Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Considering a swap from GAS to GLOW in my Patrick >

Considering a swap from GAS to GLOW in my Patrick

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Considering a swap from GAS to GLOW in my Patrick

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 05:54 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a swap from GAS to GLOW in my Patrick

I'm tinkering with the idea of taking my BME 44 gasser OUT of my Patrick and putting IN the Moki 2.10 .

From RCFAQ's prop RPM data on the MOKI I see it spins the 20x10 Mejzlik prop in the the same 7600-7700RPM range that the BME turns it. Thrust HP says that would be about twenty seven pounds of static thrust , or a 1.7:1 power to weight ratio.

My field banned gasoline powered planes and my Patrick is getting more closet time than air time.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:47 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Let me know if you end up selling your BME. I'll have to do a little research, but I think it would be a good fit for my Cap 20L. It's about 18-20 lbs.

It has an ST3000 on it now, and I want to go Gas and more power. By the way, a friend has an OS BGX-1 35CC glow he is trying to sell. I think he wants like $185. I've never seen it run, but I hear they are good engines.

Mike
Old 09-23-2002, 07:12 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Banned Gassers?

Why would a club ban gassers? Do they pose that much more of a fire danger?

They arent necessarily noisier... Is this a new trend?

Ralph
Old 09-23-2002, 07:26 PM

The gas engines were banned across the board to address a complaining neighbor with a noise issue. I don't really want to get into all of that here. The long and short of it is that it was easier to ban all gas engines than it is to start objectively measuring sound pressures. I don't really agree with the ban, but the reality id our field is small, the neighbors are close and not many guys fly gas there anyway.

MHawker, I'm not at all interested in the BGX but your friend should list it here. If I do this swap I WILL be selling the BME. I'll look you up.

I really want to find out more about the performance of the MOKI 2.1 on a 15 pound airplane.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a Moki 1.8 in my DP Extra and it is an awesome combo. Unlimited vertical with a Perry pump and Top Flite 18x8 prop. I also have a pair of pliers in the engine box to balace it, so the extra weight of the 2.1 would be just fine. I have found that I am using about 10-12 ounces of fuel per 10-12 min flight. When you're not flying full power all the time the engine is actually a real miser.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:46 AM
EJB

Default No gas?.....no thanks!

I'd be looking for a different field.There are plenty of other fields in IL where you can fly gas. No way would I consider a Moki.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engines

EJB: Just wondering. Why do dislike Moki engines??? Thanks John
Old 09-30-2002, 06:21 AM
My Feedback: (17)

got a moki 1.8 on my 13.5lb ultrastick , 17-8 prop (ground clearance issue ) & i can point it straight up & it,ll keep going out of sight !!hovers at 1/2 throttle . a 2.10 would pull a 15 lb plane similarly . rob m
Old 09-30-2002, 10:29 AM

I've got a MOKI 1.8 on a 74" Extra and it's awesome. That plane weighs 13 3/4 pounds now that I put it on a diet. Performance is great.

I wouldnt mind swithing my Patrick from gas to glow if all big glow engines performed like the Moki.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:46 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Have you seen the video of the DP Extra running a moki 2.10? I think it answers the question of what to expect regarding performance pretty well. Here's the link to the thread.

http://rcuniverse.com/showthread.php...light=dp+extra

Mike
Old 09-30-2002, 02:13 PM

From the other thread I read
"If you like doing 3D, I would go with the MOKI for the weight. If you do IMAC, I would go with a 50cc gasser."
I'm still considering this gas for glow engine swap. The last thing I really want to know is if I can run the MOKI well mounted inverted . If I mount it on its side I woiuld definitely need to get a new cowl, repaint it and recut it. That would probably be a deal killer for me. I hated painting my cowl on this ARC airplane.

-Cheech
Old 09-30-2002, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 1.8 will fit fine side-mounted. It's not a 2.1 but it performs very well in this plane.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:30 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I know they say the moki can be mounted inverted, but a flying friend has tried with very little consistent success. The engine likes to be started very very wet so I think this works against you when mounted inverted. IMO it would not be practicle and I wouldn't mount the engine inverted.

Mike