Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

residual gas odor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:51 AM
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default residual gas odor?

I would like to get a gas engine for my next project ( P51). The only question I can never get a clear answer on is, GAS ODOR. Is there a residual gas smell when the airplance is not in use? The reason I'm asking this question is that all my airplanes are kept in my building room which is one converted over from when one of my kids moved out. When it comes to odors, if there is a little bit there, my wife will pick up on it. Any information you people can supply will help me decide if its gas or glow. Thanks Joe
Old 01-31-2007, 12:23 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: residual gas odor?

Yes,,, it's my limited experience that both gas and glow have an after-odor for a few days. Stays around longer the warmer the temp is where their stored of course. It's not that much differant than your weed eater or lawn mower when using a gasoline engine.
You could try two things. One,,, get out your windex and add a little (1/4oz) of amonia to the bottle. Wipe your plane down just like you did before with your glow planes after flying for the day.
Two,, keep your wings in wing-bags and your fuse in a large plastic covering. Place several dryer sheets in the bags as well. They help eat up gas/glow odors.

With the weather being so nasty lately all I can do is think about flying .
Might just have to go out and sniff my Spitfire.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:25 PM
My Feedback: (98)

I found if I run it out of gas then plug the vent line it has very little odor. You could probably stick the nose in a plastic garbage bag with a draw string and stop all smells from the plane.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:40 PM

same here....I plug the exhaust, vent line, and carb....no smell
Old 01-31-2007, 01:36 PM
WLJ
My Feedback: (108)

There is a product that will change the odor of gas to several Fruit smells. I don't remember what the product was called, but I read about it here on RCU. Maybe a search will turn it up, or someone else will remember seeing it and what it was called.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:32 PM

I keep all three gas planes and a gas RC truck in my basement. There is no discernable gas odor after the 1st day of flying (it is MINOR). My wife, who has a sensitive nose, doesn't complain Unless of course I spill some gas. It helps to plug the vent line with a screw or something else. After owning Gas, I personally have sold all glow engines. It's Gas or Electric for ME!!
Old 01-31-2007, 02:37 PM
My Feedback: (16)

While there is an odor it's strength depends on how much gas actually gets on the plane and high tight your building or shed is. I have found that if I keep the take sealed (plug the vent) there isn't a problem. I don't run my planes dry, I just make sure the vent is plugged. You can go to Jegs in Columbus Ohio and get some liquids that will change the smell. The Bubble Gum smell is the best for covering up the gas odor. [link=http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_746462_-1_10317]JEG'S High Performance[/link]
Old 01-31-2007, 03:01 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gassers do have a residual odor. I'm with everyone else in that if you plug up the openings and wipe her down at the end of the day it's a non issue. Another way to eliminate the odor is to flush the engine with oil, but man what a hassle! You still have to do the wipe down.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:18 PM

You can also buy aviation fuel . It doesn't have a smell. So I have been told. I just plug the lines and wipe then down like everyone else. If you are storing them indoors make sure they are away from any pilot lights. Water heaters, stoves, space heaters. If the fumes get to a fire source you can have a fire. Do ask me how I know.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all else fails, Use Alkylate fuel like Aspen. It does have a smell, but it is non-lingering, and not strong or offensive.
Drawback is, that some engines are very hard to adjust well, or will not start when warm. I found out, that this is more carb than engine dependant. The Walbro WT201 as used in DA50 and MVVS45 are bad offenders
Old 01-31-2007, 06:08 PM
My Feedback: (20)

If the fumes get to a fire source you can have a fire. Do ask me how I know.
Ok,,, gotta ask. What's the story ?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 PM

OK Kurt you had to ask didn't you. Wasn't anything to do with RC. I was putting some baseboard molding in my game room. A nail went through the molding and into a spray paint can on the other side of the wall. I pulled the can off the nail and it started to spray out paint. So I pushed it back on the nail (it was still leaking a little) and went out to the garage to get a plastic bag to put the can in. On my way back from the garage I closed the door and the flumes from the paint must have got to the water heater pilot light and lit up everything in the small hallway. Being a Fireman it would not have been a very good thing to burn my house down. I would have never hear the end of it. So I grabbed one of my fire extinguishers and knocked the fire down. The fire really didn't do any damage but the extinguisher really made a mess to my brand new game room. So as I said watch out for those flumes. If you have ever been in a body shop look and see where there water heater is. You will be surprised.

So Kurt are you happy now. Hopefully this will prevent someone from really getting hurt.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 PM
My Feedback: (79)

Thanks for the replies, GAS it is! Joe