Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA50 - No Fire

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DA50 - No Fire

I just installed my DA50 and am trying to fire it up for the first time, but it will not fire. I have 5.2 volts coming out of the regulator for the ignition module, but even removing the plug and spinning the prop with the plug against the cylinder shows no fire.

bad ignition module?

Old 11-11-2006, 07:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DA50 - No Fire

REYN,
It wouldn't surprise me. If you have bypassed the switch and wired the battery directly to the module and have a battery for example a 1400 mah that has enough output to fire the module than I would say you are correct. If you are running a Lipo or Lion and are going through a regulator I would try connecting a 4 cell pack to the module and try that. If that doesn't work call DA monday and talk to them. They will probably have you box it up and send it to them. My engine was new in January. I installed it on my plane and had trouble with the engine quitting. I thought it was the carb or the plumbing. I made an engine stand so I could check everything out without bending over and kneeling on the cold ground or floor. When checking, the engine would run for maybe a minute and quit. By the time I could check the spark like you did the spark would be there again (*&%$*). Any way I finally caught it not firing and called them. They made me send in the whole engine. Just 2 days ago I sent in the new ignition module. On ground range checks with the engine running my PCM receiver would go into failsafe while the engine was running. After checking everthing out I couldn't find anything wrong with the receiver or any connections or metal to metal vibrations etc. I put a PPM receiver in the plane and I couldn't even move away from the plane zero feet and all the control surfaces went nuts. I borrowed a ignition module from a friend and installed it and everything returned to normal. As far as I'm concerned I think their modules are a weak link. It seems to me that all the manufacturers are a little weak in this area.... Bill
Old 11-11-2006, 07:54 PM
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: reyn3545

but even removing the plug and spinning the prop with the plug against the cylinder shows no fire.
The plug is already grounded thru the plug wire so you dont have to hold it against the cylinder..My only problem with the igniton was the pickup sensor wire..I checked everything as you did and that was the problem..
Old 11-11-2006, 08:15 PM
My Feedback: (51)

Sometimes it's the most dumb thing... plugging the battery in backwards will cause no contact, kill switch ot installed correctly, switch installed backwards.

Slow down and become methodical... eliminate evrything but the battery (use a 4-5 cell nicad/nimh to test... no reg) and plug it in direct to the ignition.

I once spent an hour trying to find a "problem" with the engine... later found it was just I pkugged the Hitec battery connector into a Futaba switch jack backwards... no juice. No spark...

As I said... sometimes it's the simpest things that get us.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:40 PM

Yep.... What they said.... Gotta cover all possibilities. I have already set up my entire Biplane and tried a radio check only to find out I had one of the aileron connections backwards - aauugghh [>:]. I have done that twice. Hopefully never a third time. Now I check before putting on the top wing. We should learn from our mistakes.... Bill
Old 11-11-2006, 08:43 PM
My Feedback: (4)

also eliminate the anderson powerpole conector red and black plastic connecter suplyed by DA. these are a notorious problem. replace with a deens ultra or just solder them.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: mstroh3961

also eliminate the anderson powerpole conector red and black plastic connecter suplyed by DA. these are a notorious problem. replace with a deens ultra or just solder them.
Thats a good point..they get loose and lose contact..I haven't replaced mine yet cause I havent had any problems but I do wrap them in foam to try and reduce vibration..I will prolly solder on some deans this winter though..much more secure..
Old 11-11-2006, 08:48 PM
My Feedback: (51)

I use the mini-deans... plenty of amp capacity and lighter... Gotta watch those grams on the 50cc planes...

With their little lips, srink wrapping them together locks them in good too.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Maudib

I use the mini-deans... plenty of amp capacity and lighter... Gotta watch those grams on the 50cc planes...

With their little lips, srink wrapping them together locks them in good too.
LOL!! Im getting ready to put a smoke system in my EF Yak..I better get those mini-deans!!
Old 11-11-2006, 08:58 PM

I never thought of the mini deans either. I have some in the basement just sitting there... I am building a Yak at present and guess where they'll be going.... Duh.... Bill
Old 11-12-2006, 09:46 AM
My Feedback: (45)

I've had this happen to me on a New DA-50 and starting it for the first time. It takes a long time to get the gas to the carb, several flips. And once the gas has made it to the carb, keep the choke on and keep flipping until it pops. It takes allot of flips on the first attempt. But once fuel is in the system, it should be choke, 3-4 flips, choke off, 3 flips and your off and running. But I thought for sure the Ign. was faulty, because the spark is so hard to see