Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Need Advice on Gas Engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Advice on Gas Engines

I have flown .40 to .61 glow engines for many years, but never have tried a gas engine. I've been told: "if I try gas, I'll never go back to glow". So I've decided to buy a gas engine and give it a try. I want to keep flying the same size planes I'm used to. 65 inch to 80 inch wingspan and 7 to 12 pounds. ( I know this is on the small size for gas.) I would like to hear from some experienced gas engine flyers about what would be the best gas engine in the 20cc to 25cc size. Any and all opinions and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
JC
Old 04-22-2007, 02:44 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need Advice on Gas Engines

IN 20cc you don't have a lot of choices. It's essentially Zenoah. In 26cc the market opens up a little. Problem with engines in this size is the plane they generally fit take a weight hit because of the gas engine. Some don't but most do. Contact RCIGN1 and talk with him about his lightweight, electronic G-26 conversions. They work very well. Someone is bound to pop and and tell you about a clone or two in this size class.

Set up right and keeping the weight of a smaller plane in line with what it was and you won't go back to glow. In fact, you'll probably start selling all that stuff off to get more and larger gas planes. Happens EVERY time! Nothing like showing up at the field with the plane, a gas can, the transmitter, and an allen wrench to secure the canopy. All the rest of the flight box garbage is at home in the garage.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Silversurfer: You sure got that right! I may keep a couple of my favorite glow set-ups though! Capt,n
Old 04-22-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first gasser was the Mvvs 1.60. I bought it from Pe, and he had it set up superbly. The engine was a great replacement for my OS 1.20 four stroke, I mean fit the bolt pattern and all and it looked and operated like a two stroke glow, so much so that I felt very familiar with it from the start. I do think I flew for some time though with the engine very rich, but you can't blow up an engine that way. The engine will fly a great host of 1.20 and 1.40 planes. I particularly like them in warbird setups as I think that take up far less room in cowls than some other brands.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16001.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	670232