Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New to Gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:00 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Gas

Was hoping to drop in and get the ABC's of gas. All my life I've flown glow and now that I'm getting in to bigger planes, gas is a very viable option.

Could someone run down the basics? Some questions I have are:

- What are the pros and cons of each (besides price of running and weight)?
- Anything special required to start gas planes?
- Maintenace vs glow engines?
- Is there a break even point on the size of aircraft where gas is really not ideal (like say .60 size)?
- What are the great gas engines if you had to rank them? (I know this is very subjective but in the glow world I feel at least its fairly obvious especially when it comes to 4stroke).

Basically any advice you can share would be great.
Thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 06:38 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New to Gas

#1 switch to gas when you get tired of wiping goop off your plane after every flight. Bigger planes present better in the air. More real flight characteristics.
#2 If it aint fun unless it's dangerous then avoid big gas engines. starts are easy. get a good welding glove, pull hard, and run like ----.
#3 Have you counted how many posts here in the last couple days? No more maintenance than glow no less. Big engines vibrate harder and more. Planes can take it but constant attention to detail is a must.
#4 40cc or 2.8cuin. Hard to get a small airplane to fly well with a heavy engine.Almost all 25cc to 35cc engines weigh as much as some of the newer 40 to50cc engines.
#5 depends on the size you want. If you stay with gas you will end up in the 50cc or 100 or 150cc size classes. Planes are designed around these engines. You will spend all your money eliminating weight. start light and you do not have to buy twice. 40-50cc BME, Brilleli. Light and balanced engines. 100cc DA, 3W, BME. It's all about chest pumping here. "Mines best" 150cc haven't a clue but there's really only two.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:43 PM

I have running gas for 15-20 years, I like the Zenoah engines for decent power and reliability.
My G26 Zenoah makes close to the same power as the OS 1.6 FX, my G62's run with other engines of equal size. From what I have seen is engines which have a magnito seem to be more reliable, this is my limited observation and I prefer mags.
The smell can be a drawback, you have to use gas proof tank, lines and stopper (don't use sullivan tanks as I have seen them fall appart over time), I usually use dubro tanks with special gas proof stoppers and tygon line.
Glow engines usually make more HP because methanol makes about 20% more HP than gas, and are lighter because they don't need ignition.
Gas engine will usually last for hundreds of hours of opperation if you use good oil, I break in my engines on the best petrolium 2 stroke oil like yamalube 2-R or 2-S.
After break in I use AMSIOL mixed per instructions on the oil not the engine, the quality of the oil determines the ratio not the engine.
Size cutoff for me is about 72" or small 1/4 scale as this size is decent for my G26.
Starting, some use a starter, I just prop mine, even the G-62's, use a good thick leather glove if they are stubborn I use starter fluid.
GSM
Old 05-05-2007, 01:51 PM

Would you happen to have any recommendations on what gas engines would go well with a 30 size helicoptor?
Thanks.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:12 PM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: air20

Would you happen to have any recommendations on what gas engines would go well with a 30 size helicoptor?
Thanks.
30 size helicopters run on GLOW engines.

Not gas.

GAS engines run on gasoline and 2-stroke oil--just like your chainsaw or weedie.

A 30 size helichuwopter runs on a glow engine. GLOW engines use methanol (alcohol) and nitromethane with about 15%--25% oil for lubrication.

You need to post your question in the Heli Forum. I suggest you start in the Beginners Forum.

Here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_228/tt.htm
Old 05-05-2007, 02:26 PM
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: talbert

Was hoping to drop in and get the ABC's of gas.
A--Always
B--Be
C--Chillin'

Thats what you'll be doin' when you get your hands on your first gasser.

- What are the pros and cons of each (besides price of running and weight)?
Pros of Gas:
Gas is more reliable
Fuel is cheaper
Torque

Cons of Gas:
Expensive up-front costs
Weight
They aren't idiot proof yet.

Pros of Glow:
Cheaper up-front costs
Almost any idiot can make one run decently
Simple operation

Cons of Glow:
Fuel costs are high
No torque
Not every idiot can make one run right
Messy
Rediculously, rudimentary, simple, POS carbs

- Anything special required to start gas planes?
Leather glove
Gas Can
TX

- Maintenace vs glow engines?
Put a spark plug in it every couple years
Put a carb kit in it when the diaprams dry out and it starts running funny
Put good oil in it--NOT EXPENSIVE oil. GOOD oil.

- Is there a break even point on the size of aircraft where gas is really not ideal (like say .60 size)?
You can use a BME .90 in a .60 size plane. Is it economical? I dunno--you rich? I wouldn't do it. I only fly cheap conversion engines under 40cc. My other engines are 50cc--60cc and 80cc. I don't think it's woprth the trouble, money and effort to fly gas on smaller planes.

- What are the great gas engines if you had to rank them? (I know this is very subjective but in the glow world I feel at least its fairly obvious especially when it comes to 4stroke).
Thats a can of worms that I'm not touching today.

Maybe tomorrow after the DA guys start beating their chests--I'll come back and recommend stock in a shipping company if you plan to buy one of those--but for now, I'll keep quiet. Did I just say that out loud? [sm=lol.gif]
Old 05-05-2007, 06:24 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Best post Winner of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!