol
Here we go again......

I use and recommend BelRay MC-1 motorcycle racing synthetic, at 50:1. I break in and run on the same mix. One 12.8 oz bottle mixes 5 gallons gas. Buy on line or at local M/C shops, around 9$ a bottle
Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 AM
rmh

Opinions on oil vary with users

The synthetics noted are all good
the ratios of oil to use - - 32-1 to 50 -11 work.
Octane - any cheap pump gas - the high alky stuf simply leans the mix. in cars the onboard computers adjust the fuel ratio for the injectors
Av gas - forget it - no gain .
On well tuned tuned pipe setups you MAY see power loss on cheapest fuel - don't bet on it .
Getting the mix right is important
a well setup gasser may gurgle
a bit in level or slight dive but will run solid and strong in a steep climb -as far as you can go.
trying for a super clean run in level flight is simply toooooo lean. no matter what gas or oil used.
If you have the engine matched to prop/airframe - this info should work for you
Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: MTK

Here we go again......
Yup;

A search on RC Universe will get you a bunch of threads asking the same question and Info, but what you will find that Stihl Ultra seems to come up a lot and that is what I use as well.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 AM

I'm glad y'all said something, reminds me I put oil in the gas can the other day and need to fill it up on the way to the field when I knock off at lunch time and head out
Old 01-11-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

I'm glad y'all said something, reminds me I put oil in the gas can the other day and need to fill it up on the way to the field when I knock off at lunch time and head out
So glad we could assist

Karol
Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just stocked up on Stihl HPultra
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM

Local boat store (West Marine) was dumping Red Line for 10 dollars a gallon.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:36 PM
rmh

The Red Line to use -is "red line racing two stroke"
there are other types of Red line
Old 01-11-2013, 04:39 PM

Yup, I'm aware, been using it for a couple of years now
Old 01-11-2013, 06:36 PM
My Feedback: (48)

How do you guys feel about the "Mobile 1 two stroke" oil......don't believe it's available any more, but I just happen to have a case of it.....
Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: tande

How do you guys feel about the ''Mobile 1 two stroke'' oil......don't believe it's available any more, but I just happen to have a case of it.....
I still have some too
good stuff
Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rmh

Opinions on oil vary with users

Av gas - forget it - no gain .
On well tuned tuned pipe setups you MAY see power loss on cheapest fuel - don't bet on it .
Getting the mix right is important
a well setup gasser may gurgle
a bit in level or slight dive but will run solid and strong in a steep climb -as far as you can go.
trying for a super clean run in level flight is simply toooooo lean. no matter what gas or oil used.
If you have the engine matched to prop/airframe - this info should work for you

I love avgas not for the power but for the near lack of stink. It's ez to get around where I live so that's very convenient. Plus it don't go bad for a very long time.

True enough on the "no gain" comment...... premium auto gas definitely gives higher output. But in my set-up it really doesn't matter. I'd rather get a couple hundred RPM less and have the ease on the nose, clothing and garage and carthan the other way around. The OS GT33 has power to spare on an 11 1/4 pounder.

Dick you ought to try this one; Hey BTW does Ed make carbon canisters? I sent him an email awhile back and never did get a response

On needling, exactly what I've found too.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:46 AM
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Amsoil Saber 100:1 is all I use, and no issues. Primary oil recommended by DA engines.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 AM

I am reluctant to suggest Amsoil Saber Pro 100:1 oil. Something is suspicious about it. I thinkStihl Ultra or Red Line may be the way to go. I do have some Stihl oil I got at the dealer's store, and after cleaning up my 9cc gas engines I plan on running a gallon or so through the engines to see how it compares.

Evolution in their instruction sheets for gas engines, such as the new Evo 10cc engine state to not use Amsoil products of any type in their engines. Some other engine manufacturers state the same thing too,

Now then I am using Amsoil 100:1, but it is at 20:1 to 25:1 (small engines) and 32:1 (different engines) and it seems to work OK. But it is leaving some carbon residue in the little 9cc engines. I haven't looked at the 17cc engines to see what it is leaving as to carbon residue. The Amsoil people seem to all say you have to use 100:1 oil ratio to get little to no carbon residue in the engine. But with our Model RC airplane engines where we tend to fly the full throttle all the time and with a full load on the engine, I just don't see that little amount of oil being enough to not cause the engine to have problems. So if you use more oil in the fuel, you get more carbon residue. Some engine repair people have stated that with Amsoil 100:1 used (32:1 or so) they see carbon deposits that are hard to remove from the engine. But with my little 9cc engines, the carbon residue wasn't all that bad to scrape off.

Both of these little gas engines have run over two gallons of gasoline through them using Amsoil Saber Pro at a 20:1 to 25:1 oil ratio. But the oil is not as clean burning as they are stating it is.

My second NGH 9cc engine piston top using Amsoil Saber Pro 100:1 at a 20:1 to 25:1 ratio.

Mysecond NGH 9cc combustion chamber, looks good, but the spark plug is somewhat gunked up, even though the electrode is clean.

My first NGH 9cc gas engine:

My First NGH 9cc gas engine

Old 01-12-2013, 04:47 AM
My Feedback: (48)

ORIGINAL: tande

How do you guys feel about the ''Mobile 1 two stroke'' oil......don't believe it's available any more, but I just happen to have a case of it.....
I still have some too
good stuff
Thanks, I was hoping so.....I gotta believe "Mobil" knows as much about lubrication as anyone!...FWIW
Old 01-12-2013, 05:05 AM

I have been using Amsoil Saber now for 8+ years and hundreds of flights. But, I am running on DA 50cc, 100cc and 150cc engines with no issues....ever. Also in Zenoahs with no issues. I have a buddy that is a retired engineer and rebuilds engines for "extra income" in retirement. He only recommends Amsoil Saber and is using it in all of his Saito 4 cycle and the 4 cycles of Saito and OS that he has converted to gas. I just started using it on my Saito FG-36. We do mix it to 20:1 for the 4 cycles, and they won't take the abuse of less oil and will come apart according to him.
Now, some of those smaller "Chinese" engines, may not be as tolerant to the oil, due to less quality of metals and manufacturing tolerances and internal gaps. This maybe why you aren't getting the clean burn. It also looks to me...IMHO....you are running those engines too rich via your pictures. Should be a "light brown" in color for proper burn. I have had students use Amsoil in some of those engines, like the .17 you are talkign about, and we never could get it to run right and produce power. Maybe the Amsoil had something to do with it, but we wrote it off to a cheap Chinese junk engine. Because we did try other oils, and no good results.
It isn't for everyone, but to me, if the Best American Engine manufacture recommends it to use in their engines......then guess what? That is what I am using. DA is warranting their engines for 3 years using the stuff!! As most know, DA is a "high end" engine. But, they are dependant of the company's reputation using Amsoil Saber. To each his own......it is like, do you like a Chevy or a Ford?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:38 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Red Line to use -is ''red line racing two stroke''
there are other types of Red line
Red Line Racing Two Stroke oil at 40/1. Regular gasoline or half regular gas and half av gas. Av gas by itself runs too hot.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:58 AM
My Feedback: (117)

At the end of 20 pages, if this thread last that long before being shut down for oil fights and nasty comments, you find any oil made for air cooled 2 cycle engines is fine if you use enough of it. I use Pennzoil at 40 to 1 have for years and am happy as a bald headed bumble bee in 100 acres of red top clover in full bloom. . Brian
Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 AM

RCFlyerDan, Well I do not think that Amsoil is bad. But I am still suspicious. But I have not had any engine failures using Amsoil oil in my engines. So that is a good thing. Running more than two gallons of fuel through a little 9cc engine is quite a bit of flying time too. Yeah I am a bit paranoid about letting the little engines run too lean. That bushed rod tends to be the weak point.

This happened using a cheaper grade oil.

This was another example rod failure that used cheaper oil too:

Old 01-12-2013, 07:14 AM

I was skeptical too at first! Just didn't sound like enough or was correct. I am just saying that I have owned several DA, Zenoah and now a Saito FG-36 that I am successfully running the oil. No failures or early overhauls. After all, the DA engines are high enough quality, that we do overhaul them. I truly don't care what anyone else runs or likes for thier engines. Unless you have stock in the oil company, what's it matter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.