Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
 Impact of Elevation on "best" prop choice ?? >

Impact of Elevation on "best" prop choice ??

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Impact of Elevation on "best" prop choice ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impact of Elevation on "best" prop choice ??

I've been reading the seemingly endless posts on prop recommendations for Brison 3.2 engines. My question is this: Since I fly at 4800 ft msl I was wondering if the prop/engine performance will be similar. I realize I'll have a power (RPM) decrease due to less air density but will Prop X pull better than Prop Y at all elevations ? or will my results be dependent on my elevation with respect to the "best" prop ?

I'll be replacing an A&M 3.2 with a new Brison in my Giant Stinger. It's been a few years since I flew it and have forgotton which prop I liked best out of a handful of 22" and 20" Zinger wood props.

Anybody got any RPM / Prop numbers taken at 4800 ft msl ?
Old 10-27-2004, 12:59 PM

Default RE: Impact of Elevation on "best" prop choice ??

In my experience, I've found that the rpm is similar, but the thrust is considerably lower. You won't get great performance from ANY of the Zinger props, what I find works best is a wide bladed prop, something along the lines of an MSC or Biela works pretty well at higher altitudes. You need to get a better "hold" on the air to push it when it gets thinner.

HTH
Jim
Old 10-27-2004, 02:03 PM
My Feedback: (36)

You won't get great performance from any Zinger prop at any altitude. They're just not very good props when compared to others available. If you want to stick with a wood prop get yourself a 22x8 Menz S (S for standard) or MSC. If you don't mind spending $50 roughly pick up a 22x8 Biela or Mezjlik carbon fiber prop. My Brison 3.2 runs awesome with a 22x8 Biela. It pulls my 28% Laser 200 around with authority.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:20 PM

Who is a good mail-order source for the Menz and MSC props ?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:53 PM

[link=http://www.desertaircraft.com]Desert Aircraft[/link] sells Menz, Mezjlik, Air Models and Bolly. [link=http://www.aircraftinternational.com]Aircraft International[/link] sells 3W, MSC, Biela, Bolly, Fuchs and Menz among others.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:39 PM

I'll order a Menz 22X8S.

Do you think a 22X10 would help compensate for my altitude ? Or is that going to be too much pitch for the 3.2 ?

Experimentation is gonna be pricey !
Old 10-27-2004, 04:44 PM

Here at roughly 800' ASL a 22x10 on a Brison 3.2 is too much. For more thrust you want to go larger diameter any way. If the 22x8 turns at 75oo rpm or so try a 23x8. Either way I would stick with an 8-pitch prop. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2004, 04:54 PM

OK - thanks for the info....I'll post the results in a couple weeks when I get the engine fired up.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:11 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a full scale pilot I can tell you that you will turn higher RPM's at a higher altitude. You will need to run a leaner mixture and a higher pitched prop. Forget the 23 x 8 & go with a 21 x 10 Mej or 22 x 10 BME or 3W Prop (I don't think you can get Menz any more & the 3w & BME are both a great clones of the old Menz props). If it were me at 4800 MSL I woud run a Mejzlik 21 x 10 if I could find one. Check Don's Hobby out of Salina Kansas. He has all of these props. I'm not sure about the sizes.