Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ZDZ 80 timing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 04:08 AM
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ZDZ 80 timing

This was posted on another forum/thread regarding timing....I think my timing might be a little retarded, so I think I will try to advance it to get better performance compared to another ZDZ 80 (same prop and same altitude...I'm down 1000 RPM). My question is this...what will advancing the timing do to the operation of the engine (will it try to backfire and go into "self-desruct" mode and will it try to smash my fingers to smithereens by kicking back when starting ( kinda' grown attached to all 10 digits)! I have the instructions and am familiar with the 6mm adjustment....havent checked it yet (cowl still on) but set it where it was when I recieved the engine from RCS. Here is the post I'm refering to.... sounds about right, I just don't want to damage me or the engine while doing this

Low power......advance the timing.
If you think you have the timing set perfectly now, just take a scribe and draw a line next to the plastic sensor holder position, so you can always return the sensor to where you had it.

Advance the timing - move the sensor holder all the way clockwise, lock down the phillips screws and fire the thing up.
Check rpm with your tach. If it's more rpm than before, leave the timing where it is.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:35 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 80 timing

The engine won't kick back with the full static advance. The only nasty thing these engines can do is take off running in the forward direction hard enough to catch the back of your hand if you don't get it out of the way by the time the next prop blade comes around. That only happens if you don't get the engine wet enough with the choke. Also, make sure your throttle is set to a low idle - higher throttle tends to give a lean mixture when hand cranking, which makes the engine want to go kapow and catch the back of your hand. Remember....no wussy flips. Flip it hard and follow through.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:48 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Default ZDZ 80 timing

If you are losing power for no apparent reason, it is possible that your ignition is going bad. I suggest setting the ZDZ advance at the manufacturer's recommendation. Consult with RC Showcase if something seems to be wrong. They are great team.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:10 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ZDZ 80 timing

The current Falkon - set per factory specs IS the cool setup.
Tried all kinds of settings.
the reason is that the low initial firing point, makes for best idle .
I have yet to see one of this new ignition design go bad - tho I am sure it happens - .
It happens to ALL brands sooner or later.
Use a good 4.8 v batt - good switch and clean plug and cap.
that's about it.
low power can be a carb - old fuel - poor mixture of fuel -
crummy muffler etc.
even at our 4500 ft elevation - I don't see any improvement in advanced ignition --tho I do run my cars at max allowable advance- which now is pretty much -- a factory setup - thanks to comfukin puters.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:50 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default ZDZ 80 timing

Wow Dick:
Nice end run around the computer police!
Old 04-18-2003, 03:04 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default Re: ZDZ 80 timing

Originally posted by furloughed ual
[B]This was posted on another forum/thread regarding timing....I think my timing might be a little retarded, so I think I will try to advance it to get better performance compared to another ZDZ 80 (same prop and same altitude...I'm down 1000 RPM).
What muffler are you using? and what prop?
Old 04-19-2003, 02:33 AM

Default ZDZ 80 timing

Bambula 24x10, Bisson inverted Pitts, 6100RPM, about 3-4 gallons through it.....5400' field elevatoin....my buddy has the same set up (Bambula 24x10, not positive its the Bisson muffler, but not sure a different brand inverted pitts would be a 1000 RPM difference) and is turinig 7000+ RPM....what gives? Dick what RPM have you gotten at 4500' there in UT?
Old 04-19-2003, 03:49 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default ZDZ 80 timing

Ive also got the Bisson muffler, and I was only getting 5500 with a 26x10, even after 10 gallons. I did mess with the timing today with no changes. I will bet money that the problem is the muffler, and I ber your buddy has a Super Sonic muffler
Old 04-19-2003, 01:24 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ZDZ 80 timing

This week I have been fixing some older/burnt up engines - so -I ran em to see what rpm was when reassembled.
Using a MenzS 26x12 S as a reference- I get 5900 -6100 rpm on a header curve (KS). directly into a JMB 70x400 can- this setup is aprox equal to open exhaust --but is very quiet.
The in cowl mufflers can -tho not all do - really take a whack out of power .
Old 04-21-2003, 02:27 AM

Default OOPS!!!!!

Just found out today that he was running a Mezjlek 24x10 and getting 7000 compared to my 6100 on a Bambula 24x10....big difference here as a Mezjlick will turm faster than most props the same size...my guess is that if I put the Mezjlek on mine, I would be right up there at 7000 too. I did advance the timing on my 80 and acually lost power (advanced it on a friends ZDZ 50 and gained 500 RPM, still maintained excellent idle and transition). On a side note, I cut the rolled ends off the Bisson Pittts and went from 6100 to 6300 RPM, but it did have a slightly harsher sound (more noticible at idle).....