Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
 Newbie to gasser engines, need help. >

Newbie to gasser engines, need help.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Newbie to gasser engines, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to gasser engines, need help.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good engine for the Giant Scale Airplanes Extra 300? Since I am new to gas and have been flying glow engines all along I wanted to know what a good engine for this airplane would be without breaking my bank account? I wanted to keep the engine cost around $400, due to the nature of first time gas experience and don't want to end up trashing a very expensive manuever on some 3D practices. I received this plane relatively cheap (after a bad experience with a GSP Corsair) so I decided to try gas out for a change. Any help would be appreciated. Airplane specs are:

Wingspan 80 inches
Length 67 inches
All built up Balsa Fuse
Recommended engine size 2.7-3.2cu.
Wing Area is 1215 Sq. In.
Flying weight is 13-15 lbs
Wheels: 2x3" & 1x1"
Fuel Tank: 20/24oz.
Spinner: 3¾"
Old 10-22-2004, 07:08 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Newbie to gasser engines, need help.

Zenoah 38 ,Quadra or Us engines 35 0r 41cc would do great and not bust the budget.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:42 AM
My Feedback: (6)

If you are going to try 3D with this plane,,, you might look at Brison 3.2.
It's the best bang for the buck.
$450 for engine and if noise isn't an issue there are some cheap mufflers for it.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:00 AM
My Feedback: (36)

If you can keep your plane close to the advertized weight of 13-lb I would go with a Brison 2.4 ($399). If the weight creeps up to the 15-lb mark, which in all honesty it will, go with the Brison 3.2 ($449). Both engines run great and make respectable power for their displacement. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2004, 01:11 PM
My Feedback: (14)

A converted G38 would work great. Lightish, good power and not overpriced.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:02 AM

I'm new to this game. What about Fuji? Not good? Thanx. Jim
Old 10-24-2004, 10:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There have been comparatively few posts about the quality and performance of the Fuji line of engines. There is also very little history to go on for lifetime performance figures and overall longevity. The usual places that I have seen good reports have been in the various magazine product reviews, and those have been for the most part little more that excerpts from the manufacturer advertisements. One of the more recent reviews was the actual product description in the manufacturer advertisements. If you are going to do a product review, you should be able to do better than to just copy the manufacturers advertising hype.

I have learned the hard way to have little faith in magazine product reviews that never seem to note the serious deficiencies that are often part of many of the products reviewed. Especially with regard to one particular giant distributor with widely encompassing product lines.

The above did not state if the engines were good or bad, but there are many out there that have always been good or great, so why take the chance on getting something that may or may not work well when for a few dollars more you can assure success?

Brison R/C Engines make fine products that have always run well and easily for less cost than just about anybody out there. Fox, BME, ZDZ, DA, 3W, RCS also do very well, but for more money. Zenoah is an excellent line of engines, but always end up quite a bit heavier than others in the same size class, and are limited to magneto ignition systems unless they are converted by either RCIGN or CH Electronics at additional cost.

Just a couple of thoughts, but I hope they were useful in helping you make a decision regarding a gas engine purchase.

Without knowing the wingspan and anticipated weight of the plane you have, it's difficult to provide an engine size to go with. The other post regarding aircraft weights gave some pretty good weight references to assist in determining what size engine to purchase. Bear in mind that with a gasser, making a wise purchasing decision in the beginning will provide you with an engine that, barring impacts with the ground and poor care, will last longer than you will likely be flying, and will have good resale value should you decide to part with it later.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:58 AM

Default TO: Silversurfer

Thanx for the input. Jim
Old 10-24-2004, 09:03 PM

Thanks for all the input guys and thanks for the great information. I believe for my specific application the Brison 3.2 or possibly the 3.8 if I decide to mount the servo's int he rear of the airplane. I beleive the wingloading may be a little on the high side to begin with and possibly may go with the 3.2 for that reason to keep the wing loading down. Thanks again for the great advice and keep up the good work for providing the newbies to the hobby or different aspect of the hobby with solid information.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:41 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Three letters ZDZ. I love their light weight and easy starts and POWER.
My recomendation, ZDZ 50 at www.rcshowcase.com

Gunny