Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

My Sincere Apologies!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:08 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Sincere Apologies!

for anything bad I might have said or "thunk" about G-62's, or Zenoah engines in general.

I'm relatively new to the gas engine part of this hobby (4 years), so I have played exclusively with the "high-falutin'" electronic inition gassers like 3W, BME, and DA. I have to admit I was intimidated by all the problems my colleagues had with magneto ignitions. I like to come out, set up ,and FLY, not stand on my head all afternoon trying to start my engines.

Well, this summer I bought and re-engineered and flew a Ziroli P-61 with new G-62's already on it. I fully expected to have to pull them off and fit them with electronic ignitions, or replace them with DA-50's. I even ordered a big-Hog Miller RC starter, so I wouldn't tear my arm off flipping the props.

Well, Surprise! Surprise! The G-62's average about two flips to start, and run like gangbusters..20X10 3-blades @ 7,400 after only three tanks of gas! NONE of my electronic babies are that friendly.

I think part of it is about having spring starters that flip the flywheel through both spark and compression, which would be pretty hard by hand.

OK, so they're cheaper, have no batteries to charge, start easier, run great. Besides forward weight (which warbirds always need anyway), what's the catch??

mt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67323.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	180840  
Old 10-08-2004, 10:24 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: My Sincere Apologies!

There is no catch, it just appears to be a well kept secret that has eluded many of the newcomers to gas for a few years.

Those that are only interested in light weight have little to fear from Zenoah, but the long term reliability is something to be reckoned with. That's one of the reasons a friend has been running Zenoah's for the last 15 years, and every one of the engines he started with are still running after that period of time, several with many, many thousands of flights.

Oh, and by the way, that's the way they usually start. Just a couple of flips.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:51 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zenoah = BULLETPROOF!
Old 10-09-2004, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dittos for me. I love 'em! I have 5 of them now in different sizes and they all start easily by hand and run great.

Jim
Old 10-09-2004, 10:33 AM
RTK

Also, if you want it lighter and on battery ignition give Ralph a call he'll set you up.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:00 PM

Tell me where I could contact Ralph. Thanks
Old 10-09-2004, 08:29 PM
My Feedback: (62)

[email protected]

You won't be sorry... great guy and a wizzard with engines.