Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
 Receiver Controlled Ignition Switch >

Receiver Controlled Ignition Switch

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Receiver Controlled Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 04:50 PM
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver Controlled Ignition Switch

At one time on here, I saw info on a receiver controlled ignition switch for gas engines. It was not the typical optical fiber and was about half the cost. If anyone has any info on this please forward me the link.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:49 PM
My Feedback: (48)

Default RE: Receiver Controlled Ignition Switch

If you mean a TX controlled ign. switch, I use these http://www.rcatsystems.com/electronics/rc100.php
Old 02-09-2007, 09:15 PM

I've been using the RC100 for over two yrs, it works flawlessly. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:57 PM
My Feedback: (16)

can you give more detail of your application?
What engine and radio system.
How long is your runs and how far is your system seperated from the ignition?

ORIGINAL: torqmeister

I've been using the RC100 for over two yrs, it works flawlessly. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:36 AM

Geistware, my current application is in an EF 87" Yak. The RC100 is a simple on/off electronic switch.

The ignition module is mounted on the side of the motor box.
The ignition battery is mounted behind the first bulkhead. There is a standard slide switch next to the battery. The battery hooks directly to the slide switch, then the RC 100 hooks into the hot wire from the slide switch to the ignition regulator. The RC 100 has a connection directly to an open channel on the receiver. I have used it with a Futaba 9C, & am currently using a Futaba 12Z. The ignition battery & slide switch are approximately 6 - 7 in from the ignition module.

I hope I've explained this ok.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:15 AM

I have used the rc100 on four gassers hooked up in the same manner as torqmeister describes. They work great. If you are concerned about the radio component/ignition component proximity, RCAT has that addressed in some verbage on their website. I have found no problems with it.

Mike
Old 02-10-2007, 11:56 AM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

If you are running a 6 volt receiver system make sure you specify that the RC100 needs to be compatible with this. They are making adjustments for the next ones they are getting, but the ones they have in stock now will need modification.

http://rcatsystems.com/pdf/rc100_datasheet.pdf
Old 02-10-2007, 07:22 PM

STG, I am looking at a brand new RC 100 ElectronicR/C PWM Switch in the pkg. It is rated 5 amps @ 30 V DC & 5A @ 120 V AC. I run a 7.4V 2S li-poly, & the RC 100 is hooked in between the switch & the regulator, So it gets between 7.4 & 8 volts all the time. I have had this one RC 100 in two planes for a total of 221 flights. That is in excess of 44 hours of engine run time, & not one problem. It simply works flawlessly. I would not build a gasser without one.
ORIGINAL: STG

If you are running a 6 volt receiver system make sure you specify that the RC100 needs to be compatible with this. They are making adjustments for the next ones they are getting, but the ones they have in stock now will need modification.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:51 PM
STG

STG, I am looking at a brand new RC 100 ElectronicR/C PWM Switch in the pkg. It is rated 5 amps @ 30 V DC & 5A @ 120 V AC. I run a 7.4V 2S li-poly, & the RC 100 is hooked in between the switch & the regulator, So it gets between 7.4 & 8 volts all the time. I have had this one RC 100 in two planes for a total of 221 flights. That is in excess of 44 hours of engine run time, & not one problem. It simply works flawlessly. I would not build a gasser without one.
ORIGINAL: STG

Here is a quote from email dated 2/8/07

The switch side (what is being turned on/off) can handle 30VDC at 5A load. The issue is with the microprocessor on the board, so it is what is being supplied to your receiver. It has a max rating of around 6.5V. Some ā€œ6Vā€ packs end up being a lot higher than 6V when charged.

Regards,
Michael Luvara
RCAT Systems
www.rcatsystems.com
408-830-0745
Old 02-10-2007, 07:58 PM
STG

With the RC100 it looks like the fail & default position is open(or off). They also recommend that you have an ignition switch on the outside of the plane that is accessible in case of emergency. Well, if you have a receiver switch that is accessible and it is plugged into the receiver & default is off and fail is off then could you not use your receiver switch to turn off the ignition in case of emergency?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:49 AM

Are you telling me that the ignition battery is going straight to receiver? And, if so, then my regulator must be between my ignition battery & the RC 100 electronic switch. I will go to my workshop later & check this out.

Right now, the ignition battery voltage( 7.4-8.2V ) is going to a slide switch, then the RC100, then the ignition regulator. Before physically checking, my reasoning is that I am not getting the ignition voltage to the receiver, because when the ignition slide switch is in the on position(and the receiver slide switches are in the off position) the recei

ver has no power to activate any of the control surfaces. My reasoning is, that the receiver has no switch of its own, it only knows to work if it getting voltage input, & it doesn't care where this voltage comes from. The receiver switches don't actually turn the receiver on or off. They only control the current from the receiver batteries.

Please correct me if my thinking is wrong here.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:50 AM
STG

Are you telling me that the ignition battery is going straight to receiver? And, if so, then my regulator must be between my ignition battery & the RC 100 electronic switch. I will go to my workshop later & check this out.

Right now, the ignition battery voltage( 7.4-8.2V ) is going to a slide switch, then the RC100, then the ignition regulator. Before physically checking, my reasoning is that I am not getting the ignition voltage to the receiver, because when the ignition slide switch is in the on position(and the receiver slide switches are in the off position) the recei

ver has no power to activate any of the control surfaces. My reasoning is, that the receiver has no switch of its own, it only knows to work if it getting voltage input, & it doesn't care where this voltage comes from. The receiver switches don't actually turn the receiver on or off. They only control the current from the receiver batteries.

Please correct me if my thinking is wrong here.

As far as I understand,

"The issue is with the microprocessor on the board, so it is what is being supplied to your receiver. It has a max rating of around 6.5V. Some ā€œ6Vā€ packs end up being a lot higher than 6V when charged. "--the switch gets it's power to activate from the receiver (like your servos)--so the limitation is the voltage driving the switch (that is plugged into your receiver)

Sounds like yours is set up correctly if you are not running more than 6.5v max into your receiver. Even if you are, it sounds like your RC100 is doing fine at a higher voltage.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:47 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi All,

Thanks for the interest in the switches.

To clarify in case any of my emails have been confusing- The switch receives power from being plugged into your receiver. Whatever is supplied to your receiver is what the RC-100 sees. If you are running a regulator that keeps the voltage down under 6V, you should be fine. With newer battery technologies and the desire to power servos at higher voltages, we have been some instances where the switch is "overvoltaged" and it can fail. The lines that switch on/off can be subjected to 30VDC at 5A of current.

In the case of an electronic ignition usage, the switch is simply inserted into the circuit that powers the electronic ignition. The switch itself is powered by the receiver and can control the on/off of your ignition module.

For those that request it, I can modify the switch to clamp the voltage down some on the input to the device. In the long run, we'll make some changes to the devices, but for now, we have alot of stock and don't plan on stopping the presses. The number of users that have reported any issues like this has been very small.

Michael Luvara
RCATS
Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 AM
STG

I have ordered the RC100 switch. RCAT is going to modify the switch for use with 5 cell receiver battery.

My plan is to run this switch as my only ignition switch. I plan to wire it into a "Y" extension so I have place to recharge the ignition battery. I am open to change my mind on this. The switch defaults to open (or off) when there is no power or it fails. That means I should be able to shut down the motor at the plane in an emergency by turning off my receiver switch.