Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
 DA ENGINE QUESTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

DA ENGINE QUESTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA ENGINE QUESTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 05:28 PM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA ENGINE QUESTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys i live near a small private airport, I have acces to AVGAS at cost. My question is can you run this in DA engines and will it hurt it at all. I have heard someone say that it dries bearing's out and some say it will do fine. I emailed DA but no response. I believe the gas is about 112 octane, and it burns extremely clean. thanks.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:38 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: DA ENGINE QUESTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave's phone # is 520 722 0607, why not try it ?[8D]
He should know what works..
Dried out bearings ? RIGHT...All three crank bearings in a DA and 3W are SEALED, grease is always there...Maybe someone can explain how fuel can get past the rubber seal on the bearing and displace the grease...
Must be true, I read it on the Internet......
Old 12-04-2003, 10:22 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I met this fellow flying IMAC who runs Avgas in his ZDZ without any problems. He does it because he stores his plane inside his apartment and the Avgas doesn't stink like pump gas. The ZDZ also has sealed bearings like the DA. The octane of Avgas won't make it run any better, but if you reset your needles (the BTU value of the gas is different, so the air fuel ratio is different), the engine should run fine. Avgas contains a significant amount of lead and may leave some deposits on the plug. You'll need to change the plug a little more often.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:57 AM
My Feedback: (33)

I run avgas in my ZDZ and after 15 gallons there is NO build up on the plugs. It won't hurt your engine but it will not give it any more power either.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:32 AM
My Feedback: (2)

you might want to do a search on AVGAS and 100LL - this topic was beat to death a few months back.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:11 AM

Well I know it will not give it anymore performance but like i said i get it for 1.72 a gallon so why not run it.. anyway appreciatte the comment if anyone else has anything let me know.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:27 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I fooled allot with this in automotive engines FWIW. My opinion is that the compression and timing is set to run with standard pump gas, so you will just be paying more and not notice any improvment, except the sweet smelling exhaust. I wonder if you use the Leaded gas if you can crank up the ignition timimg and get more power. Me, I'm not willing to experiment - she runs fine just the way she is So if you want to use it - I think you can go ahead. I don't think there will be any difference other then the price.
RickP
Old 12-06-2003, 10:20 AM

Adding ignition advance is no guarantee of higher power. You can also lose power with more advance as the expanding gas may fight the piston on the way up toward TDC. It all depends on the flame speed of the gas. Excess ignition lead is a sure way to burn holes in the piston on a 2-stroke.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:27 PM

Avgas is just fine for our small gasoline engines. The higher octane fuels do nothing to benefit these small gasoline engines.

If you can get it, use it...........
Old 12-07-2003, 03:46 PM

I know that AVGAS also has a deicing agent to prevent freezing and a anti aging preservative and it will not go old and not gum up parts, carb etc.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:06 PM

I beg to differ. I have a little experience with this. Avgas is not made with a de-icing agent unless it it added by the owner or FBO if they have a water problem in their tank. Anti-oxidants may be added in varying amounts depending how the fuel is made in the refining process and how many olefins are in the fuel.

But, avgas can be used in our small engines. You may see a little power loss, but the smell is much better, especially when you are putting the plane in your SUV!

Mark
Old 12-08-2003, 12:10 PM

At our local airport we purchase it from BP and the quota report reads that it has the icing agent, octane ratings and etc. I have seen it on paper from the BP distributor, now whether they add it for us or not i don't know.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 PM

I've used AVGAS in my DA and DL engines. There is no improvement in performance. Since the higher octane is needed to prevent predetonation in higher compression engines. You may notice that your engines take longer to start.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:26 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

WOW, you dug up a 6 year old thread????? I congratulate you on using the search engine....

DA now specifically says no AVGAS in their engines.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AvGas still contains lead in significant quantities. AvGas is still more expensive than pump gas. There is zero performance benefit in using Av Gas. All current Walbro carbs are methanol/ethanol resistant in the quantities currently blended with pump gas. From there you people can make your own determinations for suitabiility.