Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Magneto vs Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 11:33 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magneto vs Ignition

Ok, I'm new to Gas RC engines so please bear with me...

I picked up a Hangar-9 Ultra Stick 1.20 (Original) at a swap meet last weekend and I want to hang a Gas engine on it... Everything I've read points toward using a Zenoah G-26 engine, which is fine... After reading up a bit more on these engines, they use a magneto instead of an ignition system... Got no problem with that, but now I've found a couple companies that will retrofit the G-26 with an ignition system and do away with the magneto system.

What are the pros and cons of using an ignition system vs the stock magneto???

While I'm at it, what do you think of using the G-26 on the original heavy version of the Ultra-Stick???

Thanks for any input...

Mark
Old 10-18-2004, 12:19 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Magneto vs Ignition

As you will discover an ignition system adds about $150 to the cost of the engine. Although it will give you a bit more RPM and a little better idle, you will have another battery to charge -and the engine runs just fine on the magneto.
I'd say forget the ignition system until later when you better know your requirements.
I used to watch a fellow fly an ultra stick with a G23 (with the magneto) and it seemed to be a good match. The G26 should be even better
Old 10-18-2004, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the magneto because it is simpler and always ready to start. It also doesn’t appear that the weight differential justifies the additional components. By the time the battery weight and ignition system is considered the weight saving is usually very small considering the weight of the airframe.

The cosmetics are better without the magneto.

Additional RPM is questionable considering the props that are generally used. I checked a Ryobi this morning and in a standard string trimmer it turns 8100/8200.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:14 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course it's an easy flip to start an ignition engine. A magneto engine can be quite a bear to start. You need a geared starter, a spring starter, or are able to "slap" the prop to a high enough RPM to get a spark. I've watched many magneto engines go home un-started because the person's arm got tired. Today a Magneto engine's only redeeming quality is price.

If I had another magneto engine, it would already be on the way to Ralph’s (RC Ignitions) for one of his conversions.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:08 PM
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Wings-RCU

Of course it's an easy flip to start an ignition engine. A magneto engine can be quite a bear to start. You need a geared starter, a spring starter, or are able to "slap" the prop to a high enough RPM to get a spark. I've watched many magneto engines go home un-started because the person's arm got tired. Today a Magneto engine's only redeeming quality is price.

If I had another magneto engine, it would already be on the way to Ralph’s (RC Ignitions) for one of his conversions.
A jump start is a lot cheaper than ignition if you are unable to start the mag engine. It does take a bit of smarts to start one but once you learn it you can usually start one even without the jump start.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:23 PM
My Feedback: (10)

I got an old G-23 with points, and once I learned how to start it by hand, I sold my big starter. Cold starts generally take 6 or 8 flips, hot starts 1 or 2.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:04 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

On a G-26 the total weight savings is around 6-7oz (with a Nimh battery) as far as power don't really know cause all the G-26 were converted before they were ever started. The one with the most time on it has the CH ignition conversion, Abel muffler, its turning an APC 17x8 in the 87-8800 range.
Field is 5300ft.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:24 PM

The G-26 with elec. ignition is a breeze to start and very smooth engine.

I have one in a Dynaflite SD and turns prozinger 18x6 at 8.300 rpm, thrust 14.5 lb, with B&B muffler.

Ask Ralph at RCign.

Paulo

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89050.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	184057