Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

looking for an engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 10:20 PM
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for an engine

Hello all

I'm looking for an engine. I want to put it on a GP Christian Eagle. It needs to be at least a 46cc in size. The only other thing I want is it to be rear exhaust Is the anything on the market like this?

Thanks,Randy
Old 02-06-2004, 11:35 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: looking for an engine

RCS has a 40 cc with rear exhaust... Will that work? www.rcshowcase.com Rear exhaust is not very common... I checked the 3W site and it doesn't appear that they have any rear exhaust engine...
Old 02-07-2004, 10:14 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Post removed by Moderator.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:38 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flier,
I've been following some of your posts on another thread, and it seems odd? that you will want only a rear exhaust on the Eagle. If all you're trying to do is to preserve the appearance of the cowl on the bottom of the plane, don't waste the time and money. In all likelyhood, you will need to open up the bottom for hot air to exhaust out the bottom of the cowl. I have the G/P Pitts, and it was the case in that.

If, on the other hand, you are looking for an engine that could be used on both the Eagle AND another plane, bear in mind that several muffler manufacturers make wrap around mufflers to bring the pipes out the rear of the engine.

I can tell you with complete honesty that the Brison 3.2 (52cc) engine will power both the Eagle and the other plane you are looking at with utmost authority and reliability. It also works out well for balancing the Eagle and Pitts with hteir short tail moments. Then again, a BME50, DA50, Taurus52, Fox52, and several others will power both planes very well. All with excellent power, quality, and ease of operation. Steer clear of the cheaper brands marketed by a certain mega-company. They are priced that way for a reason.

Buy what you can afford, but purchase with quality for long term use and reliability.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:54 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

I have to second silversurfer. It's best to buy a dedicated engine from a reputable engine company, than to get a "barely breathed on" weedy conversion that still uses a magneto. True, there are a lot of "Conversions" in the size range you are asking about, but most companies (I've seen BME do a conversion .. EXTREME attention to details) that market such engines do things like straightening cranks, checking everything for trueness and alignment, and then bolt it all back together and offer a 2-3 year warranty, on top of adding a high quality electronic ignition and a lot of detailing that helps reduce weight.

Almost every single cylinder engine has a wrap-around muffler available for it that will easily fit inside a cowl. given the "bang for the buck" argument so often heard, matching prices will show a greater deal of "Value" from an engine such as a BME50 or DA50, when compared to the smaller ZDZ40's, as well as a substantial power increase over the smaller engines with almost zero weight penalty.

If it was me, and all the major engine brands were laid out before me, I'd go with the DA or BME 50's over any others in the 40-60cc size range. They really ARE the best values in that engine size market.