Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Mounting Fuji BT-32EI

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:54 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting Fuji BT-32EI

I purchased a Fuji BT-32 EI for an aircraft I am building. When I ordered it, I was not aware of the fact that the mount included with the engine did not extend past the muffler, which is mounted between the firewall and the motor. The mount basically extends to the edge of the muffler, coming about 1 1/2 inched short. The instructions tell you to basically drill a monster hole in the firewall to allow the muffler to be recessed so that the mount will reach the firewall. I don't like the idea of cutting into a firewall, especially around the outer edge where the firewall. So my plan was to create some aluminum spacers to go between the mount and the firewall. It would have to be beefy but it should work. Does anyone have any inputs on the spacers? Perhaps there is another method I'm not thinking of? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:00 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mounting Fuji BT-32EI

Use 1" diameter hardwood dowels, each cut to the same length. Drill holes through each to pass the mounting bolts.

Also use fender washers (big washer with small hole) between mount and dowels and between dowels and firewall.

You have to figure the thickness of the washers when cutting the dowels.

Use the largest size bolts you can get and I like washers with safety nuts rather than blind nuts inside the firewall.

Or you can spend lots of $$$ and get neat looking aluminum spacers from many manufacturers.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:01 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Do the Fuji engines still come with the flimsy tin mounts ? If so, B&B Specialties has some better mounts...The instructions I saw with one of the first 32s said not to run the engine on a test stand with the included mounts...I guess they wanted the fuselage to take up part of the stress from vibration...Bennett's mounts are stronger....[8D]
Old 04-03-2006, 12:17 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks for the replies guys. 1 inch dowels would definitely be easier and cheaper to work with. I checked the B&B site and didn't see anything that I could use. I'll have to check again to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks again.

Randy