Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
US Engines 35 starter spring explosion! >

US Engines 35 starter spring explosion!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

US Engines 35 starter spring explosion!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US Engines 35 starter spring explosion!

Has anyone had the starter spring on their US 35 or 41 slip off the one way shaft and snake out of the mount. Mine did after running only once in the engine stand. My dealer reluctantly gave me a new engine but everyone says that they have never heard of this. Have you? The replacement engine came with a pitts style muffler and runs 100% smoother with much more power. The original came with a weedeater style muffler and shaked like a snowblower. I think that the original engine was problably a remanufactured unit or old stock. The owners manual that came with the second engine was also much more comprehensive. Go figure.
Great Planes was very slow at responding to my problem as well.
Any similar experiences?
Old 10-10-2002, 02:43 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Great planes has adopted an arrogant customer satisfaction policy....Everything the goes awry or amiss is the users (customers) fault.

I would avoid any Great Planes products in the future.

Just my opinion.

There are many "Hungrier" companies in this Sport/Hobby that are competing for your dollar (Canadian or otherwise).....

I've observed this company from its beginnings and I no longer patronize it......
Old 10-10-2002, 12:05 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Nope, never seen that happen.

But, did want to throw my 2 cents in and agree that Great Planes has gone down hill and after less than satisfactory customer service I too would be hard pressed to buy anything from them in the future, even if they where the last R/C maker on earth........and their not. :thumbdown
Old 10-10-2002, 03:04 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Planes and bad customer service? You guys must be the unlucky exception, I have always had great customer service from GP. They have always been more than generous regarding warranties. Everyone in my club has had the same experience as me, nothing but the best.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not that it matters now, but the one way clutch that the spring hooks into caught while the motor was running and unwound the spring. Anything manmade WILL screw up.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:51 PM

Yep your right but I can't be the only one thats happened to. My dealer gave me a new engine but echoed the sentiments of the previous posts. I hope he doesn't have any trouble getting a new one for the shop.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:53 AM

I had this exact same happen to me. I did without the spring starter to save weight. I finally gave up on the US and went with a converted motor and haven't been unhappy since. Any questions let me know.

Allen
Old 12-01-2002, 04:42 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default US Engines and Great Planes

I had a problem with the early US Engines and after posting those problems on this forum and speaking with Great Planes about the engine as it was being distributed, it seems as though Great Planes made some changes and the engine has been of much better quality in recent shipments, at least those that I have seen purchased in the last few months.
As far as service goes, I believe Great Planes tries to accomodate you if you explain the problem and can show them that is was a manufacturers defect. After flying my US 41 for over a year and never having crashed the airplane or nosed it over, the coil fell off the jug and into the cowl of my Spitfire. The two lugs that hold the coil and are part of the jug just broke right off just behind the coil. I sent the engine back to Hobby Services with an explanation of what happened and in about 2 weeks, I received a brand new engine. I don't know how I could have received any better service or how a distributor could have stood behind a product any better. If you had a bad experience with Great Planes, try again, maybe there was the old dreaded "failure to communicate" problem.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Springs are not set and forget items.The anchor bolt ,fit in the bearing tube,lubrication etc must be checked regularly.The tension put on the system when starting has a big bearing too.I dont wind mine any more than necessary than to pop the piston over TDC,but I have watched many flyers wind the spring back as far as it will go and thats a lot of tension on the whole system.I have had nothing but good service from Great Planes/Tower .