Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Mejzlik vs Menz S on DA-50

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 07:26 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mejzlik vs Menz S on DA-50

I've been using a Mejzlik 22 x 10 on my 28% Wild Hare Edge this season. Started out with a G-62, then re powered it with a DA-50. I broke the DA in on the Mejzlik, and as of the other day, just finished my 6th gallon of fuel. I tried a Menz 22 x 10 this afternoon and couldn't believe the difference between the two props. The DA was turning the Mejzlik at 7400, where as the Menz was 6500. The first thing I noticed was when I went to taxi out to the runway, the plane really jumped forward. This prop really has the low end power as compared to the Mejzlik. The down line braking was better, and I was TR'ing at a lower rpm, maybe as much as 1000. It was very noticeable. Acceleration of the TR was about the same. Extended full throttle vertical runs were maybe a bit slower, but that can be misleading due to the lower rpm and lower noise. Elevators seemed better, with the nose up higher with just a tad of throttle. I did notice the cg change though. The Menz is 2 oz. lighter than the Mejzlik. The only big draw back I found was when it was time to land. With the Mejzlik, I could chop the power and slow it down to a crawl. With the Menz, the darn thing just want's to keep flying! My idle is down at 1500, so the prop is just pulling that much more air at lower rpm than the Mejzlik. I've got a 24x 8 Menz on back order. We'll have to see if it loads the DA-50 up too much. A 22 x 8 Menz might be just what the doctor ordered.

Is the rpm difference between the Mejzlik and Menz S pretty standard across the board in the other sizes also, or does a lot depend on which engine it hooked to?
Old 10-31-2004, 09:20 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Mejzlik vs Menz S on DA-50

FWIW- I really have not seen 900 rpm difference in those brands -on that size.
a few hundred is all
and strangly enough the MenzS on some sizes runs faster than the Mejzlic !
The menzS is a good puller at low revs tho
Old 10-31-2004, 09:48 PM

Well.........that's interesting. I didn't run the Mejzlik, take it off, and put the Menz on. The Mejzlik rpm figures were the last ones I had. I guess I need to try them right after each other and see what I get. The engine ran fine and didn't over heat at all with the Menz S. Maybe my Mejzlik is wore out. It's four years old and many,many hours.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:18 AM

I don't know what it is, but my Mejzlick loads my DA MUCH more than anyother brand I have tried. I get the same RPM or within a 100 between my 24x8 Menz and my 23x8 Mejzlick. Both get 6500 or so. The Mejzlick loads it up great, bu there is no spool lag and it pulls the plane like a freight train.

I like Mejzlick's for sure. Nothing wrong with a Menz either. I wouldn't run any other wood prop but a Menz. I have they stink.

Take it easy,

Norman Ross Jr.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:38 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can't wear em out -unless you rub em on the runway.
RPM tests are awfully subject to wide changes --unless comparsons are under same conditions.

Another funny one is the real laod differences in various sizes.
Some guys are wildly impressed with their high tach readings on 28/29" props (on 100's).
But compared to some 26/27" props - not much different.
On Bambula props -I found huge reductions in rpm - -if compared to Zinger. same sizes.
I now have accumulated an assortment of Mejzlic- to see how they setup the size/load changes.
It seems there are really no "good props /bad props " unless the tips waver while running .
Those be bad .