Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas from fuel can to plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas from fuel can to plane

Hi all,
I'm just about finished my 28% extra and are now tidying up some of my field needs with gas, apart from purpose built pumps (gas proof) are there any easy cheep home made ideas for fueling your gas planes from the fuel can to the planes tank, I will be using a two line system with a T in the feed line and a gas proof dot on the fuzz, any and all ideas welcome
Thankx
Old 03-12-2006, 07:47 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Gas from fuel can to plane

I got a rubber bulb pump from the local boat store, and a red plastic one-gallon gas can. I set the can on top of the fuselage and pump the bulb a few times. The fuel siphons into the tank inside the plane while I am putting on the wings. After flying, I siphon the remaining fuel back into the can using a 2 foot long piece of tygon, with the can setting on the ground.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:03 AM

MPI makes a crank pump that is rated for glow AND gas. I've used one for 2 years, and I love it. It may be slower than some other method, but it's very easy to use.

Dr.1
Old 03-12-2006, 08:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a 2 liter coca cola bottle, and a Bicycle air pump. I pump pressure in the bottle, and the fuel flows through a filter into the tank.
I normally do not empty a tank. If I have to, I pump pressure in the vent line, and let the fuel flow out of the fill line.
My tank is a three line affair. a Fill line through tank-top to bottom, a vent line through bottom to top, and carb line with felt clunk.
The air pump has a built in check valve, made out of a bicycle inner tire valve.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:31 AM

DO NOT keep gasoline in ANYTHING except a container rated for gasoline storage. Gasoline burns easily and the vapors WILL explode and/or flash. As an ex-volunteer fireman, I can tell you several sad stories resulting from improper gasoline handling. Leave the pop bottles for pop.

The same pressure system preivers talks about can be used with an APPROVED gasoline storage container.

You should always carry a fire extinguisher, too.

Be safe, don't be sorry.

Dr.1
Old 03-12-2006, 09:05 AM

DR1
In principle you are right. I just have not found any other suitable container for my flight box yet.
The cola pop bottle is made of Polyethylene, has a very thick bottom wall, is completely gas resistant and can stand tremendous pressures. It is much more damage (pierce and scuff) resistant than my regular gas can.
I have equipped it with a special brass cap and sealed the plug using gas resistant O-rings.
My tank filling method is clean, and much less messy than using gas filled hand bulb pumps, so I guess it reduces the fire risk considerably.
All in all, I feel the system is safe. Much safer than a spark-prone metal container that would be needed to replace it.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:39 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Well it seems as you've taken precautions for yourself, but as a retired professional firefighter I can tell you that a major concern for emergency responders is the identification of hazards. In the USA, there are laws about storing hazardous substances in properly identified and rated containers for that exact reason. While it doesn't apply to you and is rarely enforced here, it is against the law for a gas station to dispense fuel into anything but a properly identified and rated container.

I've never been to a fire that the property owner, and that includes all types of vehicles, expected. It's one of those things that happen to someone else so people tend to store things in ways that should not be done. Having an unlabeled flammable substance in an unapproved container around your house or in your vehicle could lead to an unfortunate result.

Just something you might want to think about...
Old 03-12-2006, 01:51 PM

you are of course 100% right. BTW, I did label the bottle as gas, containing 2.5% oil, and recently I keep my fuel in a heavy gauge steel cupboard that once served as a lathe stand. Even so, I think in Holland too, it is not legally allowed transporting two quarts of fuel in a pop bottle. While it will do less damage when burning than a gallon-sized plastic tank full of gas, it still is too much in case of fire and legal scrunity.
But taking this issue one step further: Is the Dubro, Kavan, or equivalent gas tank in our planes legal? It's quality is way less than the sizzle pop pressure resisting PET bottles (tests went up to 20 bar, before the cap blew off!). The stopper is a doubtful affair at best, and the gas lines for filling etc. are installed by unskilled labour. 99% of all gas planes would not pass a design for fire resistance test. And I have reason to doubt that the last 1% will pass.
Any judge will find us guilty, and simply state "you knew what you got yourself involved in, so stop complaining"

I will not don my fire suit, nor my bullet proof vest, so shoot me or burn me at your wish.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:34 AM

Hi thanks all, the certified fuel cans, plastic not metal are readily avaiable here and the tyre valve and pump sound like a fairly good option, here in New Zealand it is on your own head if you are storing more than 20L of any flamable substance not in a purpose built storage housing/ cupboard. Kiss your insurance good bye.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:47 AM

I bought one of the 2.5 gallon size. I recieved it fast in the mail. For the price you can't beat it. I think they ship over seas to.

http://www.jerseymodeler.com/

Hope this helps

Shayne
Old 03-13-2006, 12:47 PM
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

ORIGINAL: preivers

I will not don my fire suit, nor my bullet proof vest, so shoot me or burn me at your wish.
No such intention on my part...

I always pay attention to your posts that I see in the various forums I usually read as you seem to be quite knowledgeable and conscientious.

I was just trying to point out possible hazards. As for the ratings of the various items you mention, you are no doubt aware of what a litigious society we have become in the USA. Product liability lawsuits here are doing their best to stifle creativity and innovation. While I don't have the written test data at my disposal, I dare say each of these has been tested to assure they perform in a satisfactory manor for the purpose intended. Then we get into the install and the whole thing breaks down since we are so loathe to require the same level of performance from the individual as we require from commercial entities. So the private individuals screw up the install and the manufacturer gets sued.

Go figure...
Old 03-13-2006, 04:30 PM

yep, that's how Piper aircraft went to pot.

Here a few pics of my fill bottle, cap system and airpump. My gas containers are regular affairs I assure you, but I never take a gallon canister to the field.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:01 PM
My Feedback: (15)

I bought one of the 2.5 gallon size. I recieved it fast in the mail. For the price you can't beat it. I think they ship over seas to.
Im not knocking the Jersey Model but they use a pump that is not approved for gas as well although they have taken steps to prevent a spark from the pump igniting.
What about my containers of Acetone? Epoxy burns well as I recall ahh found an excuse to quit building!!!
I use a VW hop up inline pump.
Doesnt it seem everyone worries way to much nowadays.
Oh did I mention I also reload
Old 03-14-2006, 05:35 AM

Hi, thanks for your ideas, I came up with this as I thought the pump sounded pretty good, all non metal pump, except the spring ( it only has to pump air ) regulation flammable liquids container and a hunt through the bike valve assortment at my local bike shop, I would like to put a small brass or fuel proof nylon or plastic tap on the feed line of this set up to prevent siphon or drips in the car or trailer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42983.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	425803  
Old 03-14-2006, 07:24 AM

Zen, that looks like a GOOD setup. APPROVED container, lines, and fittings, and a positive pressure delivery.

BTW, pe, in the USA, our stuff IS rated for gaosline or it would not say "For gasoline" on the package. I liked your pictures. They prove there are rednecks everywhere.

Dr.1
Old 03-14-2006, 02:51 PM

Zen,
For such a large container you also need a quick pressure relieve valve, or the fuel flow will not stop quick enough. I do that by just pulling the pump off the line. My bottle will not expand like your approved canster (ROFLMAO)
Explanation:
My first tank filling I was using glow fuel, I pumped too hard, the line popped off, and a huge fountain of fuel sprayed upwards. Lots of those who were watching my new system got a surprise bath [:-]. Now I pump no more than just delivering the fuel. When the tank is near full, I pull of the pressure line, the air pressure escapes, and the fuel flow stops.

@ Gerald,
I liked your pictures. They prove there are rednecks everywhere.
And all the time me thinks you is one too
Take care.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:11 AM
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: DMcQuinn

I got a rubber bulb pump from the local boat store, and a red plastic one-gallon gas can. I set the can on top of the fuselage and pump the bulb a few times. The fuel siphons into the tank inside the plane while I am putting on the wings. After flying, I siphon the remaining fuel back into the can using a 2 foot long piece of tygon, with the can setting on the ground.
This is how I fuel my plane also, the fuel bulbs can be had at wal-mart for just a few bucks.

Great minds think alike ...............
Old 03-16-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a car electric fuel pump I picked up at the auto wreckers. Solenoid diaphram pump. Been using it for the last 10 yrs.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:45 PM

A Mercedes windshield washer pump works good also for gas. I have been using one for years.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:55 PM

we packed both gas and our smoke fluid in pump weed sprayers, a couple of pumps and you are filled. most weed poisons are of a hydrocarbon nature and after years of use showed no signs of degradation
Old 03-19-2006, 06:59 PM
My Feedback: (30)

Hi,

Before I went to an approved gas pump, I used compressed CO2 through a regulator to pressurize my approved gas container which then filled the plane tank. With this method, all the head space in the gas container was filled with CO2 and since CO2 is heavier than air, it remained in the container after I removed the pressure. To defuel, I pressurized the plane tank and filled the tank with CO2 for storage and transport. No fumes and no smell. Occasionally, I would get in a hurry and get the pressure too high and blow the fuel tank cap. For the past 4 years, I have been using a sonic tronics gas pump. We pump a lot of fuel with each plane carrying 75 ozs of fuel and multiple flights per day.

Elson