Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

First gasser questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:48 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First gasser questions

Thinking about gettign a first gasser, and have a few practical questions.

1. Noise. On stock mufflers (say, can type) how noisy is ~45cc engine compared to similar-class glow engine (say, 1.6 size)? Will the neighbors call the caps right away if I go fly in a nearby park (it IS large enough for that )
2. After-flight clean up. How messy are gas engines compared to glow? How hard is it to clean up the model?
3. Smell (don't laugh--I live in an apartment!). Is it even feasible to keep a small gasser in an apartment or is it going to really stink it up? I have a separate small room for my workshop but it's connected to a main hallway.

Thanks gius--appreciate your help.

Andy
Old 04-18-2007, 03:19 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: First gasser questions

Noise is relative, along with the tone of the noise. The glow engine is much higher pitched and extremely annoying. The gasser is similar to lawn mowers and leaf blowers you hear all the time.

There is very little mess or clean up. For the most part a single dry paper towl will take care of anything on the bottom. The amount of oil residue also depends on how much oil you use in the fuel. In a manner of speaking you can taylor the amount of oil residue. That's not really a good idea though

Inside living space storage could be an issue, especially if you leave gas in the tank. Plug the vent line, and wrap a trash bag around the nose of the plane to restrict fuel/exhaust emissions.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:06 PM

Thanks. Looks like I shoudl wait until I get a garage to be in a safe side . Good news on little mess though---I really dislike the glow fuel residue.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:38 PM

Guys I have a brand new DA-50R with the 32:1 mix oil. It really makes a black mess on the bottom of the airplane. 70% alcohol doesn't seem to get it clean. Any other suggestions??

TIA
Old 04-19-2007, 05:43 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple Green, liquid dish soap, Mr Clean spray cleaner. Change mix to 50-1. Get rid of the Lawnboy ashless....
Old 04-19-2007, 05:50 PM

Thanks. I will get rid of it after the fourth gallon. (break in)